rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lovelyman

Is the Mr Driller remake in HDR on PS4?

Can't decide whether to get the PS4 or Switch version!

Also is there a tutorial video that is worth watching? Never really figured out how to play it properly!

Thanks!

It's not out for the PS4, is it? Just Switch and PC. 

43 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

Also is there a tutorial video that is worth watching? Never really figured out how to play it properly!

This is the NTSC-UK thread that got me into the game orignally.

https://bordersdown.net/threads/52411-A-look-at-the-Mr-Driller-Series

All that?s required are four directions and a button to operate the drill that our eponymous hero uses to save the world; a spinning metal ray of light to cut through the subterranean darkness, an urban Excalibur with which to solve the mystery of the blocks that are coming from deep underground, a? yeh, you get the idea.
So, with a control scheme that eschews increasingly common complexity, Mr Driller is already accessible to a large audience and the gameplay is simplicity in itself.

It can be boiled down to three simple but very important rules:
1) Don?t get squashed.
2) Don?t run out of air.
3) Four blocks of the same colour coming into contact will disappear.

Simplicity doesn?t necessarily equal challenge, depth or fun but, in Mr Driller?s case, all three are present in huge amounts, although they may not initially be visible to the naked eye. A first play or watch of Mr Driller will usually end with the same reactions; ?I can?t do it?, ?If I wanted to join blocks up, I?d play Tetris?, ?It?s just going downwards and pressing the button really quickly? and ?Do you think ?Driller? is his real surname??
OK, so possibly not that last one if you?re mentally normal.

So you either give up or persevere. If you give up, no loss really, go and play with your polygons, I hope you have a good time. Perseverance, however, brings out those aforementioned qualities of Mr Driller: challenge, depth and fun. ?I can do this?, you realise, edging closer to your first 500 metre clearance as another swathe of what looks like baby blue blancmange squashes our pink-clad hero flat, spawning the Angel Of Game Over once again.
Then, gradually, it becomes clearer. You learn how to set blocks to fall and self-destruct in chains, to treat reaching each air capsule like a little puzzle within itself, to delay a falling column for a split second longer by drilling upwards at just the right moment, to drill through those evil X blocks that take five hits to destroy when it?ll work to your advantage, when to move and when to stand still - the advanced techniques that will aid your graduation from a 500 metre novice to a 2000 metre Perfect Driller (with sparkly award and sizable points bonus, of course). Risk/reward is the intrinsic theme that runs through the Mr Driller games: take no risk and play it safe all the time and you?ll reap very little reward, usually ending up suffocating, literally, under the weight of your own caution. Learn how to take necessary risks to progress, though, and it?s got you. You?re in. There?s little chance of escape. You can?t help but work your own mini puzzles in your head when you?re not playing, a dodge here, a drill there, a climb to the air capsule next. Just don?t play it before bedtime, ok?

I cannot find the video they keep referencing in the thread but it does give you an idea of how to play the game. If you buy it the The Hole of Druaga mode mode is the one to play, like Dristone Driller mode on the DS you only use up oxygen when you drill which makes the game more strategic and you can get used to how the blocks drop and the best way to move down the level. 

• Upvote 3

I'm going to count the number of button presses needed on loading to get into a game, it has to be the most of any game I can remember and is an awful bit of UI design.

This game does seem to go out of its way to be obtuse and not tell you what is going on, I only twigged from a youtube video that the different modes from the main map all play different variations of the core game.

I'm still getting squashed a lot but slower definitely helps

I remember mr driller on the psone. It was a good concept but I was rubbish at it. Then on GameCube I remember being excited about the Mr driller game but it was never localised. I have the psone Mr driller on my vita but again haven't got very far. 

Saw the demo on the switch yesterday. Enjoyed it more than the previous version. The full game is only £15 thought it would be worth it. It's great. 

There are a bunch of different game modes that expand on the concept, they all have multiple levels. I think the game does a good job of explaining what to do in each level type. 

Feels very smooth esp with framerate and clarity on the lite. I'm pretty sure this is just the GameCube game but ported. It's from 2002; it could pass as a brand new entry and makes it even more annoying that we missed out on this 18 years ago! 

In terms of puzzle games I've not been as hooked since Tetris effect. No reason this isn't on PS4 and shame that it's switch and pc only. Maybe they didn't want to have to add achievements. 

Bandai Namco seem to be doing a series of these on Switch. We've had a Katamari remake and a Mr Driller remake. Rumour seems to hint at Klonoa coming next. 

