IGNORED

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

skittles

I went and dusted off my old PC and have successfully ruined my desk. Where do I pick up my mustard race t-shirt?

ScYuSak.jpg

I think I need to figure out how to get a desk clamp to work on my desk (most don't work on desks this thick), as the monitor is just enormous and totally dominates the desk.

Anyway, I've downloaded 18+ months of Windows updates, updated my drivers and am now installing flight simulator to bring my 3570 to its knees. 

3 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I quite like the design, too. But you've really got to think about the thermals. How well does it review in that department? That GPU doesn't look very happy in there...

I always refer to Hardware Canucks for ITX cases. If they say something's good, it's probably good.

They've said the NR200 is good.

Just now, Fallows said:

I quite like the design, too. But you've really got to think about the thermals. How well does it review in that department? That GPU doesn't look very happy in there...

See the vid above. The problem is that in the UK they're only selling the version with the plexi window, so you don't get the vented side, but the GPU faces the bottom of the case by default, anyway. To get it face the plexi, you have to use a PCI riser.

My current case is a BitFenix Prodigy. I think I got one of the first batch and it's bloody horrendous. USB side panel had a fault, the tolerances are awful - bits have never really fit correctly, and the rubberised plastic has turned funny and now fluff sticks to the case and no combination of solvents has successfully fixed that. It needs to go and the NR200 looks like the perfect replacement.

3 hours ago, layten said:

Logitech G903 has two buttons on each side which can be configured how you like, you can even blank them off if you like. It's my favourite mouse out of all I have used over the years.

I still haven't decided. Will wait till back off hols and maybe even black Friday to take the plunge. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I went and dusted off my old PC and have successfully ruined my desk. Where do I pick up my mustard race t-shirt?

ScYuSak.jpg

I think I need to figure out how to get a desk clamp to work on my desk (most don't work on desks this thick), as the monitor is just enormous and totally dominates the desk.

Anyway, I've downloaded 18+ months of Windows updates, updated my drivers and am now installing flight simulator to bring my 3570 to its knees. 

Ergotron are what I'm thinking off for a monitor arm (HX but there a smaller ones) if that's what you mean. Not cheap though as professional grade and for large monitors. Not sure I need it now after getting the new desk but we'll see. 

6 hours ago, layten said:

Logitech G903 has two buttons on each side which can be configured how you like, you can even blank them off if you like. It's my favourite mouse out of all I have used over the years.

Thanks for this. I have a dark core se that I’m quite happy with now but I’ll remember this for the future. 

I’d struggle to do without Qi charging on a mouse now going forward. 

14 minutes ago, Dudley said:

How often are your mice running out because I can remember to change a battery every 6 months and I use the computer A LOT.

I had a Logitech G700s which you were lucky to get 24 hours out of a single rechargeable AA if you turned up the sensitivity and sensor rate.

11 hours ago, layten said:

I had a Logitech G700s which you were lucky to get 24 hours out of a single rechargeable AA if you turned up the sensitivity and sensor rate.

Dear god that thing's probably laser mapped your entire neighbourhood.

Despite working in datacenter design and ordering vast quantities of servers, I've not owned my own PC for over ten years. I've been using VDI from my MBP, and purely gaming on consoles.  The 3080 announcement has tempted me back and I spent the entire weekend watching videos and reading articles to get back up to date.

Being a bit overly keen I ordered everything last night and it is arriving within the hour.  In my haste though I forgot to order a cheapo GPU to use until later in the month. Still super excited to put it all together while my colleagues are off for Labor day.

1 minute ago, hub2 said:

Newbie question, but is it usable without a GPU? Do gamer focused motherboards and CPUs have onboard graphics to at least allow you to boot into Windows?

These days, any integrated graphics is on the CPU. So, ultimately, it depends on the CPU - AMD CPUs usually don't unless it's an APU (G on the end), and Intel CPUs generally do with some exceptions (I can't remember how to identify which ones do not, however - I'd just look at the CPU's webpage on Intel's site).

9 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Newbie question, but is it usable without a GPU? Do gamer focused motherboards and CPUs have onboard graphics to at least allow you to boot into Windows?

I got the Ryzen 3700X that is mentioned a lot here, that is not usable without a GPU.

Finally got my new pc all set up today. Obvs looking forward to getting a modern GPU in it but the 970 I’ve borrowed is actually ok. Happily running FS2020 at 30+ FPS on medium settings, and I’ve had a nice evening playing Spiritfarer on Game Pass. Need to sort out the set up a bit to make sure it’s living room friendly, but I’m chuffed. Assembled and set up a PC from scratch!!

Now just got to hope I can actually get that 3080 in a reasonable timeframe. Holding off playing the shiny games until I can have my socks blown off

I've been trying games on my new PC too, using my 980Ti for now. My old PC was fairly capable, even with its old 3570K, but it's amazing to see how much of a difference a new CPU makes after all these years, not to mention the SSDs. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find that No Man's Sky syncs your save from the Xbox One version, as it's not listed as a Play Anywhere game. It also ran really smoothly at 1440p60 with some rather nice looking HDR, and the initial load was a lot faster than it was on the Xbox.

Then I tried Destiny 2, which was an absolute revelation. The current gen console versions look good and run well, but the loading times are abominable. Not on an NVME SSD though! It also runs like butter at 1440p with max settings, so I can't wait to crank that up to 4K with a 3080.

I was impressed to find that the Xbox One pad's headset passthrough works on PC too, although not over Bluetooth it seems. I switched to my old Xbox controller adapter instead though,  which works a treat.

Main win so far. Game downloads actually using all my bandwidth - really not missing PSN

Also loving the fact that £4 a month PC Game Pass has given me an enormous library of new games to play. 

Not loving the fact there’s a few glitches with the HDMI signal, and that I have to repair the switch pro controller every time I play. Bloody PCs

also not sure why the photo uploaded in the forum rotated all my photos

21E59929-A4E8-4640-A9D5-EE9513411009.jpeg

4 minutes ago, spanx said:

Given my switch pro controller irritations, I take it an XBox One controller Just Works (tm)

Yeah, and most suitable PC games are designed with it in mind as well.

HOWEVER. While it will work perfectly with your Bluetooth adapter, the headset port on the pad will not. I'm guessing that's not an issue if you'd have been happy with the Switch pad, but you'd need to buy an Xbox wireless adapter if you wanted to use it.

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

Careful with the Xbox One Controller, it can cause performance issues in some games. I now use a PS4 pad and DS4Windows instead.

Only ones I've had issues with are some of the older Assassin's Creed games - AC2 is a fucking nightmare to configure, and I subsequently gave up.

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

Careful with the Xbox One Controller, it can cause performance issues in some games. I now use a PS4 pad and DS4Windows instead.

Is DS4windows needed these days as the Steam client supports all console controllers?

21 minutes ago, Meers said:

Prey tell which games, oh mighty Thor?

The main one I recall was Dragon Age Inquisition. But there were other games, this was nearly a year ago now. 

8 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Only ones I've had issues with are some of the older Assassin's Creed games - AC2 is a fucking nightmare to configure, and I subsequently gave up.

It wasn't just configuration issues, simply using the Xbox One pad instead of M+K or another pad was causing framerate dips.

Just now, simms said:

Is DS4windows needed these days as the Steam client supports all console controllers?

Good question! Can I play all my games on my other services through the Steam client? I presently have Arkham Knight on the go, and to play that I have to go via the Epic store.