rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Vimster

Trackmania (out 01/07/2020 on UPlay) - "It's not a subscription game, honest!"

This was totally out of the blue, a new Trackmania.

Ubisoft Nadeo returns with the biggest and most compelling remake of the legendary Trackmania Nations.
In Trackmania you will discover a brand new virtual formula, a sports-oriented stadium, new creation blocks and extra game features.

What's worrying is they seem to be charging per year for access to the game:

Standard Access - £8.59 for 1 year

LET FREE YOUR CREATIVITY - Create tracks and have it tested on dedicated servers.

LIVE EVENTS - Play community-made campaigns live in the Arcade Channel and the club rooms
Compete in casual tournaments or in international, top level leagues.

A CURATED CONTENT AVAILABLE SOLO OR ONLINE - The best of player's made tracks in the daily Track of the Day selection

Club Access - £25.99 for 1 year or £49.99 for 3 years

Access all Trackmania features

ACCESS TO CUSTOMIZATION -Create skins and customize your game.

INTERACT WITH OTHERS - Join any club you like, find friends with similar interests to play with, and enjoy exclusive content.

CREATE YOUR OWN CLUB, CONTENT AND ACTIVITIES - Share your replays, ghosts, campaigns, competitions, skins. You can offer your club a never-ending entertainment.

Really hoping this isn't a trend going forward, it's effectively renting a game, albeit at a very low price. The Standard version seems the best for me as I'm not interested in getting involved in clubs. I assume this is aimed at esports or whatever. As long as I can download tracks and do the time trials online then that's fine.

There is also a Starter access option that's currently unavailable, presumably this will be the free-to-play version:

IMPROVE YOUR RACING SKILLS - In this new episode, players can constantly improve their skills thanks to brand new features like: a training track, velocity at each checkpoint and ghosts to help players progress run after run.

THE MORE THE MERRIER - You’ll never race against a computer: even solo, race against other players’ ghosts that are close to your level to see how to improve progressively, at your own pace.

REGULARY UPDATED CONTENT - 25 official tracks, updated e very 3 months and playable solo, online and locally to practice your racing skills.

A NEW TYPE OF ESPORT - Trackmania makes esports accessible to everyone, with in-game daily competitions to international open leagues.

Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstamann is well known as a big Trackmania fan:

Really low system recommendations for this too, so will run on the proverbial potato. Nice to see them going for playability over flash, although I think some people may find the fact the game seems to have stuck very closely to the classic TM style a bit of a turn-off.

Anyway, I pre-ordered it (used some of my Ubi Space Coins to get a nice discount, £6.78), so will definitely be giving this a go.

Couldn't find a topic for this, but I apologise if it's already there. You know search.

• Upvote 1

They announced it a few weeks ago, along with the vehement denial it was a subscription model dspite it being EXACTLY WHAT THAT FUCKING IS.

To be perfectly frank, they can go and fuck themselves.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

They announced it a few weeks ago, along with the vehement denial it was a subscription model dspite it being EXACTLY WHAT THAT FUCKING IS.

To be perfectly frank, they can go and fuck themselves.

You can certainly detect the tentacles of Ubisoft Corporate/PR running through that decision. A real shame because I am bang-up for some new TM.

• Upvote 1

Subscription service for a game WTF - No thanks Ubisoft!

I was watching Jeff from GB play it last night. He seemed to be enjoying it ok but it looked very "sterile" for want of a better word. And I know for a fact Jeff prefers his Trackmania more like this

That's the Trackmania I know and love, with all the pointless crap around the outside of the screen, that psychedelic screen effects, hundreds of cars on the track at once. Like Jeff I'm hoping this all comes back. 

Yeah, in Trackmania's defense the base version of the old games was just as sterile as this new one looks - you need the community to make the maps, dedicated servers, and all the random music stuff.

Hopefully there's sufficient customization options for that to happen here.

20 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yeah, in Trackmania's defense the base version of the old games was just as sterile as this new one looks - you need the community to make the maps, dedicated servers, and all the random music stuff.

Hopefully there's sufficient customization options for that to happen here.

Jeff was saying there was a heavy embargo on the game, which doesn't bode well. Hopefully they'll not have the crap situation where you had to buy Valley, Desert, etc and just have it all in one game, albeit a game you don't actually own. Hopefully that would also mean any new environments would be more widely played online. Stadium was the standard one, you'd very rarely if ever be able to play any of the others. 

Also keen to know if the likes of TM United Forever and TM2 are still being played heavily. I couldn't log in to ManiaPlanet a while back for some reason. Wouldn't put it past Ubisoft to shut all that down to serve the new game.

Anyone got the minimum specs for this? If my wee ultrabook could run it (even on low settings) I'm in. Love me some Trackmania Stadium.

5 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Anyone got the minimum specs for this? If my wee ultrabook could run it (even on low settings) I'm in. Love me some Trackmania Stadium.

It's really low, like the recommended graphics card is a Geforce 970. 

