Far Cry 6 - Island Fring

Harsin

1 hour ago, Mr.Crowley said:

Personally, I bounced off Farcry 5 hard after the first ten hours. This is consistently a lot of fun after the same amount of time played. It really feels like the true sequel to Farcry 3.

Yeah I think that's it. The differences between 3, 4, 5 and 6 are subtle but this definitely reminds me most of 3, where 4's world was kind of segmented at times and 5 was just a very very boring environment, this has that whole open world in a tropical sorta setting nailed down.

And the fire is awesome again.

10 hours ago, spanx said:

So this HD texture pack doesn’t work on a 3080 at 4K right? Has anyone tried it?

3070 and it works fine. 

The team id a great job creating a believable world, but then you have Ubisoft ruining it.

water.thumb.jpg.d6f05c003648e6014f0f1a2e11acbc98.jpg

Water dont care about physics in Ubisoft games, and that shows that no matter how talented the creators are, the corporation will ruin the end product. This just show how the Ubi formula is cut and paste.  

18 hours ago, Mr.Crowley said:

Personally, I bounced off Farcry 5 hard after the first ten hours. This is consistently a lot of fun after the same amount of time played. It really feels like the true sequel to Farcry 3.

There's even a real day-night cycle in this, with different weather conditions to boot too.

You have my attention!

On 09/10/2021 at 12:21, Thor said:

Wow, that sounds like Assassin's Creed Unity all over again. Different internal Dev team perhaps?

Same Dev studio, apparently, albeit it looks like they received less assistance from other Ubisoft teams this time around, but FC6 had three game directors, all of them different from the last game. FC5 had two guys who had worked on the last two games in the series before 5, FC6’s leads’ connections are a bit looser. One of them did some narrative work on FC5 and Far Cry Primal, one designed the opening level for Blood Dragon, and one was involved on some level with Far Cry 2 way back when.

Not too surprising the result was a bit chaotic, I guess. I can appreciate wanting some fresh blood, but keeping at least one of the old directors on board would’ve been a bit more prudent. If that’d been the case I doubt we would’ve ended up with silly shit like not being able to pick up an enemy’s gun. 

I've plugged hours into FC 4 + 5, the best moments found when you're wandering around the maps, doing your own thing.

In comparison, I'm maybe ten hours into this and it's fucking boring.

It looks gorgeous, but I feel no compulsion to explore this world.

I'm about ten hours in and have got to the point where I get choice paralysis whenever I start the game. I enjoy the game well enough, but I'm just never quite sure I'm doing the right things in the right order. Like, I've progressed this quest line to 5 stars so do I drop it and travel around doing the 3 star stuff first? That makes sense as a game but destroys the urgency of the narrative. Or I could gather the billion nearby collectibles, or go on a tank rampage, or steal a vehicle, or race a quad bike. Then I get overwhelmed with it all so just watch a pubg stream and have a cup of tea.

I didn’t like 5 at all. It was too chaotic and just too much. This feels a lot more toned down and I’m loving it because of that.

You can actually enjoy exploring the beautiful world now, without getting ganked every three seconds by a cougar that turns into a bear, or running into an x-ray visioned enemy patrol every hundred metres on-road. I even like the ‘base building’ element which reminds me a bit of the meta game part of TLoU multiplayer mode. Also, the armour system ripped from The Division works for me. Love the idea of kitting up in particular armour for the job at hand. It’s the first Far Cry since 3 that I feel compelled to play more of after the initial gloss.  In fact, the freedom to explore reminds me of the greatest of all the Far Cry games, number 2, but with tropical island visuals like the original had.

There's a HUD option to turn off the zone/area titles. Maybe it stops that happening? Hadn't really noticed it myself yet.

While I'm only a few hours in, I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying it so far. There's somehow a faintly low budget whiff about it: nothing is quite as slick as it should be, already various aspects seem bolted on in half-baked, unnecessary imitation of things like CoD Warzone, and there are weird little gaps in the basic feature set like the enemies' guns (and often their bodies too) disappearing, which I presume must be a conscious decision but it feels more like it's simply missing. I suppose this does all tally with the talk up-thread of this being mostly handled by one of their lesser studios.

The background story and setting are, of course, incredibly lazy - liberate an oppressed tropical island nation from a cartoonish celebrity villain one area at a time, you don't say! - and the way they dole some of the plot and features out is similarly so. They tell you on the back of the box that you get an alligator buddy and, sure enough, 15 minutes in, there's the little guy, arbitrarily given to you by a complete stranger the moment you meet them. Maybe this is intended as a humorous way of doing it, even satirical, but again, it just felt like a shortcut. It's also a pretty terrible gameplay mechanic so far: it seems the standard pattern is that you drive (or ride on a strangely inanimate horse) across the map to the next objective and kill everyone solo while he slowly scuttles across the couple of kilometres that you covered. Why would you not quietly teleport him reasonably close once combat kicks off? Did I get palmed off with a defective 'gator?

The basic gunplay is ok, but the enemy AI is utterly dreadful, and since you get the typical X-ray vision for enemies once they're tagged, you can enjoy them running into walls or round in circles at your leisure while crouched in cover, safe in the knowledge that even the ones that aren't yet stuck on minor environmental obstacles probably won't manage to advance on your position. And as others have said, the ammo types - indeed, most of the gun customisation - are utterly pointless and pretty amateurishly executed - more examples of mindlessly lifting features from elsewhere, I think.

That's all way more negative than I had been feeling overall, but I do think that I'll be taking advantage of the fact that this was a rental and sending it back sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

I enjoy this game, but this, this is spot on.

