Jump to content
IGNORED

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.


skittles
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thanks guys.

 

Had a fun couple of hours this afternoon starting the build. Understanding all the various parts of the case. Stripping it right down for access, removing the HDD cage, losing spare panels for airflow etc. Then mounting the mobo, CPU, ram and M2 drives, sorting the AIO mounting and rad fans, testing the PSU etc. Taking my time. Learning as I go. 
 

Tomorrow I’ll start all the crazy cabling and do some cable management. Then thermal paste the AIO block, pop in the 3070, and set up the new monitor.

 

Might even do that first boot. Finally got my Win 10 boot USB ready to go (a ballache these days on a Mac, I can tell you!).

 

In no rush, having fun with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

Thanks guys.

 

Had a fun couple of hours this afternoon starting the build. Understanding all the various parts of the case. Stripping it right down for access, removing the HDD cage, losing spare panels for airflow etc. Then mounting the mobo, CPU, ram and M2 drives, sorting the AIO mounting and rad fans, testing the PSU etc. Taking my time. Learning as I go. 
 

Tomorrow I’ll start all the crazy cabling and do some cable management. Then thermal paste the AIO block, pop in the 3070, and set up the new monitor.

 

Might even do that first boot. Finally got my Win 10 boot USB ready to go (a ballache these days on a Mac, I can tell you!).

 

In no rush, having fun with it.

 

 

That's almost exactly as much as I did today too, bar testing the PSU which I did five weeks ago when I bought it.

 

Are you sure you need to thermal paste the AIO block? Mine comes with it preapplied.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Mogster said:

Defender is good these days, and also the least intrusive option.

Defender is the best option IMHO been using it for years now. Surprising it took MS a while to get a decent AV solution baked into the OS. Thier Edge browser is pretty good too these days. Liking some of the features on that also has some nice security options on there for safer browsing too. Oh Chromium based now too. 

 

Although saying that I started using Vivaldi last month and it's my favourite browser of all time :) Love the swipe out webpages. Great to have messenger and email pages on there and have general browsing on tabs at the top as normal. Also has a decent ad- blocker built in.

 

Enjoy building your new toys all! Hope you get to have some fun on them today! Also put some piccies up when done! Also good to see some new builds! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2020 at 20:14, ThePixelbarks said:

Right, so everyone has put their cards on the table now. It's finally time to start going for my build.

 

I've given myself a max budget of £1500, and here's the rough outline of my budget so far:

image.png.d2ae798d73dd607feb81fa92f35fd7a1.png

 

I'm currently running on a 1080 60Hz main monitor, but one day I play to upgrade this to a 1440 144Hz. I'm really debating with myself about the GPU. I'm never going to go for a 4k Monitor, so the push towards 4k 60fps has no appeal to me. I'm looking for this PC to pretty much last me for most of this next generation.

Do I join the hair pulling hunt for a 3000 series?

Same question again, but for Big Navi?

Do I try and pick up a 2000 series or similar Radeon card? (I want ray tracing, that's for certain)

 

Any feedback would be great!

 

The reviews are now in, if you're a gaming the 5600x is actually a better part than the 5800x. Save yourself some money there and put it into the GPU or more RAM.

I'm also waiting to see what the reviews are saying over x570 vs B550 motherboards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once stocks come in I'm hoping to build:

 

Ryzen 5900X

64GB RAM

GPU TBD (waiting on the reviews and stock of the new AMDs)

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (main)

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (secondary)

Motherboard TBD

Fractal Design Meshify S2 (unless I can find a cheaper case with good airflow which has no glass and doesn't look like an xmas tree) (https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/fractal-design-meshify-s2)

750W PSU from an A-brand

Air cooling.

 

It's for work so the cores and lots of RAM are important. The videocard is less so, but it's not worth skimping there because it's all part of having top class performance.

 

The motherboard is also a big question, I'm waiting to see if the B550 boards are up to it vs the x570.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Once stocks come in I'm hoping to build:

 

Ryzen 5900X

64GB RAM

GPU TBD (waiting on the reviews and stock of the new AMDs)

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (main)

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (secondary)

Motherboard TBD

Fractal Design Meshify S2 (unless I can find a cheaper case with good airflow which has no glass and doesn't look like an xmas tree) (https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/fractal-design-meshify-s2)

750W PSU from an A-brand

Air cooling.

 

It's for work so the cores and lots of RAM are important. The videocard is less so, but it's not worth skimping there because it's all part of having top class performance.

 

The motherboard is also a big question, I'm waiting to see if the B550 boards are up to it vs the x570.

 


AMD seemed to be saying that the fun CPU+GPU working together features were x570 exclusive, which might lead you one way...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, footle said:


AMD seemed to be saying that the fun CPU+GPU working together features were x570 exclusive, which might lead you one way...

