At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

The absolute beauty of PC gaming is choice. Once you realise every game can either have the graphics fidelity or frame rate or both if you have a powerful enough machine it really is a wonderful way to game.

Sekiro was my gateway back into PC gaming. Loved my X and love my Pro but was pretty pissed From chose image quality with no option to prefer frame rate. No such problem over on PC. The choice is mine.

2 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

I'll be joining you soon. Just waiting that 3080 or whatever AMD decide to bring out.

Like wise but waiting until next winter time. My setup is great right now. Have a 27" 4K monitor ready for the upgrade so although games won't run that well at 4K@60fps it's great for working in the desktop on.

Not sure what I will need to upgrade to next year I'll just set a budget aside and see what I can do. Ideally games at 4K@60fps in high graphic detail is the target. (Although something that would run a majority of content at ultra levels would be nice for a change!).

On 27/06/2020 at 11:40, Uzi said:

PCLOL.jpeg.ca50779e0f4310f58639050184360b13.jpeg

Let your eyes enjoy!

(they stay off most of the time)

Mate! Bonkers clubbing scene in your gaff. Nice card. I had to sit for an interview with the bank manager before I was allowed an RTX2070

2 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

I'll be joining you soon. Just waiting that 3080 or whatever AMD decide to bring out.

Yeah there's never a good time to buy but it's my 40th later this month and I could well be off work for another 3 (but when I get back I'm safe).

So as good a time as any.

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

Thats the thing isn't it? As long as it does what you need its good enough! No longer worry too much what is the latest and greatest (other than reading up on trends etc) just get what I actually need to get the experience I am happy with. My setup costs me around £600 to upgrade every 4-5 years. Depends on what I decide I need at that time and happy to be behind the curve a bit to keep costs down 

I was just happy to get a GPU upgrade recently for £50! Its made a huge difference to my gaming and its a five year old card!!! (980 Ti). Its still an amazing card and runs everything well at 1080p at a decent frame rate/quality. I didn't have high expectations but its exceeded them completely it was bought as a bridge until I see what type of cards we will need to keep on par with the new consoles next year and to make my VR experience a bit smoother. 

100% it also means I've had incredible value for this machine I bought him when he was 10, it's now nearly 6 years old, still going strong, Modern Warfare runs with everything on full except RTX at 1080p at 60fps still, the only thing that changed is the GPU and CPU Cooler, combined it cost less than £200 to upgrade them. 

It probably wont perform in newer games due to the increased CPU capability of the PS5/XSX but i'll get another year or 2 out of it i think.

3 hours ago, choddo said:

Mate! Bonkers clubbing scene in your gaff. Nice card. I had to sit for an interview with the bank manager before I was allowed an RTX2070

IMG_20200627_160334.thumb.jpg.79014d475b9cbaf7e57da4144ac43f9a.jpg

Oh its a beauty alright. I basically cooked the books by using PayPal balance I already had so my already cheap (for the ti) £800 gpu turned up as £500 in the bank statement 

On 03/07/2020 at 11:37, bm said:

I wonder if you wouldn't mind indulging me on one last laptop question. 

I'm after the Zephyrus G14, but the only variant I can find in the UK with an RTX 2060 is a QHD screen, which I understand will impact the framerate. However, I have a 1080p monitor at home I could easily link to - so my question is: if I find some games running poorly on 1440p, would outputting only to an external 1080p monitor give me exactly the same grunt as if the internal display was 1080p? And if that 1080p monitor had a 120hz refresh rate, would that effectively be using the laptop power as efficiently as it would if its internal screen was the same? 

Finally (sorry) would knocking down the laptop screen to 1080 resolution if needed have any significant drawbacks?

Sorry!  

Is it this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zephyrus-GA401IV-GeForce-Graphics-Windows/dp/B084N16YTY

If so, I'd probably buy something else personally. Laptop Ryzen is good but fuckall tunability compared to Intel (except for the fact that Intel have generally locked down 10th Gen CPUs due to yet another gaping security hole, fucking clown shoes). Also it features a Max-Q 2060 which is undesirable if best performance is what you are after.

You might also wish to be aware of a major negative with most gaming laptops, the shit that is Optimus causing performance loss versus either a directly connected GPU or a switchable one, but this shouldn't be a problem with Ryzen as there is no iGPU to pass through so the point is moot on this particular model, but it applies to the vast majority of Intel-based gaming laptops without G-SYNC or a Mux or the rare directly connected ones.

If you connect to an external monitor, it'll behave like a standard desktop PC usually, just with a potentially much, much more annoying louder compact base unit. Alternatively change the rendering resolution to 1080p, but this will likely have some scaling image quality side-effects on the 1440p laptop internal display.

