Pokemon Unite (MOBA)

bradigor

People will get themselves all wound up about this, but Pokemon has been slapped on everything at this point.

In a world where we got a Pokemon/Nobunaga's Ambition crossover, it'd be weird if there wasn't a MOBA.

I'll play it (because it's free to start). I am loving all the salty tears from the "fans". I thrive on the entitlement of gamers and thinking they deserve more (the announcement trailer currently has 22k downvotes on Youtube).

19 hours ago, Gambit said:

I'll play it (because it's free to start). I am loving all the salty tears from the "fans". I thrive on the entitlement of gamers and thinking they deserve more (the announcement trailer currently has 22k downvotes on Youtube).

It's now Nintendo's most downvoted video in history apparently. I think a lot of it has to do with Tencent, the Internet really does just not like Tencent.

Yeah the Pokemon fanbase comes across as entitled and whiny a lot of the time, but I do sort of see where they're coming from. It's the highest grossing franchise in the world, but most of the actual games are low quality most of the time and are enjoyed in spite of themselves rather than because of any great money and talent being put into them.

2 hours ago, John0 said:

It's now Nintendo's most downvoted video in history apparently. I think a lot of it has to do with Tencent, the Internet really does just not like Tencent.

Yeah the Pokemon fanbase comes across as entitled and whiny a lot of the time, but I do sort of see where they're coming from. It's the highest grossing franchise in the world, but most of the actual games are low quality most of the time and are enjoyed in spite of themselves rather than because of any great money and talent being put into them.

"Low quality"?

39 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

"Low quality"?

Mainly going off my own experiences but it's also the general impression I've got form various games. I've got 500 hours Sword and Shield but I would not call it a high quality game. It's a very cool platform for competitive Pokemon, but the vast majority of the game is a pretty average (being kind) single player experience and does not ooze quality in any shape or form in terms of things like textures, animations - but also in an RPG design sense. There's barely any challenge all the way through and battles rarely play out in interesting or strategic ways. The latest DLC was even worse in terms of the story - about 2 hours of battles in which you one-shot everything, or massively simple 1v1 battles. Or run from point A to point B stuff.

Pokemon GO is (in my opinion) a very cool concept and I've played it for three+ years, but the actual quality of the game form a playability and design standpoint is utterly dire. The amount of shit that the player base have had to put up with from Niantic whilst the game made billions is/was horrendous. I haven't played any of the Mystery Dungeon stuff or much of the other offshoots - they might well be given more love, I don't know.

Look, I do understand why everyone sees the Pokemon community as largely a bunch of whiny entitled losers - and yeah, that's not inaccurate for the most part. But I do also have the experience of being frustrated by the games, so I can see where the feelings come from. Especially when you factor in the sheer amount of money Pokemon makes - I can understand it.

3 minutes ago, John0 said:

Semantics. I was going by this reddit thread. 

It's not semantics. It can't be the most downvoted Nintendo video if it isn't a Nintendo video. It's tainting Nintendo with a negative when it's not theirs.

EDIT: Youtube stats are all bollocks anyway. There's scripts you can fire at it to artificially inflate views/likes/dislikes. Also, they mention the Federation Force video as having fewer dislikes. Sure, but it also has 1m fewer views.

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

It's not semantics. It can't be the most downvoted Nintendo video if it isn't a Nintendo video. It's tainting Nintendo with a negative when it's not theirs.

True yeah. Alright, fair enough.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

EDIT: Youtube stats are all bollocks anyway. There's scripts you can fire at it to artificially inflate views/likes/dislikes. Also, they mention the Federation Force video as having fewer dislikes. Sure, but it also has 1m fewer views.

I agree but at the same time a hated official Pokemon video (which this is regardless of who publishes the video) reflects on Nintendo. Whether that actually matters in real terms is questionable. They've thrown the Pokemon brand at a lot of things and I suspect they're all at least effective enough to make some money, if not the boat loads they might want.

