rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gambit

Do you have a Creative Area?

This year I moved into a new house which needed quite a bit of work doing to it (hooray for Lockdown decorating!) and one thing I'm eager to get set up in the spare bedroom is a little creative nook for myself and the fiance. Basically I want to get back into writing, not just reviews and stuff which is what I used to do, but novel writing. It's something I did when I was younger, but fell out of when I was bouncing between rented rooms. Do any of you creative types (whether it's writing, drawing or whatever) have a nice little space to work in? Post pics please so I can get some ideas and steal them! :lol:

Depressingly my creative area is strewn around 3 rooms of the house, much to the chagrin of my OH. The PC is in the front room, then I have drawers/paper/implements to draw with/markers in the diningroom/kitchen and then a shitload of other practical stuff in the top loft room, and all my mini stuff in the second smaller bedroom. I'd post photos but it makes me look like a right scruffy bugger.

Yeah, I do.  Our living/dining room is L-shaped. The main living room is in one leg of the L, and the dining room is the other leg, but it's never used as a dining room.  At the end of the dining room, directly in front of a set of patio doors that are (because of me and my creative area) never used as patio doors, is my painting table.  I have all my paints there, the miniatures I'm painting and all my hobby stuff is around it.  We recently had to battle an invasion of clothes moths (which wierdly flew out of a plastic box containing a Warhammer tank) so we had to move every bit of furniture to spray under it.  We took this opportunity to rething all the storage and organisation of my painting area, so now I have a big tower of drawers on wheels with all my tools and basing equipment it, and all the miniatures, split into the various armies and game systems are in plastic boxes stacked relatively neatly. 

Before this, tools were cluttered into a container in a completely disorganised manner, paints were encroaching onto the table in such a way that left me hardly any room to actually paint, the armies were in mis-matched storage boxes stacked up in such a way that it was getting difficult to even get to the table, and my airbrush compresser was burried under a load of sheets of bubblewrap for some reason.  Things had just got out of hand, and it had got to the stage where my frequent attempts to tidy it weren't really helping.  I just had too much hobby stuff and it needed a complete rethink.  

It's so much better now, and has revitalised my desire to actually sit down and paint.  :)

I will post a pic later, I just have to pop out for an errand, and I want to give it a quick tidy of my most recently created messes before displaying it to be judged by the rllmuks.

This is the space in converting. It's currently a dumping ground while we sort the rest of the house out. Currently it's just a basic desk that we inherited, eventually that will change once more space is sorted. Gives me a nice view out into the back garden and people's windows. :lol: Hoping to get a desk with drawers and shelving units on the top of it.

IMG_20200710_075017.jpg

I only do stills photography so my post processing work is fairly low-effort - my creativity occurs in the field, so that part could be literally anywhere. I process images wherever I can get a chance with the laptop, usually at the kitchen table or sofa but in the past it has been in the car (passenger, obviously) or buses (still passenger), the pub, various hotel rooms or just sat on the floor somewhere.