Jump to content

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: Remastered


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Oooh, we're going to get the old band back together with this :) I see some familiar names from back in 2010 here already, and would like to add @U-1 @Karzee  @bradigor @Sie @moosegrinder @Corleth the Fey @Dave White @cohen205 @HeyMykie @Dimahoo @ThaForce @KriessG @multi @wev @FuntimeDave @K @Parappa and many others!

 

The original 2010 release is, in my opinion, the best thing Criterion Games has ever put out. And chance to play the online modes again...? Sign me up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone looked at the original, and on planning the remaster, wondered to themselves, what is it that the people want from a racing game?

 

60fps on the base PS4?

 

Or would they prefer more accurate shadows, improved lighting effects and a longer draw distance on a game that everybody considered to be nigh-on perfect anyway?  

 

I'm sorry, how on earth is a remaster of a PlayStation 3 game running at anything other than 60 frames per second? Isn't that the whole point? The graphics on this game were great anyway, it doesn't need extra shadows. 

 

The PC version is 60fps on my old hunk of 2012 tech. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Oooh, we're going to get the old band back together with this :) I see some familiar names from back in 2010 here already, and would like to add @U-1 @Karzee  @bradigor @Sie @moosegrinder @Corleth the Fey @Dave White @cohen205 @HeyMykie @Dimahoo @ThaForce @KriessG @multi @wev @FuntimeDave @K @Parappa and many others!

 

I'm so there! 

 

Some of my fondest online memories :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot pursuit is my fave. Just pure arcade racing. Select a track and get onto it.

 

Also multiplayer is easy to get started. Only thing with the old game was if one of you had a more powerful car then the game gets very unbalanced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Was this a good need for speed, then? I've not played one since underground, which I loved. I was under the impression that they were all universally terrible after that. 

 

It's more like Burnout Paradise 2: Cops n Robbers

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Was this a good need for speed, then? I've not played one since underground, which I loved. I was under the impression that they were all universally terrible after that. 

It’s way beyond good, it’s bloody brilliant. None (or any that left it’s mark with me) of the cringeworthy cheesiness (in my mind) rubbish that clutters up so many racers, it’s got great handling, is blisteringly fast and there’s loads terrifically close racing to be had. Quite possibly my favourite racer it ticked all the boxes for me :)
 

Xbox version for me guys, please add me :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah man I'm so excited for this. It's my favourite racer ever, one of my favourite games. To the point where I offered to buy it for any of my mates that wanted to play multi once it hit backwards compatibility on Xbox One. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that if they take me up on that it's going to cost me about £400 in a new console year, so if I could be added to the online shenanigans here that'd work too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remind me, is there ever a moment where you’re not accelerating as hard as you can? I’m trying to work out if I care about the Switch not having analogue triggers for this. On the other hand PC for 60fps should probably be my decision but it’s be nice to have this on the portable option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Will the Series X run this at 4K/60, I wonder?

I’d be surprised if it’s not capable of doing it though I guess whether the developers make it that way is another thing. TBH I’d say that seeing as things move so fast (x years on I half wonder how my aging brain, eyes and reactions will deal with this!!) the fidelity of it won’t be as important as the frame rate so given the choice of 4K 30 or 1080p 60 I think I’d likely go for the latter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, womble9 said:

I’d be surprised if it’s not capable of doing it though I guess whether the developers make it that way is another thing. TBH I’d say that seeing as things move so fast (x years on I half wonder how my aging brain, eyes and reactions will deal with this!!) the fidelity of it won’t be as important as the frame rate so given the choice of 4K 30 or 1080p 60 I think I’d likely go for the latter. 

Just watched a preview video on YouTube and the guy said its 4K/30 or 1080P/60 on the One X and PS4 Pro. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2020 at 14:29, Revival said:

Arguably the best racing game of last gen: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) is getting the remastered treatment for PC, Switch, PS4 and Xbox this year.

I couldn't work out what the hell was going on here, because Hot Pursuit was one of the first titles I had that supported 3dfx. But a quick trip to wiki reveals that was Need for Speed III Hot Pursuit from 1998. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteveH said:

Just watched a preview video on YouTube and the guy said its 4K/30 or 1080P/60 on the Series X and PS4 Pro. 

 

Do you mean One X? Because the Microsoft naming conventions are in no way confusing at all, guv'nor gor blimey yuss etc

 

7 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I couldn't work out what the hell was going on here, because Hot Pursuit was one of the first titles I had that supported 3dfx. But a quick trip to wiki reveals that was Need for Speed III Hot Pursuit from 1998. 

Dude. I mean...dude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

Do you mean One X? Because the Microsoft naming conventions are in no way confusing at all, guv'nor gor blimey yuss etc

 

Dude. I mean...dude.

Blimey! Oops yes meant One X :blush:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing a lot of love for this game here, and rightfully so. It was amazing. But when we tried to get a game going as bunch of us, we found it broken as fuck. People kept getting booted out all over the place, rendering the thing pretty useless. We tried on a number of occasions, but maybe we abandoned it too soon? Did it get patched into working? 

 

Great news that it's getting another release, though. That era had some sweet racers, and we still spend the odd evening on Split/Second. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant think of any other racer that has blended the slightly surreal action of a car chase in the spike traps, road blocks, helicopters, etc. with the thrilling sense of speed and handling that Hot Pursuit captured all those years ago. Having this running on the PS5 is a no brainer for me and in the absence of any other racer around the launch date this really has filled a gap. Someone very clever was behind the decision to give this the shiny treatment and release alongside the new consoles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice interview with devs from Criterion and Stellar here:

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-05-fast-cars-big-bums-and-other-secrets-behind-one-of-the-best-need-for-speed-games-yet

 

Interesting that they stress how sophisticated a simulation the game was in terms of the driving engine, even if the end result is quite arcade-like - the handling model feels very nuanced, even if you're pulling off a preposterous fantasy drift at 190mph.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that Eurogamer interview is a brilliant read , I didn't realise that when they said simulation it was that accurately, er, simulated, down to a discrepancy in a couple of millimetres width of the wheels that massively affected other aspects of the driving model. Absolutely crazy attention to detail, just to be able to create that kind of accurate simulation in the first place, and then to troubleshoot such a granular detail. For a videogame. All you think about when you're playing the game is the chopper overhead, the insane speed, flinging your backend around a hairpin, but there's so much going on to make that feel the way it does, it's really incredible the lengths they go to. With Virtua Racing and Wipeout 2097 this is up there with my favourite racers. Just endlessly playable timeless classics.

 

Gonna wait for my Series X to grab this, I reckon. Looking forward to it more than anything else on the horizon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good read. I suspect the wheel diameter story is exaggerated, as an SLR's tires are about 300mm wide, so 2mm would be just over half of one percent. Would you really notice if your tires were 0.6% too small, even in a real car? Seems unlikely, but then again, I'm not a racing driver or an expert in vehicular dynamics, so what do I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, K said:

It's a good read. I suspect the wheel diameter story is exaggerated, as an SLR's tires are about 300mm wide, so 2mm would be just over half of one percent. Would you really notice if your tires were 0.6% too small, even in a real car? Seems unlikely, but then again, I'm not a racing driver or an expert in vehicular dynamics, so what do I know.

 

It's a good interview but I thought the same at that bit. Reminded of stuff like Molyneux talking about Black & White and how they left the AI slider up too high and found that a villager had become self-aware and started its own religion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MardiganX said:

I’ve watched that trailer 5 times now. I will probably watch it 10 times more before release. Can’t fucking wait for this!!

Best trailer for a long time. Sadly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.