rllmuk

Hopefully allowed to post this in here but someone has found an exploit to run backups on an unmodified PS2.  Certain FW's only at the moment.

• Upvote 2

Does it play PS1 games?

Good this wasn't discovered back in the day!

I read about this last night. Still a little

convoluted to implement but I imagine once it gets properly weaponised then it’ll be pretty sweet. 

One thing that confused me, aren’t there already PS2 boot disks that don’t need a mod?

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

One thing that confused me, aren’t there already PS2 boot disks that don’t need a mod?

10 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

not that you can burn yourself. 

Wasn't that what Swap Magic was? I vaguely remember that there was something similar from Datel, which I think also involved forcing open the disk tray.

Oh right, the Datel boot disks on the GC etc. had to come from an actual fabrication place didn’t they? This is like the holy grail of soft mods.

Anything you can boot requires at least a compromised memory card.

This means you could use a single smartly burned disk to create that memory card in the first place.

You could also reburn games to do it but why bother.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Anything you can boot requires at least a compromised memory card.

This means you could use a single smartly burned disk to create that memory card in the first place.

You could also reburn games to do it but why bother.

I've probably misunderstood your post, but you can use a commercial copy of HDLoader/HDAdvance to boot games from a HDD without an exploit on a memory card.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bplus said:

Does it play PS1 games?

Good this wasn't discovered back in the day!

doesn’t the ps2 already play ps1 games?

29 minutes ago, Camel said:

I've probably misunderstood your post, but you can use a commercial copy of HDLoader/HDAdvance to boot games from a HDD without an exploit on a memory card.

You can, but HDLoader, which I have, only supports up to 128gb drives (and won't rip burned disks) and HDAdvance as a commercial copy is rarer than an empathetic Tory.

Right, but it's still possible. Not viable though by the sounds of it.

Unless:

IMG_6590.thumb.JPG.c2e8cf2dd0e88366d7d93a43e3819dea.JPG

Damn you sir!

But yeah if nothing else this is the easiest cheapest route for the rest of us to open up that functionality.

It'll be like the Dreamcast where it got to the point of being able to put a copied game in without any modding whatsoever, the holy grail. Thankfully this exploit is open source so hopefully there are lots of talented people out there getting this to work on more models of PS2. I am no expert but I assume things like that HDLoader/HDAdvance discs used signed code or a variation of that, a bodge. This exploit allows the execution of unsigned code so basically anything can be run without a mod, that's the ace part. 

Yeah, in theory you could absolutely re-pack a commercial release to self-boot like later DC ones.

That's exactly what they do, and they were sold commercially. The problem is on a burned disk, even that "signed code" won't work.  I have a commercial HDLoader and it's great, it's just as time moved on, its limit of a 128gb HDD is too restricting, plus in a failed attempt to placate sony the commercial one won't install burned games.  With a new one I'm pretty certain you can also FTP games on, lowering strain on very old DVD drives.

Amazing that this is still WIP after 20 years or whatever. I seem to remember at the time there was some marketing bollocks about the PS2 encryption being classified as basically a WMD and it could kill people just by looking at them but maybe there was some truth to it. 

5 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Amazing that this is still WIP after 20 years or whatever. I seem to remember at the time there was some marketing bollocks about the PS2 encryption being classified as basically a WMD and it could kill people just by looking at them but maybe there was some truth to it. 

Ish.

I'm sure we all remember the claims that Saddam Hussein was trying to buy thousands of launch PS2s, intending to network them together into a supercomputing cluster and use them to guide Scud missiles

I'd always assumed it was marketing bullshit planted by someone at Sony (and highly successful marketing bullshit at that - it basically killed the Dreamcast).

More recently PCMag ran an article (syndicated via Medium at the URL below) claiming that the Japanese government had made Sony obtain a special export licence because of "concerns" over "potential military applications":

https://medium.com/pcmag-access/20-years-later-how-concerns-about-weaponized-consoles-almost-sunk-the-playstation-2-7550f0e9c8f3

But what exactly were the “potential military applications” of the PlayStation 2? It all came back to the Emotion Engine and its ability to process three-dimensional images. The chip has a pair of vector-processing units that, in normal use, allow the system to calculate positions in physical space. That functionality could be used outside the game world — say, as part of a missile guidance system.

I still think it's tenuous tbh. But it's interesting/evocative enough that we're still talking about it after twenty years, so I mean, Sony wins whichever way you look at it.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I'd always assumed it was marketing bullshit planted by someone at Sony (and highly successful marketing bullshit at that - it basically killed the Dreamcast).

Sega killed the Dreamcast by doing pretty much everything they did from the Mega CD onwards.

• Upvote 5

I need to thank you for posting this. I have memories of trying to set up some kind of HD solution for PS2 games a few years back now as my games/consoles started acting up but found it ultimately too much of a faff and gave up but in half an hour this is all done and dusted. Utterly trivial, if anyone is on the fence about it. The hardest part was working up the motivation to go into Poundland for some blank DVD-Rs.

• Upvote 2

Ah excellent, mine's in the pending list but I'll bookmark, cheers.

I love that this sort of thing is going on in 2020.  The inginuity of the hacker community amazes me.  But having said that, I think the benefits are outweighed by a PS3 with Rebug Custom Firmware.  Or is there something this is going to let you do that you can't do on PS3?

• Upvote 1

Well yeah there's also the point that if I'm going to emulate a PS2, a PC is probably a better platform.

9 hours ago, Camel said:

On real hardware rather than software emulation.

not all ps3's have real ps2 emotion engine hardware in them, most dont.

52 minutes ago, ulala said:

not all ps3's have real ps2 emotion engine hardware in them, most dont.

Well, yes. That's the point I'm making.

• Upvote 1