31 Day Music Challenge

Day 22 - Music that gets you pumped

I'm not sure I actually get pumped! :lol:

If I do, I suspect it'll probably be something on the rock side of metal with a fairly fast tempo, or more specifically, a varying tempo.  That build up from the chorus, the bridge, and into a banging chorus. (I don't use the word 'banging' either, but there we go).

I'm thinking Metallica, i'm thinking Lacuna Coil, I'm posting In this moment.

Day 22 - Music that gets you pumped

Machine Head - Davidian

First track from their first album, what a way to start with those drums (by which I mean the part that start at ~45s).  I've seen this band live more times than any other, they were the first gig I went to in '97 when they were touring their second album and the last gig I went to towards the end of last year for the 25th anniversary of the first.  I haven't been a fan of everything they've produced through the years but those first two albums are still some of my favourites.

And now a ridiculously 90s music video.

Or rehearsals for the 25th anniversary tour, which brought the original members of the band back together.

Day 23 - Music That Makes You Feel Relaxed 

Untitled 3 - Sigur Ros

I am not a particularly laid back man by nature, so found this more difficult than other days. Even the song I've eventually settled on still kicks off a bit at the end. 

Day 24 - Music That Fills You With Nostalgia

The Whole of the Moon - The Waterboys

My mum and I were on our own in a crappy little flat until I was about five. She's well in to Kate Bush, Bowie and The Waterboys amongst others and certain songs cause a memory trigger of that time, but few as strong as this one. And in that way very early childhood memories are entirely about atmosphere and feeling rather than anything actually specific. 

• Upvote 1

Takes me back to a time when the Rock society at university would play this in the closed off dingy back room dance floor of a pub every week on repeat

Day 23 - music that makes you relaxed

This has become something of an anthem at a festival I've been going to for quite a few years now. Has soundtracked some really cherished memories. 

Day 24 - Music that feels you with nostalgia 

This song makes me feel nostalgic for that time relatively early on in a relationship when you feel comfortable with each other but everything still feels exciting and new.

There's so much I could choose from; songs that make me think of schooldays, friends old and new, nights out, holidays, family and major milestones in life.

Some of them are deeply meaningful, full of melancholy and emotion, or joyous and celebratory.

On the other hand, others are just fairly meaningless songs but really hit the spot in terms of memories - This was playing in a cheesy nightclub on my first night out with a beautiful girl who eventually became my wife.

• Upvote 1

Day 25 - Something you recently discovered

This was released yesterday on the Castles in Space label, I've had stuff from their bandcamp before but this is a new artist on me.

The album is definitely inspired by BOC, but has enough of its own character to pull it off.

Day 25 - Something You Recently Discovered 

Made it Weird - Jacknife Lee ft Open Mike Eagle

Day 26 - Classic Album 2000-2009

Cross - Justice 

Probably not in the top five tracks on the album for me but any excuse to watch the video again. Still great though, obvs. 

Day 26 - Classic album 2000-2009

You may wonder why I didn't pick The Bends or OK Computer for my 90s album pick. Well, it's because Leftfield made my favourite albums of the 90s, and also because I think this is actually Radiohead's best album.

Day 26 - Classic album 2000-2009

These guys  never really got the recognition they deserved and released three albums, the first two of which were great and the third which was very poor.

Their second (Kick up the Fire and Let the Flames Break Loose) is brilliant, and spawned this bonkers Michael Fassbender starring video.

Day 26 - Classic album 2000-2009

Tweaker - The Attraction To All Things Uncertain

Another hard to pick one, I was very close to going with QOTSA Rated R especially as one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to was them touring that album co-headlining with Monster Magnet at the Barras.  But I love Chris Vrenna’s debut album as Tweaker, and going by Spotify year end lists I’ve certainly listened to it more in recent years.  Josh Homme may turn up in another pick.

Day 27 - A great female vocal

Chaka Khan - Ain’t Nobody 

We’re all mature adults here and I think we can sit down together, hold hands and solemnly agree that this is one of the greatest songs of all time.

• Upvote 1

I was listening to What Cha’ Gonna Do For Me yet again the other day and that’s definitely one of the best albums ever too. Every song on that is a winner. 

Day 27 – A great female vocal

I guess you don’t always need to be technically perfect to deliver a perfect vocal. Had to look it up, but it’s by a lady called Ann Craft as part of this gospel band. Proper end of the night tapsaff tackle.