Songs that haven't aged well at all

Sorry, this is such a cheap shot. But today there was a take down of Skater Boi and it resonates pretty hard. Basically, a groupie is laughing at a precious partner of her temporarily famous boyfriend.

Got me thinking, what lyrics or songs really haven't stood the test of time?

Thinking of that one where the guy who looks like the vanilla avatar in every game ever showed off about possibly raping women. 

Blurred Lines is a big one, which is maybe the one you're thinking of. Although even shortly after the time of release I'd seen it described as Robin Thicke's rape anthem. It's truly obnoxious, but I think it was all drowned out by the fuss that it just sounds like a Marvin Gaye rip-off. It sank Thicke but Pharrell seemed to get off scott free.

43 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Blurred Lines is a big one, which is maybe the one you're thinking of. Although even shortly after the time of release I'd seen it described as Robin Thicke's rape anthem. It's truly obnoxious, but I think it was all drowned out by the fuss that it just sounds like a Marvin Gaye rip-off. It sank Thicke but Pharrell seemed to get off scott free.

Yep thats the one. 

Songs that have or haven't stood the test of time...?

Shouldn't this thread be titled either "Songs that have aged badly", or "Songs that haven't aged well"?

If this thread is for listing songs with lyrics that are no longer considered politically correct then we'd be here forever!

But the first thing that came to mind was one that @Doctor Shark recently mentioned in the guitar thread. The Rolling Stones' Brown Sugar is possibly my favourite tune by the band, but put the lyrics together and yikes:

On 25/06/2020 at 11:21, Doctor Shark said:

Started to look at some Rolling Stones songs I could learn. I don't know the names or lyrics to many of them, but I know their riffs. There's one I really like. Had to find out what it was. "Brown Sugar"...what are the lyrics, I wonder...oh....oh.....oh...oh no. Maybe not that one, after all. 

OK, let's excuse that song's lyrics because Jagger is singing from the perspective of a fictional/historical character (much like in Midnight Rambler). But something like Stray Cat Blues is much more uncomfortably close to the world and culture the band was in at the time (particularly the live version on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out where the girl's age is lowered from 15 to 13). But hey, it's OK because "it's no hanging matter, it's no capital crime..."

The Rolling Stones song that really hasn't aged well is Paint It Black - it's basically Mick drooling over scantily clad underage girls. Not easy to listen to these days.

Oh, and anything by Morrissey obviously, but that's purely because he's an obnoxious racist dick.

• Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The Rolling Stones song that really hasn't aged well is Paint It Black - it's basically Mick drooling over scantily clad underage girls. Not easy to listen to these days.

Not sure I agree with you on this.  The song in my understanding anyway was always about the unexpected death of a spouse/lover. 

On top of this it's a cracking song and easily my favourite by the Stones.

• Upvote 2
On 02/07/2020 at 16:10, kerraig UK said:

Sorry, this is such a cheap shot. But today there was a take down of Skater Boi and it resonates pretty hard. Basically, a groupie is laughing at a precious partner of her temporarily famous boyfriend.

Got me thinking, what lyrics or songs really haven't stood the test of time?

Thinking of that one where the guy who looks like the vanilla avatar in every game ever showed off about possibly raping women. 

I'm confussed, because I don't think the song is about that at all, at no point is that refelcted in the lyrics. The song is about how someone wanted to be with the Skater Boy but refused to because of stupid highschool social standings. She wanted to be with the skater boy but wouldn't be because she's popular and he isn't and they're from two different worlds. But now the tables are reversed and she could have been with the rich and famous boy but she blew him off and now she's just an ordinary person and he's popular. The girl singing the song is saying, look at what you missed out on, he's mine now becuase you didn't see past stupid highschool stuff. It's a song about not judging a book by its cover.

Anyway, songs that haven't aged well. I'd like to nominated Dire Straits - Money For Nothing. Absolutely banging opening and beat, but these lyrics....fucking hell

See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he's a millionaire

• Upvote 4

But that's written from the point of view of a sneering critic of musicians though surely? Unless I've misunderstood the song completely. 

• Upvote 2
56 minutes ago, Camel said:

But that's written from the point of view of a sneering critic of musicians though surely? Unless I've misunderstood the song completely. 

