Ubisoft Forward - conference video in first post

2 minutes ago, Quest said:

Easy to boycott Ubisoft if they don't make any games people actually want to play. For all the talk of shaking things up, this all looks like the same old shite.

Legion still looks interesting. Hocking gets a really big budget?

10 minutes ago, footle said:

Legion still looks interesting. Hocking gets a really big budget?

I can't get excited about it, for some reason. For all the character swapping and that, I just don't see any depth to it.

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Gaming has gotten stale.

Nah, gaming is fine. Just some these megacorp publishers are in dire need of a course correction, but have the turning circle of an aircraft carrier.

(I bet some smartarse will tell me aircraft carriers turn really quickly or something)

• Upvote 3
13 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Ubisoft’s gaming has gotten stale.

I agree. Everyone of the big AAA games they produce feels exactly the same. It is just the same thing in a slightly different setting.

• Empathy 1
5 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

I agree. Everyone of the big AAA games they produce feels exactly the same. It is just the same thing in a slightly different setting.

It is pretty sad to watch. Games with supposedly deep themes which are empty shells. Stories to transport you to other lands which offer nothing of real substance. Just the same kind of things repeated over and over again.

• Empathy 1

Honestly, I loved Odyssey. I think it's the best game Ubisoft had done in years. Unfortunately, Valhalla looks absolutely terrible in comparison. It doesn't look half as good, the voice acting stinks to high heaven and it feels like it's taking itself far too seriously (which is something that Odyssey had the good grace to never do). 

Watch Dogs looks like a game that's been in development for too long and feels really long in the tooth.

I'm going to assume that Far Cry 6 is going to play exactly the same as all the others, but the intro scene looked nice I guess.

• Upvote 1

The whole rinse repeat of their games and how very similar they are all is becoming a problem. Releasing 2 games in the same window is a bit daft imo. They all seem like reskins half the time and changing a setting isn't really making me want to invest. Couldn't be arsed with another far cry.

As mentioned Kaasandra was such a great lead and the writing was superb, am still enjoying playing Odyssey. Valhalla looks proper poor and wonder if Legions novelty will wear off quick, although that looked the best of the bunch.

It feels like the new console generation is coming along a little too early for Ubisoft really.

All the top guys there were clearly far too busy harassing their staff to notice the dev kits arriving :( 

Valhalla looks ok. I think they’re just doing a poor job of showing it off. The location also can’t quite rival Ancient Greece or Egypt, so feels like a bit of a misstep.

The most interesting thing about it so far is that it’s out Nov 17th, which might mean we get next gen consoles then, too.

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

Valhalla looks proper poor

I'm holding out hope.  I enjoyed Origins and thought Odyssey was going to be more of the same in a less interesting setting. I was done with their ship combat too.  Instead it was ace and one of my favourite games of the last few years.  

41 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I'm holding out hope.  I enjoyed Origins and thought Odyssey was going to be more did the same in a less interesting setting. I was done with their ship combat too.  Instead it was ace and one of my favourite games of the last few years.  

there’s a lot of revisionism with odyssey: I thought exactly the same as you on the first reveal. As did everyone else.

I'm still really interested in Watch Dogs Legion. Partly for the virtual sightseeing but I just really dig the idea of trying to complete missions in a variety of different ways with different people especially the potential for Hitman-esque 'walk through the front door' infiltration. 

It does look a bit rough around the edges but nearly every game does after we've just played TLOU2 to be honest. I think it's more ambitious than some here are giving it credit for.

This sounds a bit worrying.

Speaking to GameSpot just before Ubisoft Forward, narrative director Darby McDevitt explained that “world events” are included in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, but the traditional side quest is “almost nonexistent.” There are longer story arcs to complete as part of the main questline, but extra activities you complete will happen more spontaneously and won’t necessarily be quests you have to seek out.

Spider-Man rescuing balloons anyone?

10 hours ago, macosx said:

Ubisoft Forward felt like Ubisoft Treading Water

They've been treading water since the mid point of the generation haven't they?  They started off strong with all those UbiArt games but ever since 2016 ish they've just been stagnant. The last interesting game they put out was Mario X Rabbids.

The newest Assassin's Creed games are good but they already felt like a different franchise and now they're showing a trailer where the focus is on everyone assassinating everyone at the same time while you assassinate every limb from the body before assassinating their head from their body in front of their family and friends before assassinating the friends and then assassinating their house with a flame arrow.

IO are independent, just get them to make a historical Hitman.

Hopefully with the big clearout of assholes we'll see a shift away from the murder simulators to something fresh.

11 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I’m really not sure of the business sense in One publisher dropping 3 big open world games in the space of 4 months.

They did it with watchdogs 2 as well.

Do you think it’s just that they appeal to different audiences?

Or that Black Flag did the numbers for them by being the only substantial single player cross platform launch title last time round?

Never played a Watch Dogs game but was intrigued by the idea of finally getting a 1:1 version of London to mess about it in. A city that I actually know intimately up there on the screen, albeit a futuristic version of it. 

Watched some of the footage and immediately it all just looks  so dry and boring. Then I saw that fateful tutorial tooltip 'press O for silent takedown' :rolleyes: 

I'm just not sure I have the energy to play any more huge sprawling open world game anymore with the same shoot/stealth/drive mechanics just because oooooh, ray-tracing. 

Next gen is not enticing at all yet. 

• Upvote 1