16 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I agree but at the same time a hated official Pokemon video (which this is regardless of who publishes the video) reflects on Nintendo. Whether that actually matters in real terms is questionable. They've thrown the Pokemon brand at a lot of things and I suspect they're all at least effective enough to make some money, if not the boat loads they might want.

Look at Sword and Shield. Reviled and hated by slack jawed fuck biscuits on the internet, sold fucking millions. When you're talking about a property like Pokémon having a massively down voted video makes no difference to the bottom line.

As an aside, do all the cunts pissing and moaning about off shoots have anything to say about the thousands and thousands of pieces of detritus that The Pokémon Company churn out in merchandise every year? Something about cheapening the brand?

Companies flog 'beloved' IP to death. They have done for years, they still will. It's not like they're suddenly going to stop making mainline series entries. If we look back in the thread I'd bet there's evidence of people getting their knickers in a twist about what Animal Crossing Pocket Camp meant for the next mainline Animal Crossing* and look how that turned out.

*I might have been one of those people. But then I'm a fucking idiot.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Look at Sword and Shield. Reviled and hated by slack jawed fuck biscuits on the internet, sold fucking millions. When you're talking about a property like Pokémon having a massively down voted video makes no difference to the bottom line.

Have you played it though? I have got over it and enjoyed it for what it is, but some of the criticism rings pretty true. Going through the single player game isn't really very dissimilar from playing Red/Blue. It's built on the same very tired, very lazy blueprint. When you compare it to what Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild for example, can you blame people wanting a little bit more? Especially because they sell millions.

As an aside, do all the cunts pissing and moaning about off shoots have anything to say about the thousands and thousands of pieces of detritus that The Pokémon Company churn out in merchandise every year? Something about cheapening the brand?

If you complain about 'x' why don't you complain about 'y'? C'mon. Not complaining in one regard doesn't invalidate criticism in another.

Companies flog 'beloved' IP to death. They have done for years, they still will. It's not like they're suddenly going to stop making mainline series entries. If we look back in the thread I'd bet there's evidence of people getting their knickers in a twist about what Animal Crossing Pocket Camp meant for the next mainline Animal Crossing* and look how that turned out.

"It's been like this for years though" is such a frustrating argument. Just because it's always been that way doesn't mean people shouldn't long for change and progress. If anything, it means they should more so.

At the end of the day, it's Pokemon. It's hard to even have a serious conversation about it without feeling like you're being ridiculous. It sure would be nice to play a really truly great Pokemon game though. And TPC are absolutely in a position to do this. They just... don't.

1 hour ago, John0 said:

Have you played it though? I have got over it and enjoyed it for what it is, but some of the criticism rings pretty true. Going through the single player game isn't really very dissimilar from playing Red/Blue. It's built on the same very tired, very lazy blueprint. When you compare it to what Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild for example, can you blame people wanting a little bit more? Especially because they sell millions.

If you complain about 'x' why don't you complain about 'y'? C'mon. Not complaining in one regard doesn't invalidate criticism in another.

"It's been like this for years though" is such a frustrating argument. Just because it's always been that way doesn't mean people shouldn't long for change and progress. If anything, it means they should more so.

At the end of the day, it's Pokemon. It's hard to even have a serious conversation about it without feeling like you're being ridiculous. It sure would be nice to play a really truly great Pokemon game though. And TPC are absolutely in a position to do this. They just... don't.

Longing for change and progress is usually synonymous with entitled dickheads screaming for things to be exactly the same as they were before, ironically. Look at what happened when they announced they were cutting shitloads of Pokemon. I'm not saying change doesn't need to and won't happen, what I'm saying is you can't expect that change to be as dramatic as BotW in the timeframe that they develop Pokemon games. They're the closest Nintendo gets to a yearly franchise. Before BotW was Tri Force Heroes, then before that Link Between Worlds on 3DS and you have to go back to 2011 to see the last Zelda game you could compare it to (Skyward Sword). That's 6 years to do some drastic changes.

