IGNORED

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

skittles

20 minutes ago, Gwangi said:

I’m thinking of shifting over to PC because I want to play Baldurs Gate 3, Cyberpunk and Squadrons in the best way possible. Would that spec cover it?

I hope so :lol:

I don’t have a 4k monitor yet though, so probably not knowing my luck.

1 hour ago, Gwangi said:

I’m thinking of shifting over to PC because I want to play Baldurs Gate 3, Cyberpunk and Squadrons in the best way possible. Would that spec cover it?

It's pretty shit hot yes.

The only shortcuts scan are obviously taking there are slightly slower ram than the cpu could take advantage of and slightly limited storage.

I have an i9 9900k so unsure about the AMD chips and motherboards but I have a fairly decent Gigabyte Aorus motherboard with said chip and 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM. I OC the RAM to 3600mhz, have done for over a year. Whether I get any real world/in game benefit with this setup I don't really know but it does so very happily and increases my 3D Mark to over 14000 from 13700 so fuck it why not.

Can't you do the same with lower speed RAM with AMD setups, so OC your 3000/3200 to a more agreeable 3600mhz for the Ryzen chips?

I have been looking at a new pc for the last week or so, been tempted to try building one, but the price difference doesn't seem too different compared to the fear of me doing something wrong. 

My current pc is an old Alienware x51 r2... Didn't think I'd consider a new Alienware machine but I've got a 15% off coupon through work and suddenly the prices look pretty decent, so I may be going down the Aurora route 

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Do they still charge silly money for delivery?

I'm not being charged anything. I should think not spending that much.

My order does appear to be sitting in limbo though. It was due to be built on the 6th and it's still sitting around doing nothing. I had a problem when I first ordered it so I better find out what's going on. Most likely Covid delays.

Edit - Just gave them a phone. My dates were messed up and it's apparently being built tomorrow and being delivered next Tuesday. I should have booked an extra day off :P

8 minutes ago, Gwangi said:

So if I wanted to use VR when equipment would be best to pair with the setup that strider is using?  

It may depend on your budget and needs.  @strider specs should run any VR system comfortably.  If you want an option of having a wireless/standalone VR system then Oculus Quest would be the best and cheapest choice.  If you're not worried about wireless/standalone and want a VR system with slightly better specs then an Oculus S would be your choice.  If you want the best VR system on the market right now and budget isn't a concern then Valve Index is the best choice.

besides budget, comfort of fit of these systems maybe a factor so if you have the option to try on these headsets in the current climate.  Then try before buy.  There maybe aftermarket mods that can improve comfort.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

If it helps, the current estimate for mine is the 30th!

Sorry to hear that. It's rubbish waiting for stuff.

With regards to monitors will 1440p still do HDR?
I'm not massively fussed if it doesn't because my general findings with HDR is it's far better suited to movies that videogames, but it's something to consider when I do upgrade my monitor later in the year.

15 minutes ago, strider said:

Sorry to hear that. It's rubbish waiting for stuff.

With regards to monitors will 1440p still do HDR?
I'm not massively fussed if it doesn't because my general findings with HDR is it's far better suited to movies that videogames, but it's something to consider when I do upgrade my monitor later in the year.

HDR is unrelated to the monitor's resolution...   1440p and HDR monitors exist, it's not just restricted to 4K ones.  But the monitor obviously has to be specifically built to display HDR - and for whatever reason PC uptake of HDR screens has been quite slow, there arent that many about.   Whats the model of monitor you're looking at getting?

Edited by Valver
spellingz and making more damn sense!

1 minute ago, Valver said:

HDR is unrelated to the monitor's resolution...   The monitor has to be specifically built to display HDR - and for whatever reason PC uptake of HDR screens has been quite slow, there arent that many about.  Whats the model of monitor you're getting?

I don't have my eye on one at the mo to be honest.

PC monitor HDR is pretty far behind TV HDR. They've not too long ago introduced a bunch of standards for manufacturers to supposedly adhere to, HDR 400,500,600,1000 etc.

