IGNORED

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

skittles

1 hour ago, simms said:

I've gone the prebuilt route myself.  To be fair I think it's worth doing your own build at list once so you have some idea how it's all pieced together so you have a chance to diagnose small issues yourself or perform upgrades in the future. I've already added a couple of components already to my prebuilt and my previous PC I built from scratch.

Oh yeah I've certainly done that, both for myself and in my old development job where it being a small company at the time you were greeted on day 1 by a pile of component boxes.

If you failed they never let you in the server room :D

13 hours ago, Gwangi said:

so..what are these colourful peripherals all about?  Do they make you play better or something?

Feels like i'm on a spaceship and I love it. You should see underneath the table. 5 RGB fans. :lol:

On 11/07/2020 at 00:40, Jamie John said:

It's this one here - AOC 32inch 75hz IPS. Build quality is perhaps not top of the range, but it's a good panel for the money.

Desk is this one from Amazon (although I didn't use the monitor shelf as it was too tall). Side table/cabinet is here, also from Amazon. I like the metal/wood look, so I'll probably get the TV unit in their range as well at some point.

On the basis of this of this post I decided to buy the same monitor, which arrived today. And it's big! I've come from a 27" 1080p screen, so the jump in size - let alone resolution - is impressive. It's the first time I've ever gone more than 1080p too, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much better my games look. Exciting!

13 minutes ago, Gabe said:

On the basis of this of this post I decided to buy the same monitor, which arrived today. And it's big! I've come from a 27" 1080p screen, so the jump in size - let alone resolution - is impressive. It's the first time I've ever gone more than 1080p too, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much better my games look. Exciting!

Good stuff - hope you enjoy it! Make sure you set the refresh rate to 75hz in the display settings, if you haven't done so already, as it defaults to 60.

41 minutes ago, Gwangi said:

So where’s the best place for buying games on the cheap?

Get Steam, search for literally everything you might want and add them to your wishlists.

Await emails, Steam will email you whenever any of them get discounts.

Humble Bundle. Epic Games Store - mainly for the free game(s) each week, but also because the last couple of sales they've done they've included a £10 off voucher that doesn't seem to run out for ages.

If you're happy to just 'buy' something and not worry about refunds, then CDKeys is great (and as far as I'm aware legitimate as a seller of keys? I think? Not sure, but I've never had an issue).

6 minutes ago, strider said:

Also it won’t be practical to put my new pc on my desk and my floor has carpet. What’s the best thing to rest it on?

I got this for my previous setup, before I had a shelf the PC could go on. It's supposed to be for monitors but did the job as a riser.

Failing that, a plank of wood will do if you just want something to put on the floor for it to go on top of so it's not on the carpet. B&Q and the like will cut a piece of MDF to a size you specify, then you can varnish it or what have you.

46 minutes ago, strider said:

Also it won’t be practical to put my new pc on my desk and my floor has carpet. What’s the best thing to rest it on?

I just use a small table. I cut the legs down a bit but there are many short enough already that'll keep it low, but off the ground. 

There's also more secure, wheeled stuff like this: 

PC trolley (amazon)

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

What are your favourite completely PC exclusive games? I.e. literally only available in any form on PC/Mac, so no Switch, Xbox or PS ports currently available.

That's a pretty short list because most good games that start off on PC get a console port eventually. Disco Elysium is supposed to be excellent and still PC exclusive, although a port is reportedly in the works. Apart from that, MOBA games like Dota 2 and RTS games like the Total War series are still exclusive to PC, though many of the best ones (like Civ) have been ported.

You'd be best off looking at lists of the highest-rated games on Steam and choosing from the indies that take your fancy, although you may want to avoid the virtual hentai novels, unless that's your thing...

On 12/07/2020 at 15:22, Siri said:

The new shittier cooler should only add about 6c on top of the original when at load though, and not flat out shutting down the entire machine - That smacks more of an unstable overclock or even GPU than anything else, especially if it's fine on desktop unti you start benchmarking (especially if all your benchmarking software is testing all parts of your machine - your PC falling over on Prime95 should confirm if it's strictly CPU). I didn't even bother overclocking across all cores on the 3000/Zen 2 series because PBO does enough dicking around with the voltage on its own. I'd go through the motherboard settings again just to make sure the only thing taking the wheel is PBO, and not the board trying to force some bullshit 'One-click OC' setting.

Cpu-z and prime95 both caused crashes, now anything that gets the cpu going is causing an issue. I’m replacing the PSU to see if that’s the issue. It’s a fairly old 850w Coolermaster PSU from my old system so I wonder if that’s failing. Replacement should arrive today. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

That's a pretty short list because most good games that start off on PC get a console port eventually. Disco Elysium is supposed to be excellent and still PC exclusive, although a port is reportedly in the works. Apart from that, MOBA games like Dota 2 and RTS games like the Total War series are still exclusive to PC, though many of the best ones (like Civ) have been ported.

Yep. Path of Exile was a PC exclusive game that I spent about 2,000 and six years playing before a console port finally became a thing. Consider it a timed exclusive!

In terms of games I've personally enjoyed that are PC Only, You'd either have to look at games that are considered legacy by today's standards (Diablo II,  Uplink), stuff that's right on the bleeding edge of indie titles that will probably get a port at some point (Dicey Dungeons, Gunfire Reborn, Hypnospace Outlaw), or indie games that didn't get that big and sort of fell through the cracks for one reason or another (BallisticNG, Blue Revolver, Yatagarasu).

Exclusives off the top of my head

Euro Truck simulator 2

American Truck simulator 

Noita

Plane sims - Ms flight simulators looking fantastic - Xplane

Train sims

Multitide of mods to breath new life into your fav console games

Zelda BOTW at 4K 60fps (except for one boss fight)

Vast back catalogue of early PC games - Witcher 1, Deux EX, 

VR - Alyx, Onward, Pavlov, Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgranades

Setting up now. I've created a new windows account. Does this mean I won't be able to connect my Xbox games as that's on a separate email account?

Also I've installed Steam but it keeps on refreshing for some reason. How do I stop that?

7 minutes ago, strider said:

Setting up now. I've created a new windows account. Does this mean I won't be able to connect my Xbox games as that's on a separate email account?

Also I've installed Steam but it keeps on refreshing for some reason. How do I stop that?

You can link an Xbox account with your microsoft account, even on separate emails.

1 hour ago, simms said:

Multitide of mods to breath new life into your fav console games

And this is a key point.  Something like Asetto Corsa is great on console.

But you don't have the 50 years of F1 cars running around that it's trivially easy to manage on PC.  There are literally hundreds of cars and tracks PC owners can just get free.

As for Steam 'refreshing' @strider, I'm not entirely sure, but when it comes to a new PC install you should probably let it ride out for a little while, and then restart the computer. Windows 10 is probably going to take the first couple of hours pulling all the software and driver updates it needs, as opposed to how PCs used to be a decade ago where you'd have to do that shit manually (with the exception of NVidia driver updates, which I'd argue breaks more shit than it fixes half the time).