By two guys working in an electrical store no less. 

The list is long and it’s only going to get longer as time goes on.

I’ve had to willfully overlook some Led Zep lyrics for most of my adult life, having loved the music since I was a teenager. I recently listened to the Police after countless years, Every Breath You Take - not creepy at all mate... Don’t Stand so Close to Me, teacher shagging his student... hmmm.

Basically any anti-racism hands across the world song from the 70s and 80s would invariably do a quick shopping list of the skin tones they’re not prejudiced against. I think Robert Palmer’s steel drum flecked eternal banger Every Kinda People does this for instance, and he’s beyond reproach. Difficult ones as their hearts are in the right place, but you can’t go around calling people yellow, Bob.

8 hours ago, Camel said:

Is it? Tbh I never really understood what the song was about, but that verse just stood out.

A lot 90s/early 2000 rap seems awful now too. Stuff that just washed over me in my teens, I'm now embarrassed to hear these day due to very misogynistic and rapey lyrics.

The chorus of Miko Mission's Italo Disco hit, 'How Old Are You?':

Now, how old are you?
Where is your harbour?
Have many things to do,
Open the door

:ph34r:

English was his second language so maybe something went wrong in translation, but that sounds well iffy mate.

5 hours ago, Stigweard said:

A lot 90s/early 2000 rap seems awful now too. Stuff that just washed over me in my teens, I'm now embarrassed to hear these day due to very misogynistic and rapey lyrics.

A lot of West Coast gangster rap is pretty horrible to listen to these days, but then even when I was 15, NWA’s second album disgusted me with its misogynistic lyrics.

As for Motorhead, going beyond the tenor of critiquing specific songs, I’m shocked that people still turn a blind eye to the fact the band used explicitly Nazi imagery on several album covers. And Lemmy’s latter-day Holocaust denial always gets airbrushed out of posthumous accounts of the man.

On 04/07/2020 at 10:17, Stigweard said:

Is it? Tbh I never really understood what the song was about, but that verse just stood out.

Lyrics were inspired/copied by guys working in an electronics store Knopfler visited, stuff about it in the wikipedia article 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_(song)

23 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

As for Motorhead, going beyond the tenor of critiquing specific songs, I’m shocked that people still turn a blind eye to the fact the band used explicitly Nazi imagery on several album covers. And Lemmy’s latter-day Holocaust denial always gets airbrushed out of posthumous accounts of the man.

wait, what?!

On 02/07/2020 at 18:15, Nick R said:

Shouldn't this thread be titled either "Songs that have aged badly", or "Songs that haven't aged well"?

If this thread is for listing songs with lyrics that are no longer considered politically correct then we'd be here forever!

But the first thing that came to mind was one that @Doctor Shark recently mentioned in the guitar thread. The Rolling Stones' Brown Sugar is possibly my favourite tune by the band, but put the lyrics together and yikes:

OK, let's excuse that song's lyrics because Jagger is singing from the perspective of a fictional/historical character (much like in Midnight Rambler). But something like Stray Cat Blues is much more uncomfortably close to the world and culture the band was in at the time (particularly the live version on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out where the girl's age is lowered from 15 to 13). But hey, it's OK because "it's no hanging matter, it's no capital crime..."

Yes, not sure how that happened! thx

On 04/07/2020 at 01:29, Stigweard said:

I'm confussed, because I don't think the song is about that at all, at no point is that refelcted in the lyrics. The song is about how someone wanted to be with the Skater Boy but refused to because of stupid highschool social standings. She wanted to be with the skater boy but wouldn't be because she's popular and he isn't and they're from two different worlds. But now the tables are reversed and she could have been with the rich and famous boy but she blew him off and now she's just an ordinary person and he's popular. The girl singing the song is saying, look at what you missed out on, he's mine now becuase you didn't see past stupid highschool stuff. It's a song about not judging a book by its cover.

Anyway, songs that haven't aged well. I'd like to nominated Dire Straits - Money For Nothing. Absolutely banging opening and beat, but these lyrics....fucking hell

Interestingly, this just popped up:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-girl-from-avril-lavignes-sk8er-boi-responds-18-years-later

• Upvote 1