IGNORED

SI aquire the 'Football Manager' brand

davejm

Sports Interactive have aquired the Football Manager brand

that's quite odd if you ask me.

I was sure they'd just call their games, for example "CM 04-05" from now on (without spelling out "Championship Manager").

what's also odd is that the next champman game will be some utterly shite pretender churned out by Eidos to keep up appearances just because they still own the champman brand name.

I don't think it's odd at all... there's no way they could seriously develop the game under the name 'CM 04-05'. It goes without saying that CM is just an abbreviation... and one that's already being used to Eidos for their new game.

You're right though, it'll probably be crap(Eidos' game), although I hope not. Some decent competition will do SI no harm at all.

yep. which is why I think the CM name is a much better banker than "the new SI game". but as I said, I really do hope I'm wrong.

I think they made a very smart move under the circumstances (losing the name).

Football Manager is a better name. Does what it says on the tin. And it DOES have some recognition value for older players.

I thought CM was a total mass-market game. It sells shitloads doesn't it?

Kind of, yeah. I mean, it has a massive fanbase in the UK for the genre but although I'm not completely sure, I do think most are "fan" enough to of heard about this change.

Of course they can do that .  Even with a different publishers.  It's the truth isn't it?

yes, but I just can't think of an example right now. I'm sure someone else can...?

and couldn't they have FM in small letters/logo on the top of the front cover, and text at the bottom of it

from the people who brought you

[ size=colossal ]CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER[ /size ]

Football Manager 2005 feature list...

Updated user interface

Football Manager’s user interface will look markedly different to anything that has come before. Navigation between screens will be easier, with each screen explaining what information is on offer and how to get to other, related information. Consistency between separate game elements will also be more noticeable than in previous football management games: operations such as player filtering and sorting will now work consistently throughout the game. The game’s look – which now includes a two-panel option – will also be easily customised, allowing managers to store their preferred views and to return quickly to them.

Refined game engine

Sports Interactive’s long-standing and award-winning game engine has been refined and tuned in accordance with the feedback received from fans of its previous games. For example, Football Manager 2005 incorporates more than 30 extra fields for player data, including the all-new new ‘preferred moves’.

Updated database and competition rules

As has always been the case with Sports Interactive’s management simulations, Football Manager 2005’s database and competition simulation will be as up-to-date and accurate as is humanly possible.

Pre- and post-match information

Managers will be presented with enhanced information before and after each match, to show team line-ups, injuries and tactics before the match, and lots of stats about the match afterwards.

International player news

Managers will receive information on international performances, allowing them follow their players’ careers and ascertain how they are performing at the highest level.

Cup summary news

Events which unfold in each round of all of the major cup competitions will be delivered to the manager in a news summary.

2D clips from agents

Managers are likely to receive ‘video clips’ (executed using the game’s acclaimed 2D match engine) of a player’s performances, sent to them by that player’s agent with view to a possible transfer.

Coach reports on squads

In addition to commenting on individual players, coaches will now offer their opinions on the squad as a whole, thus helping managers to decide which areas of their team need improvement.

Job centre for non-playing positions

Non-playing jobs will be advertised through an in-game ‘Job Centre’, improving the manager’s ability to hire coaches and other staff.

Mutual contract termination

Managers will be able to offer surplus players an opportunity to agree mutual contract termination, which will reduce the cost of releasing players and trimming squads.

Enhanced player loan options

Managers can now approach other clubs to offer young players on loan, a process which will make it easier to give younger players competitive experience. Also, when players’ loan periods expire, the manager will have an opportunity to extend the loan (where appropriate).

Manager ‘mind games’

Managers can click on any other manager’s name and issue a comment to the media relating to that person. The effects of these comments will see an increase in the amount of pressure surrounding title races, relegation battles, Cup ties and so on. It will also be possible to use this feature in relation to your own players, other clubs, media pundits etc.

Further Features

• Playable leagues in 43 countries.

• More than 140 playable senior divisions and in excess of 100 playable cup competitions.

• Reserve and junior league competitions.

• More than 235,000 players and staff (from 145 different countries) with players boasting more than 120 separate attributes and non-playing staff boasting 40.

