Foundation - Apple TV+

Timbuktu

I wasn’t entirely convinced in the beginning, but found myself really enjoying this series as it went on. Final episode had a perfect feeling of being both expansive and claustrophobic 

Spoiler

Day reacted as I had hoped he would, with a much needed new perspective and desire for change, but of course that would not be tolerated. Demerzel’s murder of Dawn was shocking, despite her repeatedly stating over the series that her allegiance was to Cleon. All she has ever done is obey and it’s still cost her everything. 

Day’s quivering smile, lapsing into rage as he smashes open the case of the first Cleon was probably the most affecting moment of the series for me. All of his touchstones are gone, and I absolutely felt that moment of elation before it plunged into loss, anger, and a huge dose of fear. 

On 15/10/2021 at 19:41, Protocol Penguin said:

I’m out. Too bloated and slow and self-important; blatantly wants to be Space Game of Thrones, and has the similar problem of having too big a gulf between the competent and cringeworthy actors.

Came back to it and finished the series, and on balance that was a good thing as it did get better, but that was mostly the Empire bits. And to extend my earlier Space GoT analogy, at times it was like going from the quality of prime seasons 2-4  GoT to seasons 7 and 8 level GoT within the confines of a single episode.

Overall this was a bit of a flop. It looked amazing and Lee Pace is always good but it felt like it had been written by someone who learnt their trade on Hollyoaks. I’d be amazed if Apple bankroll this for 8 seasons unless they get new people in to write / run the show. 

I really enjoyed the whole series. As others have said in this thread, the Empire stuff did feel like it was a cut above the other storylines,

Spoiler

but I'm hopeful the time jump is going to make the outer reach stuff a lot more interesting next season.

I do worry that Hari's role might be relegated to him occasionally emerging from the Vault with a twinkle in his eye and saying "Ah but you see, the real constant in the universe is the speed of friendship!". However the arrogant way he referred to his mind as 'exceptional', and the suggestion that his new state of existence might eventually have a negative effect him, is maybe a hint that he might not be completely a force for good in future series, which could be really interesting.

I hope it gets at least a few more series to become a real epic.

season 1 has mainly felt like it's been setting the whole thing up - come the 2nd season, we'll have am Empire with a few generations of imperfections, I'd love to see what happens there... and I imagine the outer reach will be ready for their war.

Lee Pace displaying Joffrey levels of evil in that episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished this.

The Great: Lee Pace. Every, single, scene. Especially the Jesus of Nazareth episode, and Ep 10. Let’s just only follow whatever mutated version of Brother Day we get in the next series please.

The Good: Demurzel. Spaceships. Long-necked-hyperspace-women.

The Okay: Other stuff on Trantor. The other Empires and their story lines. Jared Harris. Gaal and Raych stuff.

The Meh: Everything and everyone on Terminus.

The Shite: The bloke playing Hugo, and the utter absence of chemistry with Salvor.

Here for season 2, but it needs to pick its game up a lot.

The extreme brutality of the way Empire put down the plot against him, and the omnipresent grip they seem to have over everyone and everything in that empire, makes it quite hard to believe the plot could have penetrated quite so deeply, and in the particular way it did. 

But other than that I thought it was great. Everything on Trantor was AAA blockbuster material - everything on Terminus was sub Sci-fi channel, but it was always very watchable. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/11/2021 at 09:05, vezna said:

it felt like it had been written by someone who learnt their trade on Hollyoaks

If they had, it would have been approximately a thousand times more watchable. The Hollyoaks writers know how to make a story move, and they don’t mess about.

Just finished this. Overall I think it's a really good series. It takes its time and at least credits the audience with having some patience. It looks spectacular and it's honestly worth watching for that alone, as it achieves some real visual poetry at times. And Lee Pace is mesmerising.

• 7 months later...

Finished this earlier this week.

I thought it started great and gradually got worse as it spent more and more time with the Salvor and Gaal characters, who I found to be the weakest links. I read that the creator intentionally added some of this more "human" and emotive stuff because he didn't have confidence that the audience would stay with a relatively grand and dry show about intergalactic politics and a machine learning model. Quite the opposite for me, flitting between brilliance and then two people doing angsty Star Trek Discovery emoting soured it all a bit. The script even let down Harris eventually as he became the...

Spoiler

grand exposition robot

Spoiler

They even started saying it out loud at the end:

*cry face* "I thought I was special moooooooooooom, the chosen super hero" *cry face*

*mysterious angsty routine* "I must abandon everybody I know who relies on me and go and find..... MY MOTHER" *angsty face*

Get out.

It pains me how dull the bits with Gaal and Salvor were. It would be totally tone deaf to make a show now which is dominated by big white man energy,  but equally you cannot cast two such absolute powerhouse, charismatic actors as Lee Pace and Jared Harris and not balance that with excellent casting and writing for the Terminus and Gaal-in-space stuff.  Tbf, I don’t think the actors playing Gaal and Salvor are bad at acting by any means - they certainly seemed good at first, but were dragged down by leaden plots and C-grade writing (that guy who plays Hugo though - hoooweeee, stinker!). It’s really like two different shows stitched together. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally watched this.  It looked amazing.  The Empire story was really the only thing beyond the visuals that held my interest.  The actual Foundation story is terrible after the first episode.  The emotional state of the characters usually ends up feeling hollow.  The world building, which is something the books give them a free boost with, is just broken. The new vault is stupid idea, in the context of who the Foundation is supposed to consist of.

The voiceover is truly dire and try hard. I'd expect nothing less from the mind that bought us the line 'cock juggling thunder cunt'.

I will hate watch season 2.