 

I dunno if it's worth making tough decisions based on that, though. The hardware this gen is crazy good, so unless you're pushing the very highest resolutions, that performance boost isn't going to be that noticeable. And on top of that, it's something that needs to be specifically implemented on a game-by-game basis, so who knows what it's uptake will be like.

 

That said, if you can jump across to a x570, do it, because free performance is free performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know there is a trading folder but I have a couple of items for sale for any builders which I was about to put on eBay/FB marketplace:

 

16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3600mhz (2x8GB) used once and removed as the heatsink was too big for my AIO cooling. Posted a thread in trading a while back. 

 

500GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO M2 drive. Unopened as I somehow bought two by accident and by the time I came back off holiday I was out of time to return it :(

 

If anyone is on the look out give me a shout. If this needs to be moved to trading folder let me know and I'll sort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

 

I dunno if it's worth making tough decisions based on that, though. The hardware this gen is crazy good, so unless you're pushing the very highest resolutions, that performance boost isn't going to be that noticeable. And on top of that, it's something that needs to be specifically implemented on a game-by-game basis, so who knows what it's uptake will be like.

 

That said, if you can jump across to a x570, do it, because free performance is free performance.

 

They said it works without specific implementation, but will work better if actually specifically implemented. Some of their comparison benchmarks showed improvements on legacy games of a variable amount as-is without modification, which should in theory be even higher with some actual effort and code optimisation to use it.

 

It's AMD's own vendor-lock-in strategy:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've recently ordered a Virtual Pinball cabinet which will come with a 2 player joystick setup as well to play MAME.

 

Here are the PC specs:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU 8 Core

GeForce RTX 2060 Super OC 8G

16 GB Hyper-X DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

 

Do you guys think this will this be enough to run some of the newer fighters and shooters like SFV, Mortal Kombat 11, Tekken 7, Dragonball FighterZ, Cuphead, etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

I've recently ordered a Virtual Pinball cabinet which will come with a 2 player joystick setup as well to play MAME.

 

Here are the PC specs:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU 8 Core

GeForce RTX 2060 Super OC 8G

16 GB Hyper-X DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

 

Do you guys think this will this be enough to run some of the newer fighters and shooters like SFV, Mortal Kombat 11, Tekken 7, Dragonball FighterZ, Cuphead, etc?

 

Oh wow, I just had a google. I bet that wasn't cheap. The screens look huge on those things! Fabulous!

So you can boot into windows and play regular pc games on that as well as mame, is that right?

I'd love to see blue revolver running on that thing! Will you post some pictures when you've got it all up and running?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, spatular said:

that pc will run any current pc game.

 

Yep. With that kind of processor, you should also find that emulating most consoles is pretty easy, so look into games that are compatible with RPCS3 and Teknoparrot as well if you're bothered with that sort of thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2020 at 07:28, HarryBizzle said:

This is the case I'm after, lovely and clean design. They're out of stock worldwide:

 

Wi9qmL3.png

 

 

 

And here's an example of what one of the few people to be able to get their hands on one has done to it:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

SIvxDkD.jpg

 

 

Did you manage to get one? I've had one on order with Overclockers for over 2 months. Got all my other bits waiting for it now :rolleyes:

 

PC.thumb.jpg.1e22e938c59cae14e0a04c8b8567a4d7.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Fox said:

 

Did you manage to get one? I've had one on order with Overclockers for over 2 months. Got all my other bits waiting for it now :rolleyes:

 

PC.thumb.jpg.1e22e938c59cae14e0a04c8b8567a4d7.jpg

 

 

Nah, I hate overclockers, so wasn't gonna give them my money. SCAN have it up for order with an estimated stock date of 30/11/20: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-masterbox-nr200p-white-mini-tower-w-tempered-glass-window-2x-120mm-fans-usb-32-gen1-mi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I built a budget HTPC earlier this year purely for gaming, 4460s, 16GB RAM and an RX580 4GB, which works very well for older titles but the CPU really holds in back in more recent ones (and Just Cause 3, which I've just started playing again after 5 years..). I couldn't justify upgrading a PC just for gaming (especially as I don't have space for a desk), so that and my Macbook are making way for a new more powerful Laptop instead. 

 

A Lenovo Legion 5P is on its way from Curry's, effectively a 3700x and 2060 - looking forwards to arrival! I can finally try out RPCS3, Xenia etc on a multi-purpose device that I don't need to feel guilty for indulging in..

 

I've put a PS5 on the Christmas wishlist to fill the hole under the TV. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spatular said:

 

that pc will run any current pc game.

 

Well that's excellent news - I really wasn't sure at first.  I'm only really interested in the arcadey type games like fighters and shooters that will work well with the joysticks.

