rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
robotattack

Pac-Man Championship Edition Demake

The ROM for the NES version of Pac-Man Championship Edition that appeared on the recently released Namco Museum Archives has been extracted and is "out there". It works on original hardware and MiSTer.

• Upvote 5

It's 'little' things like this that really elevate M2, their drive and ability to develop fully fledged, polished new titles for vintage hardware.

It kills me to know that they developed (probably near arcade perfect) ports of at least SEVEN Sega System 1/2 arcade games for the Mega Drive - only for them to be ultimately rejected by Sega. So while obscure curiosities like Spatter and Super Locomotive (two of the completed games) were never going to sell the Mega Drive Mini I'd have loved to have some kind of access to them.

• Upvote 1

I used to play Super Locomotive in an tiny arcade in Morecambe and recently learned there were only ever 35 machines worldwide. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

It's 'little' things like this that really elevate M2, their drive and ability to develop fully fledged, polished new titles for vintage hardware.

It kills me to know that they developed (probably near arcade perfect) ports of at least SEVEN Sega System 1/2 arcade games for the Mega Drive - only for them to be ultimately rejected by Sega. So while obscure curiosities like Spatter and Super Locomotive (two of the completed games) were never going to sell the Mega Drive Mini I'd have loved to have some kind of access to them.

What were the games and why were they rejected?

Hmm shouldn't we be buying this collection to support M2 continuing such endeavours rather than promoting the ROM being 'out there'. Seems counter-productive. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Camel said:

Hmm shouldn't we be buying this collection to support M2 continuing such endeavours rather than promoting the ROM being 'out there'. Seems counter-productive. 

I'm not dissuading you from buying the Collection, but you're not going to be able to run it on your NES.

25 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

What were the games and why were they rejected?

The CEO of M2 only let slip the identity of two of them - Spatter and Super Locomotive.

As a group of new Mega Drive games they were seen as lacking the impact of Starfox 2, inadequate ammunition to compete with the SNES Classic.

16 minutes ago, Camel said:

I agree but also find this discussion can be cyclical and difficult to have without referring to data that either doesn't exist or isn't public. I tend to err on the side of extracted content being more of a promotional tool than a killer of sales.

Starfox 2 was dumped and widely shared across social media before the SNES Classic even hit retail. I don't personally think this hurt its sales figures but..I have no data to back this up.

7 hours ago, dumpster said:

I used to play Super Locomotive in an tiny arcade in Morecambe and recently learned there were only ever 35 machines worldwide. 

I read about this too and how 35 units was a generous estimate. 

Super Locomotive might have been an expensive game to put out as well if it was indeed an authentic port; they'd have to do the right thing and officially license the cheeky cover of YMO's Rydeen the OG game uses.

3 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

I read about this too and how 35 units was a generous estimate. 

Super Locomotive might have been an expensive game to put out as well if it was indeed an authentic port; they'd have to do the right thing and officially license the cheeky cover of YMO's Rydeen the OG game uses.

Yes  funnily enough having never heard of the Yellow Magic Orchestra I was in Woolworths and picked up one of their albums on vinyl just because the cover looked interesting and it was in the sale. I was a bit blown away when I was listening to it for the first time realising, "wow, that's Super Locomotive!". I still have that album in the loft!

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, dumpster said:

Yes  funnily enough having never heard of the Yellow Magic Orchestra I was in Woolworths and picked up one of their albums on vinyl just because the cover looked interesting and it was in the sale. I was a bit blown away when I was listening to it for the first time realising, "wow, that's Super Locomotive!". I still have that album in the loft!

It’s not just Super Locomotive, it’s also borrowed for the Daley Thompson loading music on the C64!

If it was in Morecambe around 1982, then I would have likely played it as I went on holiday there every summer for about 4 years! 

There’s also an unofficial version of it on the C64 called Loco (which is great), written by Tony Crowther.

Who also managed to get a sort of sequel published twice as different names Through different publishers and only slightly different

Suicide Express

Black Thunder

He got a lot of mileage out of Super Locomotive!!

• Upvote 2

@gone fishin' cheers for those!  What an era that was , make a carbon copy of a Sega game, use Jean Michel Jarre's music wholesale and no-one sues.  Great days.

FYI anyone wanting to put their legally extracted rom from their purchased copy on to a Nes classic, you’ll be out of luck with the stock emu. The game uses mapper 19 so isn’t supported. 

Ok, I'll admit it. This could well be game of the year. I can't believe that this is potentially a piece of homebrew that got a makeover for a commercial release. The gameplay is absolutely perfect. The speed that Pac-Man gets to is exactly 1% on the wrong side of uncontrollable madness and the game benefits as a result. It takes everything that was great about the real Pac-Man championship edition and somehow how by cramming it onto a NES it's just more fun. So I challenge people to beat my score.

IMG_20200702_205520__01.jpg

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dumpster said:

@MagicalDrop it's the new Mr do.

All the cool guys are playing Mr Driller ;)

Only had a brief play, it's a great version. I played it a lot on XBLA a few years ago. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

OK getting into this now, 298,220. The chase is on ;)

Edit: 315,780

Innit good!!!

27 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Innit good!!!

Indeed it is, very clever. You've played the 360/PS3 versions too though? 

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

Indeed it is, very clever. You've played the 360/PS3 versions too though? 

Yes , I was 66th best at Pac Man Champ Ed 2 at one time.  I also really used to love something called Pac Man S which was on Facebook years ago, but they changed the scoring , spoiled it with an update then removed it completely. But there was a time when it was a really great timed game. Had it on iPad but even that doesn't work now.