FB_IMG_1634025199522.jpg

Can’t you turn most of the hud off? That is essential for any Far Cry game - ie 2 & 3, the only ones I acknowledge.

The £13 I spent on a monthly sub to play this is unlikely to extend. It’s an OK game but I’m already suffering a bit with too much to do and knowing I’ll never bother playing through until the end

Will likely get a few weeks enjoyment then cancel. Might try this other Riders Republic thing later in Oct too too see if it’s up to much. 

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

Can’t you turn most of the hud off? That is essential for any Far Cry game - ie 2 & 3, the only ones I acknowledge.

I think so. It's a pretty minimal UI compared to the last couple I've played anyway.

That’s good.

After @Nathan Wind’s post I had a look on Stadia as I thought I might get this and it’s £58! And they had some version with a load of packs in for £99!! Is that how much games are now?!

I had to have a lie down.

Someone mentioned it going into 3rd person mode, when you entered bases. 

I was about to go 'eh?', because my game stayed in first person the whole time.

A few hours in and then it decided it would randomly change to a 3rd person view in a base, and I FUCKING HATE IT!

15 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Someone mentioned it going into 3rd person mode, when you entered bases. 

I was about to go 'eh?', because my game stayed in first person the whole time.

A few hours in and then it decided it would randomly change to a 3rd person view in a base, and I FUCKING HATE IT!

It's such an odd decision. I actually recorded a clip at the first base where I went into 3rd person because I thought it was a bug 😳 So strange you suddenly can't jump and have to navigate walkways instead (where the base is built in a swamp for example)

Think I'm setting it to one side for now though until the respawning bug is fixed. It's so off-putting in some places where bad guys are literally spawning as soon as I turn 180 degrees. 

14 hours ago, SteveH said:

respawning bug

Is it a bug? Have they acknowledged this anywhere as a bug? It seems to me to be the way they've designed the heat system. If you manage to keep undetected for a while it doesn't happen it's only when you get high heat then it throws everything at you, jeeps, troops, special forces, choppers, tanks. Then you die. The tanks annoy me as they seem able to fire a lot quicker then I can when I have a tank and of course they're 100% accurate.

It's just generally not very good, is it?

To give some indication of the AI, this is a sequence where I'm waiting to download something from a computer and all the alarms have gone off. Note how long it takes any enemy to find the place they're looking for, how there's zero sense of co-ordination between them, and how bad they are at noticing me when they do find the right place.

It's like we haven't moved on from Goldeneye.

2 hours ago, Minion said:

Is it a bug? Have they acknowledged this anywhere as a bug? It seems to me to be the way they've designed the heat system. If you manage to keep undetected for a while it doesn't happen it's only when you get high heat then it throws everything at you, jeeps, troops, special forces, choppers, tanks. Then you die. The tanks annoy me as they seem able to fire a lot quicker then I can when I have a tank and of course they're 100% accurate.

From what I've read on the UBI forums, yeah they have acknowledged as such and are "looking into it". But then UBI "looked into" piss poor headlights in The Crew 2 and never did a damn thing about it. 

I'm getting on with this a bit better, now that I've modded one of my rifles to fire armor-piercing rounds. 

Went exploring a bit around the top of the map, got into some scrapes and had a right laugh. 

Still need something that deals with helicopters quickly. 

The bastards. 

11 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Still need something that deals with helicopters quickly. 

I'm sure in the older games you could shoot through the cockpit glass and take out the pilots, but in this the glass seems bullet proof!

Get a decent machine gun and equip it with explosive rounds. Not instant, but it'll cut through them much quicker.

There's also an EMP blast resolver weapon a little way in, which can knock them out of the sky in one shot - although they do recover if they don't actually crash.

Edit: Oh yeah, the first Supremo weapon is an instant take down, even on multiple choppers at once.

This definitely has a number of faults but it's also a lot more enjoyable than 5 for anyone considering this at some point in the future. 5 was so po-faced, this is almost the complete opposite. I worked out how to hijack a tank, you've got to use the EMP Grenade instead of the actual backpack attack which is odd. At least I think the backpack doesn't work I tried it yesterday and promptly died, but the EMP grenade does stun them and then you jump on and there should be a prompt to hijack by pressing R3.

I loved 5 and found the setting to be (contextually) way more lifelike than the others. The map design felt very believable and organic.

For those saying it was po-faced, what about the mission where 

Spoiler

You have to grind up humping cows with a combine harvester for the chef to make cow testicle stew and then have a big party and wake up with the insinuation being that you may even have fucked a pig during your blackout.

4 hours ago, Minion said:

This definitely has a number of faults but it's also a lot more enjoyable than 5 for anyone considering this at some point in the future. 5 was so po-faced, this is almost the complete opposite. I worked out how to hijack a tank, you've got to use the EMP Grenade instead of the actual backpack attack which is odd. At least I think the backpack doesn't work I tried it yesterday and promptly died, but the EMP grenade does stun them and then you jump on and there should be a prompt to hijack by pressing R3.

it tell you on the loading screen tips to use either smoke grenade or EMP “to make it easy” (Juan tip)

8 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

it tell you on the loading screen tips to use either smoke grenade or EMP “to make it easy” (Juan tip)

Guilty as charged, not seen any tips on the loading screens as barely seen any loading, must be that fast ssd on the PS5.

21 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It's just generally not very good, is it?

To give some indication of the AI, this is a sequence where I'm waiting to download something from a computer and all the alarms have gone off. Note how long it takes any enemy to find the place they're looking for, how there's zero sense of co-ordination between them, and how bad they are at noticing me when they do find the right place.

It's like we haven't moved on from Goldeneye.

another example of the “problem of doors”