Sega Astro City Mini

*Posted in the retro folder but may as well do so here as well.

Yeah I'd actually plump for this. As long as the price isn't ridiculous and the stick is better than the shit on the Neo Geo one. I mean if the Chinese manufacturers of cheap Pandora box joysticks can use fairly decent micro switched parts I'd hope Sega can too.

For once I'm mildly interested. Initially you suspect it's just another cash in but the promise of arcade perfect recreations? I'm keen.

If they did one of these with every Sega arcade game on it, or at least every one compatible with a joystick-and-six-buttons controller, I'd be all over it. Never mind this curated selection nonsense, stick the lot on. 

9 minutes ago, dug said:

If they did one of these with every Sega arcade game on it, or at least every one compatible with a joystick-and-six-buttons controller, I'd be all over it. Never mind this curated selection nonsense,  HACK IT and stick the lot on.

:P

22 minutes ago, dug said:

If they did one of these with every Sega arcade game on it, or at least every one compatible with a joystick-and-six-buttons controller, I'd be all over it. Never mind this curated selection nonsense, stick the lot on. 

To be fair, there are plenty of games they can't.  Daytona, Sega Rally, Super Monaco Grand Prix, Out Run just off the top of my head.

58 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

:P

Well, yeah. But why not do it officially?

Licensing issues aside...

43 minutes ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, there are plenty of games they can't.  Daytona, Sega Rally, Super Monaco Grand Prix, Out Run just off the top of my head.

20 hours ago, shirubagan said:

The name Astro City is an open goal if it turns out to be bad. All you have to do is drop the s.

Or equally add another one next to the existing one. 

13 hours ago, dug said:

Well, yeah. But why not do it officially?

Licensing issues aside...

They still have to test everything so the more games they add the more expensive it gets to develop. 

It's pretty standard for Sega enthusiasts to imagine other consumers tripping over themselves to play once-popular and not-so popular coin-op classics but I really don't see it. Even if the remaining 26 games end up being all killer no filler.

It'd be a pleasure to be proven completely and utterly wrong of course.

This is getting bought - there's a perfect spot on my 'work' desk next to all the other mini consoles I've acquired. Do we think it will be a JPN only release or will it come to the west?

3 hours ago, parkinho said:

This is getting bought - there's a perfect spot on my 'work' desk next to all the other mini consoles I've acquired. Do we think it will be a JPN only release or will it come to the west?

dunno, but I’ve preordered the Japanese one (and a game gear micro) just in case they don’t. 

A fool and their money. 

18 hours ago, Dudley said:

They've enough great driving games to do one of these with a steering wheel.. If only!

I've got a bad feeling something like Alex Kidd will get dumped in here, in fact the cynic in me suspects for every gem to be announced, there will be two absolute stinkers.

1 hour ago, marsh said:

Got to get a western release.

'Awize from your gwave'

I guess it's too much to hope for a shinobi port?

Shinobi is almost a dead cert I reckon.

There's only one arcade Alex Kidd game : Alex Kidd in Swinging Bollocks World (timestamped) :lol:

I've watched far more of that than I needed too. He appears to be running down an intestinal tract, avoiding getting his hair wet, and avoiding swinging gonads. Skip to 16:31 and he avoids getting.......farted on.

I recently finished Golden Axe arcade for the first time on one of those Pandora 3D joystick things. Was great fun. No sign of Revenge of Death Adder on the thing though, think I can add games mind. I'm on a total old arcade games kick atm, have actually just started Alien Storm the other night. Sega were on fire in the arcade back then. So much quality.

That video above is fantastic, I love the whole Japanese voice over shouting enthusiastically while games flash by thing. Think it comes from that Nintendo 64 Space World video N64 magazine gave out back in the day. Fantastic stuff.

Any news on a U.K release?