Really helpful advice, all - thank you. 

@mushashi that is the one I'm think of. I've been running off a Razer Blade for the last three years, so I'm used to the noise - just don't really have space for a desktop PC in the current set-up. I'm mainly interested in the 2060 for the ray-tracing, and that's mainly for Cyberpunk, but will continue to investigate - maybe I don't need it to be an ultrabook. 

Thanks again. 

If gaming, bulkier the better really so you can get a decent cooler in there to keep the temps down, not so much the noise though :P

The last thin and light gaming laptop I tried got brought to its knees when I pushed it compared to some more chunkier units. If you're buying for the space savings, even a bulky DTR is still tiny compared to even consoles or the smallest desktop PCs.

RE: RTX, if you can hold on and the rumours are true, Ampere will be our Lord & Saviour for that.

I've got an older gaming laptop. It's been great but doesn't get as much use as it used to after building my desktop machine. It's a 1060 6GB and an I5 and will play 90% of games at medium/high at 1080p 60fps. Not what I'd call noisy and very little if any throttling after several hours of play, it's not thin mind.

If space is a premium and a desktop is out of the question there are laptops out there that will have you gaming well beyond current console image quality. Some of the Nvidia 20XX series equipped laptops will even give next gen consoles a run for their money. A desktop is preferable for gaming (no shit) but if it has to be a laptop then do your homework on the machine's thermals and spec and then enjoy a great PC gaming experience. Gaming laptops have come on massively in the last several years.

Lots of great laptops out there. Don't worry.

On 29/06/2020 at 07:37, bridger said:

I’ve long fancied a gaming PC but really only for the stuff you can’t get on consoles or really needs mouse and keyboard control such as Civ and other strategy games. 

Are the pre-built PCs mentioned above good choices for this or would they be overkill?

Rather than FPS should I instead focus on 4K at a lower framerate  perhaps? 

Apologies if these are daft questions. I’ve always only had consoles. 

Which prebuilt are you looking at?

Even playing RTS/TBS games, you still would want 60fps, primarily because mouse control doesn't feel great at 30fps due to the much lower input latency a mouse is capable of. You may not need the most fancy graphics card I suppose, but if gaming at 4K, you still will as it requires more power to cope with the higher rendering resolution.

If you want to save money, stick with 1080p so you can spend less on the graphics card to reach a certain level of performance and graphical quality. For example, a RTX 2060 at 1080p will give you comparable graphics quality/performance to a RTX 2080 Ti at 4K, for one third of the price!

The CPU would be the same in all situations as that is quite important for strategy games.

10 hours ago, Uzi said:

IMG_20200627_160334.thumb.jpg.79014d475b9cbaf7e57da4144ac43f9a.jpg

Oh its a beauty alright. I basically cooked the books by using PayPal balance I already had so my already cheap (for the ti) £800 gpu turned up as £500 in the bank statement 

I note a disturbing lack of structural parcel tape.

On 03/07/2020 at 06:12, skittles said:

Thanks man! First port of call is Anno 1800 and Valorant with the boys!

2 hours to go..

Valorant will take over your life. In a good way.

It's the best competitive FPS game since Counter Strike.

I just wanted to say that if you are going to use the computer for work/reading/browsing it might worth to get a future proof 4k monitor even on a mid class graphic card. Most modern games have rendering at variable resolution that makes nice scaling when necessary. 

Olde ganes run fine ar 4k.

Theres a group of games without private scaling and too new to run well on native 4k I'm thinking of Dirt 4 in my personal case. . That's a bit annoying but Im OK with that. 1440p on a 4k doesn't look that bad if that's the case. 

8 hours ago, daifuco said:

I just wanted to say that if you are going to use the computer for work/reading/browsing it might worth to get a future proof 4k monitor even on a mid class graphic card. Most modern games have rendering at variable resolution that makes nice scaling when necessary. 

Olde ganes run fine ar 4k.

Theres a group of games without private scaling and too new to run well on native 4k I'm thinking of Dirt 4 in my personal case. . That's a bit annoying but Im OK with that. 1440p on a 4k doesn't look that bad if that's the case. 

If you are using a current generation Nvidia/AMD or last gen AMD GFX card, you can make use of driver-level integer scaling with a 4K monitor and avoid the usual crap blurry scaling algorithm used by GFX cards when not rendering at a native display resolution. 1080p should scale perfectly to 4K, this is a universal solution.

On 05/07/2020 at 15:02, Isaac said:

Valorant will take over your life. In a good way.