• A database of more than 14,000 clubs, 3,000 of which can be managed.

• Data supplied by a network of more than 2,500 researchers from around the world.

• Updated 2D ‘top-down’ match engine.

• Improved ‘radio commentary’.

• Increased interaction with the media.

• Reworked injury system.

• Improved scouting system.

• Improved finance module to reflect the changing face of football.

• Comments when negotiating with human managers (network multi-player game only).

• Inclusion of U18 Caps.

• More realistic awards system.

If they put Football Manager very small and Championship Manager very large then they could (rightly) be accused of passing off\trademark infringment. But there's nothing wrong with adding a tag line below the FM logo "From The Creators Of Championship Manager'.

It makes sense for SI to build the value of the FM brand from now on, but I think they are entitled to let people know that they made CM.

If they put Football Manager very small and Championship Manager very large then they could (rightly) be accused of passing off\trademark infringment. But there's nothing wrong with adding a tag line below the FM logo "From The Creators Of Championship Manager'.

It makes sense for SI to build the value of the FM brand from now on, but I think they are entitled to let people know that they made CM.

did Grabbed by the Ghoulies have 'from the creators of Banjo-Kazooie/GoldenEye/PerfectDark/BlastCorps/whatever' on it? genuine question.

as far as the law is concerned, MH was from the creators of THPS, and SOE was from the creators of GTA, but that's only because they own the rights - which SI now don't.

Also...

In conjunction with ESPNSoccernet.com, Gamesradar.com and the official Football Manager magazine, here’s your chance to really get involved with the development of Football Manager.

We need your help. We haven’t got a logo. We want you, the Sports Interactive community, to design our new logo for us. And we also want you to vote for the future winner.

We’ve offered up a prize fund of £10,000 for the winning entry.

as far as the law is concerned, MH was from the creators of THPS, and SOE was from the creators of GTA, but that's only because they own the rights - which SI now don't.

Well I don't know what all those initials stand for but I think you are wrong. You can't prevent people printing (true) information like that. So long as there is no attempt to pass off your product as something it isn't.

SEGA Europe Ltd and Sports Interactive, a leading developer of sports management computer games, today announced a partnership granting SEGA® the worldwide rights to publish all output from Sports Interactive for the next five years. The partnership marks a significant step for both companies' plans for worldwide growth.

Following Eastside Hockey Manager (working title) due to be released Summer 2004, Sports Interactive's next product with SEGA will be the latest incarnation of their highly-acclaimed football management technology. Maintaining the heritage and experience accumulated through 15 years of development as creators of the Championship Manager® series of multi-award winning and chart-topping games, the new game will be renamed as part of a fresh branding exercise as Football ManagerTM. Due for release Q4 2004, this year's edition entitled Football Manager 2005, will see numerous advancements in technology and gameplay, including new tactics, pre- and post-match analysis and other features designed to immerse players further into the game.

SEGA has rights to distribute Sports Interactive's games across all relevant territories using its global publishing operation. As SEGA grows its portfolio of products to match games offerings to market-specific tastes, the partnership with Sports Interactive will also see the UK developer's games spreading to a broader market than before, with additional sports being considered for future management games.

Naoya Tsurumi, President and COO, SEGA Europe Ltd, commented, "SEGA Europe's relationship with SI is a significant partnership for both companies. SEGA is looking forward to growing its base of market-specific products outside Japan, and signing one of the most important developers in the UK underlines our strong commitment to this."

"We are absolutely delighted to have signed a long-term deal with one of the biggest players in the global games business," added Miles Jacobson, Managing Director, Sports Interactive. "We're justifiably proud of what we've achieved with our previous games and business relationships, but we believe that this new agreement will take us to even higher levels. With both Football Manager 2005 and Eastside Hockey Manager due for release within a matter of months, we're confident that 2004 will be just the first of many successful years for Sports Interactive and SEGA."

Matthew Woodley, European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe Ltd, added, "We are delighted to extend our relationship with Sports Interactive. We're really excited to be working with them with one of the most important PC games ever and doubly excited to be able to help them achieve their goal of worldwide distribution. Football Manager 2005 is going to be a huge hit this year and something we're going to have a lot of fun working with."