IGNORED

Far Cry 6 - Island Fring

Harsin

Having played a little more I think this is the worst big budget title I've played in years. Far Cry 5 had its issues but at its core it had some good mechanics and it's a masterpiece compared to this. 

Go to a road a blow up a truck - wait till more people come - cause some chaos. The way NPCs just get stuck, ramming their bikes again an again into an object. Baddies that have no concept of you as a threat just running around aimlessly. Headshooting enemies again and again that do nothing. Terrible animation of NPCs - like early 2000's bad. 

I'm out, it's going on Ebay tomorrow. 

Enjoyed this for the first few hours but just finding it incredible frustrating now. You just get sucked into this loop of playing similar missions and upgrading your equipment (even more frustrating because there’s always something better!) 

I know recent Ubisoft games all had elements of this and the whole games as a service mentality but just takes it too far. It just smacks of a game where business decisions influence gameplay and the result is a game with no real artistic qualities. At the end of the last few sessions I’ve just felt disappointed in myself for playing it for so long and not doing something more productive. Deleted for good this time! 

Fun bug with the new update: weapon wheel becomes unusable, at seemingly random moments.

Managed to get my fishing Rod active so caught a load of carp. Was a more chilled session than I anticipated.

Also unlocked a new amigo:

Spoiler

Oluso, an awesome black panther. Haven’t really bothered with the amigos so far, but having a panther is almost as good as Cheeseburger from FC5

On 30/10/2021 at 19:31, spanx said:

Yeah just cancelled my Ubi+ Account as I’m bored of this after enjoying it for a couple of weeks. Too much, too big, too samey. 

Yeah I gave up earlier this week, probably about half or more the way through but who knows, I haven't even been to where that big tower is. Maybe I'll come back one day when I'm bored enough.

The new patch still hasn’t fixed the issue with cooking. Whenever you cook a recipe, it defaults back to an earlier one (which weirdly seems to last forever) and often greys out some of them for no reason, loads of people reported the issue a while back but still no fix.

It made a bad first impression on me. As said before though it is a perfect game to dip into for an hour or two.

It came with my GPU so I don't know how much it being free has effectively softened my critical assessment of it. 

On 06/11/2021 at 09:34, Ran said:

It made a bad first impression on me. As said before though it is a perfect game to dip into for an hour or two.

It came with my GPU so I don't know how much it being free has effectively softened my critical assessment of it. 

The opening and closing couple of hours are by far the worst parts of the game, I'd say, having dragged myself through the fairly pitiful main story. The climactic mission in particular may well be the most lazily designed and poorly realised in the entire game even.

Finishing it left me a bit baffled about the capital city because you spend about 20 minutes there in total. I think it's supposed to be this impenetrable fortress that you work your way up to, with its restricted navigation and magic invisible air defence, but when I went to check it out earlier on I found I could just stroll around at will - its most effective deterrent is seemingly boredom.

• 4 months later...

The entire game is available on a ‘trial’ for a few days on PlayStation. Gave it a few hours and damn, what a terrible game. Just so bland/generic with shooting that feels like nothing is connecting and… those arms at the bottom of the screen for the running animation look so fucking terrible :lol:

Deleted. Not even worth my time for free.

Yes, I can’t say I’m impressed with it. It’s like if they took the difference between Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3, and then said Far Cry 3 left too much freedom and fun in, so let’s squeeze everything out!

And that’s Far Cry 6.

Yeah, I’ve enjoyed all the previous Far Cry games and played them all through to completion, but even by Ubisoft standards this is incredibly generic, bland and uninspired. Whole thing feels like they’ve phoned it in and you’ll have seen everything it has to offer within 5 or 6 hours. It’s just Far Cry by numbers at this point and I can’t be arsed to trudge my way through another 30 or 40 hours of doing the exact same thing over and over again, and I usually have a high tolerance and love for this kind of shit.

The series is in desperate need of an Assassin’s Creed Origins-style shake-up to the formula because it hasn’t moved on one iota in literally a decade.

• 2 months later...

I bought this on sale for the Xbox and had a session last night. I'm lost for words. 

This is possibly the worst game I've played all year and that's saying something as I've played a lot of trash on Game Pass. As most Ubi games gets some time to get going I'm not giving up just yet, but things doesn't look promising. 

First off, it looks horrible. It looks worse on the Series S than Farcry 5 did on the PS4 Pro. I noticed that the download size for the game was a lot bigger on the Series X, so maybe I should play it on that to see if there's any differences. 

While the FC series has always been a bit hammy, the dialogue and voice acting in this is just a new low for the franchise, jesus christ this was annoyingly bad. 

