I May Destroy You - BBC Masterpiece

21 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

The subject matter, tone and approach are all wildly different, though, which makes any direct comparison largely meaningless. As Festoon says, why not celebrate both? Fleabag didn't win awards without reason, and I'm sure this will (deservingly) pick up plenty of prizes, too. 

This is reductive absurdist nonsense, sorry. Why compare anything, unless it’s exactly the same, eh?

Personally I think Fleabag was wildly overrated, and this is brilliant, so I am literally celebrating only one woman, and that is Michaela Coel. Deal with that, if you can.

13 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Weird, I don't see people comparing an Armando Ianucci show to a JJ Abrahams show, despite them both being created by men...

Tbf you made the first comments comparing it against Fleasbag though.

If people think this is better than Fleabag, fine but I did wonder why the need to say anything just because it created by and stars a woman too.

6 minutes ago, ZOK said:

This is reductive absurdist nonsense, sorry. Why compare anything, unless it’s exactly the same, eh?

Personally I think Fleabag was wildly overrated, and this is brilliant, so I am literally celebrating only one woman, and that is Michaela Coel. Deal with that, if you can.

Crikey. Sorry I clearly touched a nerve, I wasn't really talking about individuals so much as the general conversation on social media (and among TV critics) where people seem absolutely determined to pit the two against one another. It's not the first time, either, it seems to be part of a wider trend - as kerraig rightly points out, you just don't get the same comparisons between male creators. 

11 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Crikey. Sorry I clearly touched a nerve, I wasn't really talking about individuals so much as the general conversation on social media (and among TV critics) where people seem absolutely determined to pit the two against one another. It's not the first time, either, it seems to be part of a wider trend - as kerraig rightly points out, you just don't get the same comparisons between male creators. 

Google ‘Fleabag It May Destroy You’, and you’ll find that people think it deals with similar themes, so that’s probably why as well.

Personally I think that’s a simplistic take on things and it’s more to do with the holistic vision and creation of the individuals concerned still being comparatively rare in the mainstream industry, reactionary and sexist as it is, but maybe I’m wrong.

I’ve no idea what people say about it on social media, so I can’t speak to that, but I do find the idea that we can only celebrate one woman at a time to be nonsense.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

If people think this is better than Fleabag, fine but I did wonder why the need to say anything just because it created by and stars a woman too.

That is very much a fair cop.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Google ‘Fleabag It May Destroy You’, and you’ll find that people think it deals with similar themes, so that’s probably why as well.

Personally I think that’s a simplistic take on things and it’s more to do with the holistic vision and creation of the individuals concerned still being comparatively rare in the mainstream industry, reactionary and sexist as it is, but maybe I’m wrong.

I’ve no idea what people say about it on social media, so I can’t speak to that, but I do find the idea that we can only celebrate one woman at a time to be nonsense.

Ah, well we're essentially on the same page then, except I like Fleabag a bit more. Anyway, glad more people are talking about this because it's great. If the Fleabag comparisons help get more eyes on it, then that's not an entirely bad thing.

1 hour ago, Rudderless said:

The subject matter, tone and approach are all wildly different, though, which makes any direct comparison largely meaningless. As Festoon says, why not celebrate both? Fleabag didn't win awards without reason, and I'm sure this will (deservingly) pick up plenty of prizes, too. 

There must always be a backlash, however great something is...

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Exactly, why not say how much better it is than This Way Up, or This Country? Nope, it's got to be better than the last 'best' thing. I don't know why art is a zero sum game for so many.

• Upvote 2

Still have two more eps to go of this, but it is just stunning, the best thing I've seen on tv for ages. Heartbreaking, funny, and feels realer in all its complexity and weirdness than most things on tv. 

23 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Fucking Netflix, I dread the new landscape in a few years when they control everything. And people complain about paying the UK TV licence fee, for all the biased news coverage and shitty mainstream we have to remember that the BBC also takes risks and is something we should protect (even if it needs a bit of reforming) because it gives us stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 3
24 minutes ago, Minion said:

Fucking Netflix, I dread the new landscape in a few years when they control everything. And people complain about paying the UK TV licence fee, for all the biased news coverage and shitty mainstream we have to remember that the BBC also takes risks and is something we should protect (even if it needs a bit of reforming) because it gives us stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

It has destroyed any chance of a career for people at my level. You get paid a production fee and sign over any residuals. But it takes about 3 years to set up a film and a producers fee is usually around £100k. In the good old days you''d be hoping to retire on the residuals from TV sales from your body of work, but now producers live paycheck to paycheck. 

This article about Coel is phenomenal. She's the real deal: https://www.vulture.com/article/michaela-coel-i-may-destroy-you.html

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Just caught up with episode 3 last night.  Yeah, that 'coming up' bit in the club in italy was spot on.

Oh my sweet summer child. It keeps going and going. It feels like watching reservoir dogs at the Odeon Romford cos Dracula was sold out...