In case anyone is interested here's a detail breakdown of the different access levels

TRACKMANIA_OFFERS_DETAILS-scaled.jpg

Unlocks at 4:30pm UK time. Seems to be no preload. Even for the paid versions

15 minutes ago, Flub said:

In case anyone is interested here's a detail breakdown of the different access levels

TRACKMANIA_OFFERS_DETAILS-scaled.jpg

Unlocks at 4:30pm UK time. Seems to be no preload. Even for the paid versions

Was going to start that going over lunch but oh well. 

Yeah. The messaging isn't great is it :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Flub said:

Yeah. The messaging isn't great is it :)

My favourite bit is having "Ad Displayed" on all three versions like it's a feature.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Lying Cat said:

My favourite bit is having "Ad Displayed" on all three versions like it's a feature.

And then followed by two of the editions removing the ads.

• Upvote 1

So far so TM. Not 100% keen on some of these new blocks like no-steering and fragile. Just imagining some multiplayer track where some arsehole puts tons of those in for the lols, those and lots of slo-mo blocks just to make it even less playable. However, the ice bits are great, all about the counter-steer.

Probably going to just try and rinse the tutorial tracks and get gold on all, by which time hopefully the online will be populated fully.

That list though, peak Ubi.

Played through all 25 training levels (on the free Starter edition)  Enjoyed it a lot.  It's (mostly) classic TM.

But on re-entering the game, all my medals and best times were erased.  Is that a "feature" of the free version?

20 minutes ago, Vimster said:

So far so TM. Not 100% keen on some of these new blocks like no-steering and fragile. Just imagining some multiplayer track where some arsehole puts tons of those in for the lols, those and lots of slo-mo blocks just to make it even less playable. However, the ice bits are great, all about the counter-steer.

I just played a track like that. Noped the fuck right out. I also despise the ice but find it strangely appealing at the same time.

They should probably have had an open beta for a while. There's a distinct lack of tracks and almost all the servers are just running this month's 25. Is there no way to just browse creations?

7 minutes ago, Valver said:

Played through all 25 training levels (on the free Starter edition)  Enjoyed it a lot.  It's (mostly) classic TM.

But on re-entering the game, all my medals and best times were erased.  Is that a "feature" of the free version?

Someone mentioned something about a "demo profile" bug and suggested restarting uplay completely

Yeah I had that, couldn't edit my car's skin or anything. Seems to be working now. Yes, I can recreate my old purple car with flames on.

I'm still stuck with a demo profile.

Remember them making a fuss of this being free on the epic store?

Well of course it is, it's the same demo as everywhere else.

I’m playing this - the classic Nations formula has dragged me back in once again. Still on the free version at the moment, but I’m sure I will end up going for one of the paid versions at some stage.

If you’ve never played a TM game before and love any sort of time-trial racing, you should really give it a go.

I have my pc setup as a fake console at the moment, with no sign in and booting straight into Steam Big Picture.

I have 2 questions.

Can the game be played just with a gamepad? Menus and all that. (I dont care of the creative stuff)

Is it lauchable from steam with the classic "Add a non-steam game" option?

Definitely playable just with a pad, not sure on the 2nd question.

The basic racing in this is as good as ever/better than ever but everything else is a mess. Funnily enough, very much like Trials Rising. The fact that the free version doesn't have access to rankings is crazy. The nadeo live tracks that come with the free version are also worryingly shit. They either wanted to make them purposefully shit in the hope that people would pay to not have to play them or they asked the work experience student to put 25 together, but the work experience student had never played a racing game before, let alone trackmania.

I might buy a basic sub. but honestly, I'm more inclined to just move on. A problem with the sub. model is that it only really works if the community is there and that is not guaranteed. I don't see a big enough reason for the current competitive community to move on to the new game right now.

• Upvote 1

The thing that has always slightly irked me about Trackmania is the ridiculous cuts some people find in the maps. Yes, in most cases it still takes skill to actually pull off the cuts themselves, but you'd really have no idea about them unless you either research online or race against WR ghosts.

This video for example... gah:

It just feels a bit cheap. I'm not even annoyed at the players, really - map makers should try to minimise it where possible with checkpoints etc. I'm generally even less annoyed about it where it's community-made custom maps, but this is happening in official maps in the Summer 2020 playlist.

20 minutes ago, Sureshot said:

The thing that has always slightly irked me about Trackmania is the ridiculous cuts some people find in the maps. Yes, in most cases it still takes skill to actually pull off the cuts themselves, but you'd really have no idea about them unless you either research online or race against WR ghosts.

This video for example... gah:

It just feels a bit cheap. I'm not even annoyed at the players, really - map makers should try to minimise it where possible with checkpoints etc. I'm generally even less annoyed about it where it's community-made custom maps, but this is happening in official maps in the Summer 2020 playlist.

The simple thing that they should do to avoid this is order the checkpoints. Thanks for posting this because I saw that some people had stupid fast times and I couldn't work out how. I'd worked out the start and end but not the reverse checkpoints middle.