I've cleared all the 500m levels but really struggling on basic Drill World Tour 1000m, best is about 850m. Think I must've said 'right, one more go' about a dozen times. 2hrs later... no further progress :hmm:

WTF?!!!! Kissy and Dig Dug guy had sad and gave birth to Mr Driller?

image.png.c27d37deb5c96bc716b3128bceb335cf.pngimage.png.8b03db743986c24842fa74c72b354f4f.png - what kind of Fukery is this!!

I get Mr Driller might be some Dig Dug sequal but WTF! I hope he didn't use the spade or if he did, used some kind of antialiasing protection!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

I've cleared all the 500m levels but really struggling on basic Drill World Tour 1000m, best is about 850m. Think I must've said 'right, one more go' about a dozen times. 2hrs later... no further progress :hmm:

It's not just you, Level 2 is punishing. I can just about complete World Tour using a bubble power up, but then you can't enter the online rankings. I think the idea is they want you to use items until you git gud, then you can take stabilisers off. 

Going to try and tackle L2 Drindy Adventure next. Gonna take it slow! 

43 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Going to try and tackle L2 Drindy Adventure next. Gonna take it slow! 

Forgot which mode I was playing :doh: Done 1000m on Drill World Tour but Star Driller is the one I'm currently tackling. Just need a couple of lucky bonuses down in the depths... 

had my first 500m run on Drill World - then it seems to open up some shop which I don't have a clue about the point of, this game is making me feel very old, like my Dad looking at things when I was younger.

key to the run was focussing on trying to clear off the harder blocks that cost air to break by matching up 4 or more in drops

the shop lets you buy extra lives and stuff, it's been crucial for me to make any progress past level 1. well i did level 2 world tour without buying stuff but had to buy stuff for everything else on level 2. even after buying loads of extra lives i'm still stuck on level 3 indiana jones stage, the rolling boulders are a nightmare. they keep finding new ways to kill me each time. i did find out some useful stuff about them though, just before they start moving you can climb them, and if you're on a block about to be crushed you can run over the top of them.

maybe someone could change the thread title to make this the Mr Driller DrillLand thread?

• Upvote 1

Ooh I remember I had a jpn import of drill land on the GameCube and LOVED it. I was awful at it but must have sunk hours in to it. The main recollection of it was the wonderful box art, it was gorgeous. 

Very tempted by this I must admit

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

had my first 500m run on Drill World - then it seems to open up some shop which I don't have a clue about the point of, this game is making me feel very old, like my Dad looking at things when I was younger.

key to the run was focussing on trying to clear off the harder blocks that cost air to break by matching up 4 or more in drops

The shop sells stuff that makes the game a bit easier for us mere mortals. It's the dark souls of arcade puzzle games

Oh man this is so good. Nailed my first 500m on world tour on my 4th or 5th attempt. I love how on the edge you have to be to move quickly enough not to run out of air. Nice to play it in English too, some of it actually makes sense now :)

Going to be some hours sunk in to this I reckon. 

• Upvote 3

On 30/06/2020 at 14:59, spanx said:

Ooh I remember I had a jpn import of drill land on the GameCube and LOVED it. I was awful at it but must have sunk hours in to it. The main recollection of it was the wonderful box art, it was gorgeous. 

I have to confess I ended up playing the GBA games Mr Driller 2 and Mr Driller A more because of their simple menus and the fear I might accidentally overwrite all of my saves files by trying to save a Japanese GC game to a memory card filled with PAL / NTSC US game saves. 

• Upvote 1

Ouch... I'm still trying to crack Star Driller L2, nothing further than 850m despite regularly getting past 500m with all 3 lives. 

On 28/06/2020 at 01:07, Horribleman said:

Can't decide whether to get the PS4 or Switch version!

Thanks!

Any chance of a thread title change?

• Upvote 4

This game made me dig up Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits again. The sprites are tiny, but you really can't knock the gameplay of a Mr. Driller game.

Drill Land's next obviously. 

• Upvote 1

Got a NTSC Dreamcast copy of this in about 2003. Must play it at some point (looks at mountain of shame...)

This game makes me feel thick as I never understand the menus.

So I've done a 500m in Driller Land a couple of times but level 2 doesn't show as unlocked, anybody know what I am meant to do to get it ?

^ you have to do level 1 on all 5 different game types then a boss one before you unlock level 2. I’m not too keen on how that works but I guess it makes you try all the different modes.

• Upvote 1

How's everyone getting on? I finally completed 1000m on Star Driller so that's 2 down on Level 2. Drindy Adventure next!

• Upvote 1