Those numbers are the supposed peak luminance but then you have the panel bit depth to consider and how the screen is lit. Despite Vesa plonking those stickers out to manufacturers it's still a minefield whether your monitor will offer a worthwhile HDR experience. 400 is pretty much pointless, although I have a 1440p 144hz HDR 400 monitor and it isn't as poor as I'd imagined, the extra colour gamut definitely gives a usable effect. It's complete shit compared to my TV mind.

So yeah if you want decent HDR the 400 and probably 500 are a swerve, best start at 600 minimum and try for a HDR 1000+ panel. Then look into how it is lit, FALD being best, edge lit worst and the panels bit depth is important. Despite what some people say, you can get a decent HDR experience with an 8bit+FRC panel (stay away from 6bit+FRC, it's a nonsense and is simply SDR) as long as the other elements are good, back lighting, panel luminance but a true 10bit panel will always be the one to have for the best HDR.

So best scenario for a good PC monitor HDR experience would be HDR 1000+, 10bit  FALD lit panel.

Decent would be an HDR 600 8bit+FRC FALD lit panel. 

Poor would be HDR 400/500 8bit+FRC edge lit panel.

My monitor has Gsync/120hz/4k/Dolby Vision - HLG- HDR10 HDR/ HDMI 2.1 - perfect blacks and even does TV stuff!  

Thanks LG for the C9 :D Best monitor I've ever owned and it isn't even a monitor

I was going to upgrade from my Q9FN to a 77"c9 as Gsync doesn't look to be ever coming to my set, despite what some Samsung owners claim. I didn't do it though because I run everything through an Atmos amp and the lack of eARC would mess up any benefit for me. Was gutted.

Definitely be updating to a 2.1 capable set in the new year though. 3080 and all that.

11 minutes ago, Gwangi said:

@strider did you adjust the build of the machine in some way as when I order it say it will be with me tomorrow!

Lucky! I didn't make any changes at all!

Even though it says it is in stock that was apparently referring to the parts, according to the person I spoke to last week.

t's all currently being built (it's on the memory test bit at the mo) and is being shipped Monday for Tuesday delivery.

It's possible that mine has slipped through the cracks as I ordered without being signed in to my account.

So did you go for the exact same system as me?

Are you saying we're effectively PC brothers now :hug:

25 minutes ago, Gwangi said:

I’ve not ordered yet...still contemplating...although I have signed up to gog etc.

Looking at it I don’t think the delivery date is realistic anyway.

It will definitely take around 2 weeks in that case.

The 2070 Super is a nice card, Strider. You're going to love it. Don't expect ray-tracing at 60fps unless the game has DLSS, though. Which, to be fair, is most things coming out now, and it's absolutely fucking magic in 2.0 form.

First time I've ever had a GPU where I can stick everything up to MAX EVERYTHING and my PC is like "eh, sure, no problem."

7 hours ago, Meh said:

The 2070 Super is a nice card, Strider. You're going to love it. Don't expect ray-tracing at 60fps unless the game has DLSS, though. Which, to be fair, is most things coming out now, and it's absolutely fucking magic in 2.0 form.

Yeah I'm getting quite excited about it turning up. I've been out of the PC game for ages (aside from playing MTG Arena) so loads of great games have already passed me by and I'm interested to see what they look like.

Play something that's 30fps on consoles...at 60fps, something like Sekiro. If you have Game Pass give Horizon 4 a try at 4k60 with all the trimmings on. Melt your eyeballs with DLSS enabled Control, ray traced up the yazoo.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Not that it's your core interest but you should also know a machine like that can do a decent punt at emulating just about everything up to and including the PS3.

And will run the games much better than the original hardware as well.

Spoiler

1221049635_NintendoonPC.thumb.jpg.953383fc29f996ffa800395ecaa60d0b.jpg

Yes, I do own the Wii U version of the game.

12 minutes ago, simms said:

It can be played at 60fps in Cemu I believe :wub:.  But I think some small bit maybe broken at 60fps, maybe fixed since.

It runs at about 80-100fps with the mods and enhancements I use. The only part of the game I had an issue with because of this was Thunderblight Gannon which glitches out. So I just did that fight at 30fps.