It is such a frustrating argument, I agree. I don't play Pokemon really. I tried Moon and didn't really get on with it, I'm not the target demographic, And, to honest, I don't think you are either. Doesn't excuse blah blah blah, etc but there it is. As I understands it there's quite a few QOL changes in there and the games more about the end game raiding and grind. Incremental shit. All for the ultimate betterment, a la BotW eventually. Hopefully.

What I think bothers me the most  about the furore that surrounds anything like this that happens is that  people are incredibly selective about what they remember. Let's have a look at the Pokemon games that have been released:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_games

I can't actually find a copy-pasteable list but that link says there are 122 Pokemon games, prolly including Japanese exclusives like Green ike. Deviations from the mainline series are part and parcel and none of them are developed to the detriment of the main series. Whatever that has wrong or right is something they need to address internally, not because they're doing spin offs. And that's the other part of what boils my piss, I don't even have a fucking investment in this series or particularly Nintendo, I just have investment in people not acting like utter dickrags. That's what irks me the most, the irrationality of it all.

Anyway, I may have got off point. Sorry. But yeah, there be lots of Pokemans games, yo.

• 1 year later...

Assuming nobody else has played this yet? I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would, maybe because it does a good job with the tutorials. I didn't feel quite as uselessly overwhelmed as I did when I tried LoL and DOTA, which helps massively.

At the moment I imagine most of my team-mates and opponents are kids just bashing buttons, but I did get into a match where the other team totally dominated us. I was MVP of our team, still, suggesting that the other 4 were beyond terrible ... In my 1st game I scored more than half of our team's points. This tells me that the good players are all in ranked or quick, and that random battles will actually be a useful training ground.

I've now played enough to buy a new licence, having started off with Charizard. Slowbro and Alolan Ninetales were given to me, and Zeraora is free at the moment, but now I simply don't know what to get. Did a practice with Snorlax, which seems a bit overpowered, but I kinda want Mr. Mime because his gold magician suit looks utterly incredible! Crustle, Greninja, and Cinderace are coming my way through login bonuses, and the buzz is that Crustle is broken. At least, according to my friend who raved about it.

It's free, guys. Might as well take a look at it. Let internet idiots argue their pointless battles, and just have a bit of fun. I, for one, am very pleasantly surprised, and I say this as one who has bounced hard off all the other MOBAs I tried.

I've played the tutorial with the intention of getting into it but I just...haven't.

Same here. It seems both way too complicated and way too simplistic at the same time.

I do enjoy this - having never, ever played a MOBA before - but I do  wonder what I'm missing to be so low scoring all the time. I get quite a few kills each game but my focus is scoring goals. However I usually hover right in middle of the scoreboard in the end.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Same here. It seems both way too complicated and way too simplistic at the same time.

Do the 4 additional tutorials that aren't made obvious, you'll get a better understanding of everything. But the real way to learn is just to mess around in practice, because it doesn't tell you about a couple of the mechanics you'll make use of.

On 24/07/2021 at 23:07, friedgold said:

I do enjoy this - having never, ever played a MOBA before - but I do  wonder what I'm missing to be so low scoring all the time. I get quite a few kills each game but my focus is scoring goals. However I usually hover right in middle of the scoreboard in the end.

I think, in my experience, you need to have a good mix of everything rather than just scoring, or just getting kills etc.

I actually think I really like this. It started off seeming quite basic but it's got a decent level of depth to it, and when you start making builds with the held items and you learn about the extra stuff on the map to gain buffs for your team etc it all kinda clicks in a way I wasn't expecting. Weirdly Pokémon just seems like a great fit for a casual MOBA.

I hope it has a decent player base because there's so much they could add to it, but the existing Pokémon are all already a pretty nice selection with them all feeling quite different to play as and having different skill synergies etc. I'm mostly playing as Alolan Ninetails and having a great time. Actually considering the Battle Pass!