rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

More Pirates of the Caribbean films? This time with Margot Robbie?

Last year it was reported that Ted Elliott (the writer of the first four POTC films) and Craig Mazin (the creator of the Chernobyl TV series) were going to develop a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie - presumably without Depp:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/chernobyl-creator-tackling-pirates-caribbean-reboot-1250029

And now we have the news that a separate POTC movie will be made, starring Margot Robbie and written by Christina Hodson (who wrote Birds of Prey, which I'd like to remind everyone was a good film :quote:):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/margot-robbie-christina-hodson-team-new-pirates-caribbean-movie-1298722

Birds of Prey is not a good film. I really like the first PotC, all the others are terrible. Margot Robbie is wasted flogging this particular dead horse.

• Upvote 4

I happen to think Birds of Prey is a good film as well. Made me want an egg sandwich. Anyhoo, do we really need another POTC film?

• Upvote 1

I never saw the fifth one (Dead Men Tell No Tales/Salazar's Revenge), but why dismiss the franchise as a dead horse, best left abandoned? It's not as if they've exhausted all the supernatural pirate stories it's possible to tell.

Yes, we've all had enough of Depp's schtick. But if he's not involved, there's no reason the series couldn't do a Mission: Impossible/Fast and the Furious, and get re-invigorated after several movies. Hodson has already done that once, with Bumblebee (which I didn't really like, but I can see why it was a breath of fresh air after the previous Transformers films).

Birds of Prey was just a pretty boring film, despite some very decent actors in it. You can see what they were going for, but it just seemed flat when it needed to be a bit manic. 

I thought the writing was good and all performances excellent. It did get bogged down by fairly leaden direction, you're right, although I'd lay a lot if blame at the feet of the edit. Another 2hr film that should have been a tight 90.

Robbie is (well, was. Who knows what'll happen now?) positioning herself as the woman who can get female-led action films made. A good niche to get in, but a perilous one. I hope she gets a good foothold. 

It's weird that she's following in Gena Davis's footsteps - trying to become a leading action star - when the film that trashed Davis' career was an overblown pirate movie, too...

6 minutes ago, Treble said:

It's weird that she's following in Gena Davis's footsteps - trying to become a leading action star - when the film that trashed Davis' career was an overblown pirate movie, too...

I recall rather liking that movie, but that was decades ago. :lol:

edit: I couldn't remember the name, so looked it up on imdb (Cutthroat Island) and then delved into the trivia:

Oliver Reed was originally cast as Mordechai Fingers. He was fired after getting in a bar fight and mooning at Geena Davis.

WTF, Oliver! :lol:

Love the POTC movies, even the later not so good ones. I feel like we don't have enough big adventure movies so I welcome more movies.

• Upvote 2

I liked Birds of Prey well enough as a fun though inessential couple of hours at the movies, and Margot Robbie is great so I'm interested in anything she puts her name to. Does Pirates work without Depp? Not sure - certainly the lead characters (ie. supposed to be Bloom and Knightley in the original) will need to be much less bland for a new one to work without the franchise's breakout selling point. It would be interesting to break down what makes the first film one work much better than the others. This is just me theorising from memory as it's been a while since I saw it, but is it because Depp was a live hand grenade chucked into the story as an agent of chaos rather then the lead? He was a supporting character who mayhemed up what would have otherwise been a straightforwardly fun romp, whereas from film 2 onwards he was the focal point which made it not work as well. 

Margot Robbie is a good actress but with Tank Girl, the Barbie film and now this, she seems a bit like Ryan Reynolds was a few years ago, having her name attached to numerous new "franchises" or appearing in films that are trying to be a franchise and failing. Maybe it's her agents, but It just seems a bit desperate to try and make her a bigger star (and make more money).

On 27/06/2020 at 17:42, Thor said:

I recall rather liking that movie, but that was decades ago. :lol:

edit: I couldn't remember the name, so looked it up on imdb (Cutthroat Island) and then delved into the trivia:

WTF, Oliver! :lol:

Pretty much an average day for Oliver Reed, if the stories are to be believed!

29 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Love the POTC movies, even the later not so good ones. I feel like we don't have enough big adventure movies so I welcome more movies.

You and me both. Proper guilty pleasures, for me. 

I have no issue with them doing a soft reboot by doing new stories within the univserse/high seas and moving away from Jack Sparrow.

• Upvote 1

Margot Robbie, I'm interested. 

The writer of BoP? Em....so I won't be disappointed if I expect it to be utter pish. 