• Upvote 1
On 07/07/2020 at 13:12, Festoon said:

I'm no huge fan of Fleabag but I can't understand why people are criticizing that to praise this - are we only allow one successful woman at a time?

I thought Fleabag was over hyped, and so successful in part due to arriving at a time everyone was ready for something like it. 
I found it funny in places but the glowing reviews here and elsewhere just baffled me. Got so sick of people raving about it. 
I May Destroy You is in a completely different league imo - It’s a terrific view of life and London and it really takes me back to when I grew up there and my gf at the time who was just as fantastic as she is. 
Oh to be young (ish) again. 

Makes life out in Suffolk seem so mundane...

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

This article about Coel is phenomenal. She's the real deal: https://www.vulture.com/article/michaela-coel-i-may-destroy-you.html

She declined to do a third season of Chewing Gum and an offer to have a production company under the now-defunct Retort. (“Something about it didn’t feel clean.”)

So much respect for her for sticking to her principles, especially after the way she was treated on her own show.

• Upvote 3
17 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

I thought Fleabag was over hyped, and so successful in part due to arriving at a time everyone was ready for something like it. 
I found it funny in places but the glowing reviews here and elsewhere just baffled me. Got so sick of people raving about it. 
I May Destroy You is in a completely different league imo - It’s a terrific view of life and London and it really takes me back to when I grew up there and my gf at the time who was just as fantastic as she is. 
Oh to be young (ish) again. 

Makes life out in Suffolk seem so mundane...

They're aiming for completely different things, I don't understand the comparisons. Fleabag is far more overtly comedic in its intentions with a lot of sitcom-esque scenarios and one-liners. Obviously it's mixed in with some drama and self-reflection, especially in season 2, but it's very squarely a comedy-drama with the emphasis a little more on comedy imo.

I May Destroy You, from what I've seen so far, is a drama/slice of life with occasional funny moments, and those funny moments tend to be more understated. It's not knowingly jokey like Fleabag is. The tone and intentions of the two shows are very different.

I think the backlash against Fleabag is really unfair. Just because it was hyped as the second coming by the media doesn't make it a bad show and is hardly the fault of Phoebe yet you see people here using the hype against the show itself even while admitting they enjoyed it.

• Upvote 3

There also seems to be this 180 happening on Fleabag in order to validate this show. It's ok for both things to be good, it's not one or the other. There's room for all :D

• Upvote 2

There’s also room to say this is ten times better than Fleabag, as @kerraig UK correctly observed.

A better question, considering our human culture has already decided the two will be compared as I pointed out above, is to consider why people think they can’t be compared.

54 minutes ago, Majora said:

They're aiming for completely different things, I don't understand the comparisons. Fleabag is far more overtly comedic in its intentions with a lot of sitcom-esque scenarios and one-liners. Obviously it's mixed in with some drama and self-reflection, especially in season 2, but it's very squarely a comedy-drama with the emphasis a little more on comedy imo.

I May Destroy You, from what I've seen so far, is a drama/slice of life with occasional funny moments, and those funny moments tend to be more understated. It's not knowingly jokey like Fleabag is. The tone and intentions of the two shows are very different.

I think the backlash against Fleabag is really unfair. Just because it was hyped as the second coming by the media doesn't make it a bad show and is hardly the fault of Phoebe yet you see people here using the hype against the show itself even while admitting they enjoyed it.

I wouldn’t have brought it up - someone else did. 
Appreciate they aren’t the same thing, my point though is that Fleabag was shouted from the rooftops as the second coming and I thought is was only OK. This is being celebrated as fantastic, and I 100% agree.  
So IMO only, all the praise for IMDY is justified and all the praise for Fleabag is well just a bit over egged. 

7 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

And conversely, I enjoyed Fleabag a lot more than this, by nature of it being a sitcom, on a superficial level it was more of a crowd-pleaser.

IMDY is frequently uncomfortable to watch.

I can’t deny that. But then I find Hey Dougie enjoyable but, actually that doesn’t work, Hey Dougie is world class. 

33 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Because saying one show / movie / band /album is "ten times better" than another show / movie / band / album across different genres is entirely subjective and ultimately pointless

You’re on a forum. That’s what everything is.

1 hour ago, Dr Nookie said:

I can’t deny that. But then I find Hey Dougie enjoyable but, actually that doesn’t work, Hey Dougie is world class. 

But it's not as good as The Sopranos

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ZOK said:

There’s also room to say this is ten times better than Fleabag, as @kerraig UK correctly observed.

A better question, considering our human culture has already decided the two will be compared as I pointed out above, is to consider why people think they can’t be compared.

And Fleabag is ten times better than The Nutty Professor 2, but that's a pointless comparison.  There's still a place for The Nutty Professor 2.  It's not trying to compete with Fleabag.