rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lovelyman

The Alcohol Free drinks thread

I think we need one of these. 

Currently, I really like Brewdog AF for a beer. It's better than nanny state and not full of sugar.

For a change, I quite often just fizz up some water in a Soda Stream and maybe add something like a dash of Seedlip for some savoury notes.

I haven't bothered trying to make cocktails as in my mind they are either really sugary or don't really scratch that 'punch' itch that the high ABV in an alcoholic cocktail does.

What are your favourites?

Seedlip, the one that tastes like peas, with lemon juice, simple syrup and a little dash of everleaf makes a nice cocktail.

I've also got some fake "rum" from Holland & Barrett which I mix with orgeat, orange syrup and a little dash of overproof rum to make a low alcohol maitai which is absolutely fantastic.

Haymans do something called "small gin" which is distilled with tons more botanicals so it's 40% but you only need 5ml in a G&T. I did a blind tasting and while I picked out the "low alcohol" one, that was mostly just based on body. The person I was with picked the other one.

For low alcohol beers, I think the Mikeller stuff is leagues ahead of most of what's on the shelf in most super markets, I'd take a "Drink'in the sun" ahead of plenty of Pale ales.. Punk AF is just too bitter and not that pleasant, they were doing "bottomless pints" of it a few months ago and I only managed 3 before I had to give in.

I quite like Brooklyn Special Effect, Pistonhead's Flat Tire and the german stuff like Erdinger is nice. 

Otherwise if I'm "not drinking" at home I brew Tepache or Kombucha for a "grown up" soft drink.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Accept no substitutes.

58550123.jpg

Problem being that the addition of rum to Ting is pretty much impossible to resist, ruining it's place in an 'alcohol free' thread.

Yeah except Ting is fucking shit now because they took the sugar out and replaced it with Stevia.

• Upvote 1

Big Drop are probably my current fave alcohol free beers. Love the sour and stout.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Laine said:

Big Drop are probably my current fave alcohol free beers. Love the sour and stout.

Ooh! Didn't realise they did them. Are you getting them online or crib a local place?

On 03/07/2020 at 00:01, Horribleman said:

Ooh! Didn't realise they did them. Are you getting them online or crib a local place?

I’ve seen them in big Tesco’s and Sainsbury’s but you can get full range on line. 

Not alcohol free but around 2% I really like Schofferhofer. Half wheat beer, half pink grapefruit juice! 

• Upvote 1

On 01/07/2020 at 23:50, Gaz said:

Yeah except Ting is fucking shit now because they took the sugar out and replaced it with Stevia.

Really?!

Yeah, me too :(It's been bad for at least a year though, so if you have had it recently and liked it you don't need to worry.

I can't drink pop these days. It all tastes disgusting to me. The only stuff I can just about get away with is Fiery Ginger Ale. I think it's the artificial sweeteners, but all varieties of coke taste like garbage juice.

I wish someone would make a good cordial that you mix with water instead of selling 75cl of water with herbs in for £24.

7 hours ago, Horribleman said:

I can't drink pop these days. It all tastes disgusting to me. The only stuff I can just about get away with is Fiery Ginger Ale. I think it's the artificial sweeteners, but all varieties of coke taste like garbage juice.

I wish someone would make a good cordial that you mix with water instead of selling 75cl of water with herbs in for £24.

Rocks organic is quite nice. I like the lemon one.

13 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Cordials are quite easy to make. I'm really enjoying this one mixed with soda water at the moment, but I've also been making fruit cordials just by blending up pineapple or mango or whatever and straining it through a nut bag, then adding sugar and citric acid.

Capture.JPG

• Upvote 1