Earth Defense Force: World Brothers

deKay

• 10 months later...

Yeah, I would have been all over this at about £35 price point, but that's taking the piss. It's the same on PS4 and there's a deluxe version as well for £65.99. Fuck that. 

Shame at the price point. I love EDF but not paying that. Will wait for a sale. 

Pity they ain't coming to xbox as well. :(

Ouch at the Switch version!... way too much money for that.. FFS!

It'll be a sale buy in a couple of years, PS4 version it is!

£39.99 isn't too bad if you have PS+ (you can get £40 PS4 credit for just over £35 on CDKeys)

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP3036-CUSA27015_00-EDFWORLDBROTHER0

Basic and deluxe versions seem to have this as a preorder/early purchase bonus..

-Ranger (EDF5), Sergeant Colors & Special Gear
-Fencer (EDF5), Grim Reaper Colors & Special Gear
-Wing Diver (EDF5), Spriggan Colors & Special Gear
-Ranger (EDF4), Omega Team Colors & Special Gear
-Prowl Rider (EDF: IR), KR Prototype & Special Gear
-Infantry (EDF3), Storm 1 Colors & Special Gear
-Additional Character: Riho Futaba, Original Blue Swimsuit
-Additional Character: Riho Futaba, Classic Hostess Costume
-Additional Character: Riho Futaba, Cool Summer Outfit
-Additional Character: Riho Futaba, Merry Santa Costume

The DLC (which the £20 Season Pass contains) seems to be 9 extra character variants for £2.50 each - plus a mission pack out in a week or so..

Going by previous EDF's that'll only be £4-ish anyway.. best getting the standard edition and that..

Looks like the Switch version has the 20% discount as well - it just wasn't applied this morning. 

*sigh* Adds to basket. 

:omg:

So after using my gold coins and with the 20% discount I got this for £36 which was far more palatable. Only played the first two missions, but it's EDF, but with Lego blocks. I've only done the tutorial so far so nothing remotely chaotic, but I like how you can now change character on the fly during a mission. That'll make things interesting later. 

E2a_aqLUcAQlcAr.jpeg

E2a_apuUUAg4K0Q.jpeg

E2a_aptVIAUyb35.jpeg

I went in, and after the first 4 missions am DELIGHTED to report that it's everything I hoped it would be, but also a lot more than I thought. Team strategy elements in an EDF game? The only complaint I have so far is that Storm 1 (from EDF 2017) needs more skill to use assault rifles instead of rocket launchers, and I have no idea yet how to level him up, but I'm only using him because HE'S STORM ONE! There are any number of other Ranger class characters I could use, I just hamper myself with nostalgia. 

Even 4 levels in, I already have a variety of team setups I could use, and switching between classes on the fly is both stupid and overpowered. It's exactly the right kind of carnage, and Dio de Muertos is my new favourite special attack in any game ever.

Yeah, the levelling up system is weird. You don't collect weapons and armour from missions any more, your armour increases based on how much you use a character in a mission. 

I like that it's a light-hearted take on EDF. Hearing my Wing Diver take off and exclaim "Oh no! I forgot I'm afraid of heights!" properly made me laugh. 

Levelling up seems to come from rescuing the brothers and sisters in missions a second time. Now, I've yet to check if certain characters are locked to certain missions, but I have just managed to get Guacho Sister β and El Dorado Brother β in mission 5. I may go grind the 2nd mission with unwanted team members to see if I can work out how to get a specced-up Storm One.

It's REALLY good! Any long-time EDF fans will feel right at home, but I genuinely think it will earn some new converts as well. It's deliberately kid-friendly, and the humour may grate after a while, but so far I'm loving it.

'strong violence apparently'. I saw an American review remarking similar surprise that it's rated T there. Considering it looks like they've just made Fake-Lego EDF I can't imagine what is triggering that rating.

I impulse bought this. EDF of any variety on the switch has to be fun and it looks sillier than edf 5.

This game is beautifully dumb. First proper level and already I'm blasting ants as a mariachi with grenades and smg, or building castle walls as a Buckingham Palace guard. 

How come it actually looks way better than the main games? 

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

What would you feel is an appropriate age rating for this game, considering the older games are rated 12?

Some of them are 16

EDIT: oh, now they’re not! The 360 is a 12 now

1 hour ago, Peter said:

What would you feel is an appropriate age rating for this game, considering the older games are rated 12?

12! It's definitely more cartoony and kid-friendly than the rest of them, very much like the lego games, so I suppose even 7 wouldn't be that out of the question. 

Best thing about this game so far is no underground levels yet. 

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Iron Rain, EDF 4.1 and EDF 5 are all rated 12 (at least on the Dutch PSN store).

Yeah, they are *now*. The 360 one was definitely 16 at some point, and given all the fucks and shits in the others I’m amazed they’re not.

EDF5 would have seemed the more likely to trigger a higher rating given it added that OTT blood splatter and had enemies like the frogs and alien pilots that you could shoot the limbs off.. But while there is the blood splatter in this, I don't believe those enemies made it into this one as they replaced the Hectors, which I'm happy to see back in World Brothers..

Quick impressions.. it's easily the best non-Sandlot EDF and it mostly 'feels' right to play.. there's a nice assortment of classic enemies and troops from the entire series.. 15 levels in on Normal it still feels a little too easy.. Fencer in particular has enough HP to just lawnmower through everything and medikits are plentiful..

The various Brothers and Sisters are very much broad cultural stereotypes, which do feel like they're from a game from 20 years ago.. hopefully there's nothing to cause offensive in there..  

It runs decently on PS4 - would have probably got the Switch one if that discount had been in place previously.. But I suppose we've the two PSP/Vita EDF's making their way Switch-wards before too long.

It's visually charming, though I was hoping for more voxel-like destruction on the buildings/scenery and the music is a nice mix of new and old tunes.

The voice samples are a bit limited and play perhaps a bit too frequently, but overall it's fun and upbeat and I've no regrets in buying it.