It's the best competitive FPS game since Counter Strike.

Oh it has. I love it. Doing OK considering it's my first time using a keyboard.

I also put 6 hours into Anno 1800 yesterday... It looks INCREDIBLE! Maxed out specs too! So impressed. Also what a game.

I spent so long sitting on my wooden chair that I couldn't do one of the exercises at my crossfit class this morning because my ass bone hurt so much. haha

1 hour ago, skittles said:

Oh it has. I love it. Doing OK considering it's my first time using a keyboard.

I also put 6 hours into Anno 1800 yesterday... It looks INCREDIBLE! Maxed out specs too! So impressed. Also what a game.

I spent so long sitting on my wooden chair that I couldn't do one of the exercises at my crossfit class this morning because my ass bone hurt so much. haha

Get a proper chair you luxe dummy!

https://www.noblechairs.co.uk/hero-series

I got this - comfy as fuck with decent lumbar support but anything will be an improvement what you have haha

16 hours ago, Uzi said:

Get a proper chair you luxe dummy!

https://www.noblechairs.co.uk/hero-series

I got this - comfy as fuck with decent lumbar support but anything will be an improvement what you have haha

Really love that. I'm looking at Noble and Secret Lab https://secretlab.sg/collections/titan-series?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=sg-google-shop&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=datafeed#titan_2020-black&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcy_ncG66gIVlgsrCh2z3Q-JEAQYAiABEgIhVfD_BwE

Just how much does one need to spend on chairs to get the correct functionality...

2 minutes ago, skittles said:

Really love that. I'm looking at Noble and Secret Lab https://secretlab.sg/collections/titan-series?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=sg-google-shop&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=datafeed#titan_2020-black&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcy_ncG66gIVlgsrCh2z3Q-JEAQYAiABEgIhVfD_BwE

Just how much does one need to spend on chairs to get the correct functionality...

Not much, if you want ergonomic comfort over something obviously 'gaming', and are willing to go 'second hand' (barely used by a business that blew up or went bust).

I got one of these https://www.johnlewis.com/humanscale-freedom-office-chair-with-headrest/p839102s for £300 used from a business that specializes in shifting ex-business stock, I'm sure there are Singapore-based equivalents where you can get a proper real leather Humanscale or Herman Miller chair, if you wanted to be a properly luxe gamer ;)

I have another question. 

Is there an easy way for me to play PC games on my projector? For those games where I would rather sit on the sofa and have a big screen.

PC is in my main room and my projector is in the home cinema room. My amp and AV unit are approximately 10+m away and through a door.

@skittles Short answer: depends on distance. If you're going over 5m for a cable, you're looking at the signal possibly degrading. As I assume your cable will also travel vertically to reach the projector, I guess you'll exceed 5m.

A way around it is to use two cables, with a powered HDMI (or whatever format) splitter, to act as a junction box/signal booster.

2 hours ago, Treble said:

@skittles Short answer: depends on distance. If you're going over 5m for a cable, you're looking at the signal possibly degrading. As I assume your cable will also travel vertically to reach the projector, I guess you'll exceed 5m.

A way around it is to use two cables, with a powered HDMI (or whatever format) splitter, to act as a junction box/signal booster.

I could run a 10m HDMI through the house to the amp... which then splits to the projector but then there is a question of whether the bluetooth controller will reach the PC console.

Are there any devices I could put in the TV room that can receive signals from the PC?

32 minutes ago, skittles said:

I could run a 10m HDMI through the house to the amp... which then splits to the projector but then there is a question of whether the bluetooth controller will reach the PC console.

Are there any devices I could put in the TV room that can receive signals from the PC?

One of the technologies like Steam Link or GeForce Now, perhaps? But the HDMI splitter in the amp might do the job, I dunno. 

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

Not much, if you want ergonomic comfort over something obviously 'gaming', and are willing to go 'second hand' (barely used by a business that blew up or went bust).

I got one of these https://www.johnlewis.com/humanscale-freedom-office-chair-with-headrest/p839102s for £300 used from a business that specializes in shifting ex-business stock, I'm sure there are Singapore-based equivalents where you can get a proper real leather Humanscale or Herman Miller chair, if you wanted to be a properly luxe gamer ;)

I agree - second hand unfortunately wasn't an option for me due to Mrs so I compromised on the chair I have after doing literally days on end of research and I am genuinely surprised at how great it is - it rivals my work £800 chair for comfort and support in the year or so that I've had it. "Proper" chairs are best and most gaming chairs will be cheap nonsense but there are some decent options for all price ranges. I hear the Ikea Marcus is good for the price also.