Then there's the actual gameplay. From the moment the game started I was forced through a non-combat stealth mission with set pieces so bland I was on the edge of quitting after 30 minutes. Once the stealth bit was done and the "Ubisoft Presents" cutscene was over, I was looking forward to some classic open world Farcry. 

No such luck, of course. The way forward was still a linear corridor disguised as a carribbean island with invisible walls in every direction. Once I got to the end of the path I was awarded with some bad dialogue and a mission. The mission held my hand from start to finish and was spiced up with some scripted set pieces. 

Back at camp, I was forced through the workbench tutorial and the screen flashed up where I needed to click, I had no choice but to follow what was essentially a powerpoint presentation while a voice actor who has possibly never had a single acting job in his life trying to convince me that the results of what I was doing was going to make me a killing machine.

Yeah, I reckon the +1% damage mod for my rusty FAL rifle is going to do all the difference. 

Based on my first couple of hours this has been a really rough experience. I am really hoping it gets better as I tend to enjoy these games. The main reason I bought this was that I finally completed Farcry 5 for the first time just a couple of weeks ago and I also remember having issues with the opening hours of that game. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have to disagree with the consensus here. For me, it's a decent entry in the series, and in some ways better than anything since 2 (which I haven't played, but I understand it's a differentand much better game).

What I like about the Far Cry games is the ability to explore, and it's arguably one of the best for that. Once you're past the opening, the open world exploration is great, if you like that sort of thing. There are plenty of interesting places to explore, and the island geography is fun to traverse. Best of all, there aren't animal or NPC attacks every 30 seconds or so (like in all of them, but especially 5) - it can be quite a chilled-out experience.

Also, I'm about 50% through, and so far there are no "move very slowly" drugged missions, which is a blessing.

Sure, it's yet more of the same, and I can understand people being sick of that, but that's true of the last several, and I don't remember the others getting quite so much hate.

• 4 weeks later...

There’s a trial of this this weekend (on PlayStation, probably other platforms too) so if you can get the 90GB downloaded in time then it’s free to wander about in. 

After ten minutes, I was bored already. I’ve pushed through and given it another couple of hours but that feeling hasn’t really subsided. After three previous games in the same mould, the formula just feels so fucking tired now. Sticking health bars and levels on the enemies isn’t going to change that one bit, in fact it just waters down what is still good. 

Plus points? The island looks gorgeous. To the point where I might go back just to have a walk around and enjoy it. It’s a shame there’s been such obvious hard work poured into parts of this game, only for them to be ham-strung by its garbled, overall vision. Ubisoft need to step back and have a good, long think about where to take Far Cry next. Because the series is in need of, at least, as big a reinvention as there was from Far Cry 2 to 3. 

yeah i am playing the trial too.

i can’t get over the shit FOV which is not adjustable - no excuse on ps5, there is enough horsepower

gave me nausea till i moved  the monitor further away from me

some button presses are extremely laggy, eg reload.

one good thing is you can switch off pressing a button to sprint, instead pushing the stick all the way forward sprints…. which is the point of analogue movement.!  so much better

Ubisoft would be wise to scale everything down. Create smaller worlds with more quality. They also need to smarten up their games, after years and years of dumbing down. It’s like they have been constantly adding bells and whistles to a formula dating back two generations, instead of creating games based on the current one. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/07/2022 at 15:22, abc said:

Once you're past the opening, the open world exploration is great, if you like that sort of thing. There are plenty of interesting places to explore, and the island geography is fun to traverse. Best of all, there aren't animal or NPC attacks every 30 seconds or so (like in all of them, but especially 5) - it can be quite a chilled-out experience.

Agree. I think the last one I played was 3, which I think was the one where I was constantly being attacked by honey badgers. It got on my nerves. The exploration in this feels a bit more like Just Cause 2, where you can end up exploring areas off the beaten track with not much in them. Having said that, it's still icon overload on the map.

Something really annoying has started happening. I don't know whether it's a bug or a "feature", but captured people from miles away keep getting highlighted with a little blue dot, accompanied by a beep sound. The game wasn't doing this before. I'm not sure if I've gained some annoying ability through levelling up or something but it's really getting on my nerves when exploring. I hear a beep sound, look around, nothing. Then another beep sound, and the captured idiot is highlighted with a blue dot. Then the blue dot disappears. 30 seconds later, another beep, blue dot appears again. As always, miles away over a fucking hill somewhere. It's got to be a bug, right?

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy dipping in and out of this, taking an FND base or checkpoint without raising the alarm, the odd treasure hunt or two. Popping heads with my souped up sniper rifle is quite satisfying. But on the subject of weapons, I find the resolver ones to be somewhat useless and not as fun as I think they’re supposed to be. I never use them. And I’ve basically stuck with the same supremo backpack all the way through.

• 2 weeks later...