 

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

 

Oh wow, I just had a google. I bet that wasn't cheap. The screens look huge on those things! Fabulous!

So you can boot into windows and play regular pc games on that as well as mame, is that right?

I'd love to see blue revolver running on that thing! Will you post some pictures when you've got it all up and running?

 

Not that cheap no, but when you consider that one of the newer pinball tables costs around $8-10k then it's a bargain.  My machine will come with over a 1000 tables and with the ability to add about 1000 more.  The main playfield comes with a 43 inch vertical screen and the backglass is 32 inches.  A cool feature is that vertical MAME games will use the main screen and horizontal ones will use the back one.   Will definitely post pics when it arrives but here's roughly what it will look like:

 

image.thumb.png.7606c1c7a01257bcc3df72bd6ede7d58.png

 

1 hour ago, Siri said:

 

Yep. With that kind of processor, you should also find that emulating most consoles is pretty easy, so look into games that are compatible with RPCS3 and Teknoparrot as well if you're bothered with that sort of thing.

 

Never heard of Teknoparrot before so will have to check that out thanks.  I was definitely planning on buying another drive and adding all the emulators and roms including RPCs3.  My machine will come with Pinup Popper which is the front end that runs the pinball side of things and Hyperspin for MAME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I ended up building my first PC last weekend due to reading this thread when @skittles started it months ago. This is the first PC I've owned for around 15. It's taken me months  just to mull things over and read up and on different builds etc. Not to mention watching hours of JayzTwoCents and Linus. 

 

I do feel a little lost now that I've build it. Windows installed and updated, mobo bios updated, all drivers up to date. I've installed a few clients and still had stuff on Steam from 15 years ago waiting for me. The only thing I've run so far was Apex Legends (just the training) to try and get into using WASD. In my CS and CS Source days I used to use cursor keys over WASD which seems like some arthritic shit to me now. 

 

 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wv6hkX

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor 
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card  
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

 

1446714508_idiwaPCbuild-00002.thumb.jpg.72e6ec154813345fc0212d3997aede0d.jpg1676991451_idiwaPCbuild-00001.thumb.jpg.93441011acb6298c111125c49fbf5840.jpg1680151241_idiwaPCbuild-00003.thumb.jpg.4bdb185b109abe491730c2dd222f3dba.jpg505595410_idiwaPCbuild-00004.thumb.jpg.2c8d48a024c837b3aad0913a10442953.jpg

 

On 15/07/2020 at 15:57, skittles said:

At some point I'm going to have to ask the Pc dudes to tell me what I need to do next to optimise and monitor my PC. I don't even know how to check fps, temperature etc.

 

I have switched it on, downloaded all of these game clients and played 2 games so far. 

 

Pretty much this. I need to gen up on some basic understanding. Currently rocking a 1660 Super as a stop gap until I can easily pick up a 3070 FE card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Stevie said:

I just got a Samsung CF791 ultrawide curved...its going to take some time getting used to such a big screen :wacko: I'm sure games will look lovely in 3440x1440.

 

Been there, further and back. They do and you'll soon get used to it. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Len said:

 

Been there, further and back. They do and you'll soon get used to it. :)

 

Just fired up Stellaris and it was fantastic! I got one question if you dont mind...I played Prey and unless I put everything on medium I get a noticeable drop in fps (I got a RTX2060) What type of card do you need in order to enjoy games in 3440x1440 with high/ultra settings? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

 

Just fired up Stellaris and it was fantastic! I got one question if you dont mind...I played Prey and unless I put everything on medium I get a noticeable drop in fps (I got a RTX2060) What type of card do you need in order to enjoy games in 3440x1440 with high/ultra settings? 

 

Six 3090 cards should give you around 24-30 FPS if you turn things down to medium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Six 3090 cards should give you around 24-30 FPS if you turn things down to medium.


YEP

Can you define how much of a drop it was, Stevie, and what framerate you are looking for with those settings? Was it during a particular part of one scene or constant drops? Is it something you can quickly stick on an overlay like MSI afterburner and check that's not the CPU being choked (albeit doubtful for the era the game is from)? The sort of thing that would cause a drop can be anything from a shitload of shadows requiring a lot of ambient occlusion at once, a load of assets being cached, or even just plain old bad coding.

TBH, a 2060 should be fine at 1440p or a bit more at 60fps with a couple of key heavy-hitting settings dropped outside of any pre-defined quality preset (always slap AO and shadows to low before anything else, fellas) - I don't recall Prey being incredibly taxing on a 1070, although I did only play it for a very short amount of time. Otherwise, just stick in a 3070 and call it a day on anything Ultrawide 1440p, although I would say that's noticeably overkill for a game from 2017.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.