12 hours ago, Eighthours said:

This is just me theorising from memory as it's been a while since I saw it, but is it because Depp was a live hand grenade chucked into the story as an agent of chaos rather then the lead? He was a supporting character who mayhemed up what would have otherwise been a straightforwardly fun romp, whereas from film 2 onwards he was the focal point which made it not work as well. 

Yep, this is pretty much it.

Also the plot across three films basically takes 8 hours to go from Point A to Point A.

The third film, at world's end, spends the majority of the movie with the characters trying to raise a pirate army to fight off the trading company in an epic battle that never actually happens...instead we watch the black pearl and the lead trading ship going round and round a whirlpool like two shit nuggets about to be flushed, whilst all the other ships just float about doing nothing. 

Anyway, no issues with Margot Robbie taking the lead, or it being a female heavy cast. I can't actually think of anything I've seen with her in, but I know she's well thought of.

I would rather shit a hedgehog than watch any more POTC, especially with Margot Robbie. What part of the Harley Quinn movie flopping so hard that it left a crater makes her a dead cert to revive a franchise that produced one mediocre film and hours and hours of self indulgent dross disguised as sequels?

Finding it massively depressing that a rllmuk conversation about Margot Robbie can only begin and end with Harley Quinn.

If you haven’t seen I, Tonya then hush your mouth, go watch that film and come back later.

I, Tonya is a superb film that so easily could have been a total disaster and yet it not only avoids the many, many pitfalls of making a film about ‘the bad guy’ (unlike American Animals which walks into them over and over like Sideshow Bob and garden rakes) but deals with it with panache and flair.

She appeared on the Kermode and Mayo film show to talk about it and gave the most insightful interview. She carefully explained the risks involved in making the film and the steps they took to deal with them.

She came across as incredibly talented and smart.

Definitely interested in her take on a pirate movie.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Finding it massively depressing that a rllmuk conversation about Margot Robbie can only begin and end with Harley Quinn.

If you haven’t seen I, Tonya then hush your mouth, go watch that film and come back later.

I, Tonya is a superb film that so easily could have been a total disaster and yet it not only avoids the many, many pitfalls of making a film about ‘the bad guy’ (unlike American Animals which walks into them over and over like Sideshow Bob and garden rakes) but deals with it with panache and flair.

She appeared on the Kermode and Mayo film show to talk about it and gave the most insightful interview. She carefully explained the risks involved in making the film and the steps they took to deal with them.

She came across as incredibly talented and smart.

Definitely interested in her take on a pirate movie.

That still doesn't make her a box office draw.

Every since i watched her on neighbours like 15 years ago, i thought she would become a big hollywood movie star. Her acting was leagues above many of the other actors on the show.

However, i feel she hasn't had the best roles - i was surprised about her being Harley Quinn because i kinda thought she was better than that. However, i thought she was great in the Birds of Prey movie and I feel that movie was bad timing, badley named and it was being smeared for being a all female movie.

I think POTC could be her big movie as I feel like she would do well in a role like that.

The last one took decent money (though quite a drop from what they're used to), so there's an audience out there. It just depends how much of that audience went to see Depp in particular.

I first saw her on Pan Am which no one else watched. There’s nothing wrong with doing another big franchise movie, you only have to look at actors in the MCU to see how actors with a reliably big payday every few years are able to do smaller films closer to their hearts thanks to the increased exposure and financial security those films provide. That’s assuming this isn’t met with the same hostile response that Ghostbusters 2016 was.

4 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Agreed. Neighbours is where the conversation should be at. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Agreed. Neighbours is where the conversation should be at. 

Donna :wub:

Not sure I've seen any PoTC films after whatever one had Captain Squidface in. I did like Birds of Prey though. 

I enjoyed BOP ft Harley Quinn but, more importantly, I know about half a dozen women who really liked it, and felt it spoke to them in ways that other comic blockbusters didn't.

It seems both savvy and timely to hand the reins of a franchise like this to a woman, and see what she does with it. I hope she doesn't just end up playing Jacqueline Sparrow though.

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

I first saw her on Pan Am which no one else watched.

I still think of her as "the blonde stewardess from Pan Am" sometimes, despite her massive subsequent success. Seeing her pop up is like spotting Alan Dale in Hollywood films.

17 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I still think of her as "the blonde stewardess from Pan Am" sometimes, despite her massive subsequent success. Seeing her pop up is like spotting Alan Dale in Hollywood films.

There was a time in the mid-noughties when it seemed like Alan Dale was in every single TV show being made. IT’S JIM ROBINSON AGAIN!