Died, aged 98.  Gave the world many funny things, not least Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and The Man with Two Brains.  Father to Rob.

All round nice guy and very, very funny man.

The Man With Two Brains is fantastic, and probably my favourite Steve Martin film. Carl Reiner's direction is brilliantly understated - nothing showy but he really allows the actors' performances to take centre stage so you end up with loads of great lines with perfect delivery.

"Sounds like a subdural haematoma to me."

"Into the mud, scum queen!"

"What is that?

"It's pronounced 'azeleas'."

That's a really nice story.

And obligatory 'The Man With Two Brains' is great (which I incidentally watched in January coming home on a flight, of all places).

"Where's my hat?" :lol:

I've never seen Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid though. I did have it once on DVD (back when I would buy loads in 3 for £10/£15 deals at HMV) but never got around to watching it. I take it I should?

Yes, you really should.  It is a very clever piece of film making, plus some really top notch gags.   I think TMWTB is much more packed with jokes, but as a fan of 40s film noir, I think Dead Men is a made as a lovely homage to the genre, plus some top jokes and a smoking hot Rachel Ward.