rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
amc

Instant Noodles.

Stuck in due to a slight exercise injury so my mum is picking me up some shopping to drop off. Been eating a lot of noodles with a tin of tuna for lunch so told my mother to pick me some up for the week.

She asked "like Super Noodles?" To which I replied "not on your Nelly" can't stand them. So I took a picture of the brands I like and said any flavour but try for these brands, although not fussed on the Maggi. Dunno why I included the egg noodles, told her they're not needed.

So what's the king of noodle brands and flavours, always looking for recommendations for my favourite snack food.

20200704_114636.jpg

Nissin Demae Ramen are the king, though those Shin Ramyun are awesome too. We have a store in Bedford thats run by a Chinese family that has absolutely loads of instant noodles, can't wait to (safely) go back there! (though in grabbing that link I've just discovered they do delivery, provided you spend £50)

I kind of prefer the spicy Korean ones so Shin Ramyun and Samyang Hot Chicken for me. Mikey Chen one of my favourite food vloggers did a great video recently reviewing some fancy Ramen packs.

• Upvote 2

Are the Asian instant noodles actually any better or just the same rubbish in cool looking packaging ?

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Are the Asian instant noodles actually any better or just the same rubbish in cool looking packaging ?

Some of them are very good.

https://www.primataste.com/our-products/lamian

This brand is amazing. Honestly you could put this in a bowl with a few accoutrements in a restaurant in London and charge £15 for it.

The problem with instant noodles is that they have a crazy amount of salt in them and the noodles are deep fried so have loads of fat in them too. Although they are delicious.

• Upvote 1

But salt and fat are not bad for you!

As long as you eat a balanced diet you should not worry about that stuff (or if you have high blood pressure).

• Upvote 1

I am obsessed with Koka Tom Yam noodles! The corner shop I used to live near did 3 packs for a pound. I need to find a new supplier.

21 hours ago, Gotters said:

Based on my limited exposure to the Paldo and Samyang brands the noodles tend to be more substantial and they come with sachets of sauce instead of the packets of crushed stock cubes you get with cheaper stuff. The prices for Samyang seems to have gone a bit silly on Amazon since Covid but the Paldo Jangmen and Volcano Chicken are still reasonably priced. The Volcano Chicken is nice as despite the name it's not just heat, it's got a decent curry flavour as well. 

2 hours ago, Horribleman said:

As long as you eat a balanced diet you should not worry about that stuff (or if you have high blood pressure).

Some of them have legitimately worrisome amounts of salt though. I used to buy the McDonnells cup noodles but stopped when I saw it had about 80% of your recommended daily salt intake in one not very large serving. 

I absolutely love the Shin Ramen ones. Asda sell them in a pot noodle size container and a larger size one too, as seen below (large orange is there for scale). 

I'd eat these every day if they were better for me. I'm considering having the one I've got left for my dinner today, since I'm watching the football and having a beer, so can't be arsed to cook a proper dinner. 

IMG_20200705_155018.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, multi said:

I absolutely love the Shin Ramen ones. Asda sell them in a pot noodle size container and a larger size one too, as seen below (large orange is there for scale). 

I'd eat these every day if they were better for me. I'm considering having the one I've got left for my dinner today, since I'm watching the football and having a beer, so can't be arsed to cook a proper dinner. 

IMG_20200705_155018.jpg

The larger ones have lower quality noodles. And the non-cup plastic packets have better noodles. At least that’s how it seems to me. It could well be my imagination.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Horribleman said:

But considering how unfilling instant noodles are they have a very high proportion of salt and fat. I need to eat two packets of Nissin demae to feel full. There's approx 5g of salt in one packet. 

Put it this way, a packet of crisps usually has around 0.3-0.5g of salt.

I think it's wise to consider your salt intake regardless of whether or not you have high blood pressure.