IGNORED

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: Remastered

Revival

It's a PS4/XB1 game that the PS5/Series X|S is running better through brute force rather than a game that's being built to take advantage of them.

The Xbox One version of the game is going to be coded towards the fixed specs of the different models. The Series S has a lesser memory setup than the One X, so can't run the One X version.

There's obviously some sort of issue with that part of the track that brute forcing wasn't able to fix on the Xbox side. The PS5 seems to do better at this kinda thing, because the PS4 Pro versions usually target lower/dynamic resolutions more often versus the One X versions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Price has dropped again. For anyone that has this on PS4 for PS5 with the new update, is this still installed as a PS4 game? I don't think I have the storage left to install another PS4 game that takes up double the space on the SSD

Yeah, it's still a PS4 game. The update patch unlocked the frame rate so it's pretty much 60fps on Pro as well.

Which is good as the Series S is still locked to 30.

48 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Yeah, it's still a PS4 game. The update patch unlocked the frame rate so it's pretty much 60fps on Pro as well.

Thanks. What sort of space does it take up on the PS5?

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

I’m fairly sure the series x is still 30 as well, I downloaded the trial and it felt horrible. 

Still sitting on my hands about giving this a go. It feels like duty, a dying breed, an arcade racer, so I should be in. 

What puts me off are the environments. In all the videos I've seen it looks...boring. It looks like the same faceless Americana outback that has been done to death in racers.

• 1 month later...

Went back to this after dropping it pretty quickly.

Dropped it again and deleted.

Don't remember there being so many missions where you're against the clock having to complete a time trial but - plot twist - you get penalised for every collision with other cars or the trackside. That's the complete opposite of what made Burnout fun. This game is hard and even with perfect runs I'm barely scraping a pass, meaning I have to memorise the track and/or get brickwalled in a quit/restart loop if a random civvie car decides to get in my way and ruin my run. Right at the start of the game they're giving you high performance cars and asking you to complete a perfect, collision free time trial in them.

Just a real shame that all the good stuff is locked behind these punitive and frustrating missions. I wanted to peel my own skin off last night due to the sheer fucking frustration of it.

I did eventually unlock a cop chase mission but it's the one where the getaway car randomly U-turns and EMPs you. Quit>delete.

On 28/05/2021 at 12:18, Uncle Nasty said:

Went back to this after dropping it pretty quickly.

Dropped it again and deleted.

Don't remember there being so many missions where you're against the clock having to complete a time trial but - plot twist - you get penalised for every collision with other cars or the trackside. That's the complete opposite of what made Burnout fun. This game is hard and even with perfect runs I'm barely scraping a pass, meaning I have to memorise the track and/or get brickwalled in a quit/restart loop if a random civvie car decides to get in my way and ruin my run. Right at the start of the game they're giving you high performance cars and asking you to complete a perfect, collision free time trial in them.

Just a real shame that all the good stuff is locked behind these punitive and frustrating missions. I wanted to peel my own skin off last night due to the sheer fucking frustration of it.

I did eventually unlock a cop chase mission but it's the one where the getaway car randomly U-turns and EMPs you. Quit>delete.

Totally agree with this.  The amount of stuff that you can unlock is spoiled by how bleeding difficult it is. Perfect runs are needed to get a gold and it seems you have to be absolutely perfect to get them.  

Having said that, I thought (probably assumed) that all your failed runs are still earning you points that unlock faster cars, meaning you can brute force it, earning faster cars then beating the runs you couldn't do earlier.  But after a lot of play I'm still not sure if that's right as I still have loads of the game locked away.

Having said that (too) I was wondering, if you play it on a PS5 and set the frame rate to 60fps does that also equate to the control being twice as responsive? Because one criticism I have of that when you see a car coming towards you it seems impossible to dodge out of the way.  You either understeer and hit it, or massively oversteer and hit the walls.  Burnout 2 runs at 60fps and feels much more responsive.  Does the 60fps make it feel more controllable or do things not work that way?

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Having said that, I thought (probably assumed) that all your failed runs are still earning you points that unlock faster cars, meaning you can brute force it, earning faster cars then beating the runs you couldn't do earlier.  But after a lot of play I'm still not sure if that's right as I still have loads of the game locked away.

Some of the races force you to use a particular car, so your unlocked cars aren't available. I think the unlockable cars are for the chase missions more than the time trials.

I get that they wanted to add variety to the structure of the game but the time trails are brutal. So unforgiving and with the random element of civvie traffic a decent run can get totalled on the last bend.

Not sure about the 60fps options, I just ran it with the defaults on Series X.

Cheers, that's interesting and without really thinking about it at the time your post nails exactly my subconscious thoughts about why I hammered it for a few nights and then gave up. I've hit so many courses I just can't do, especially the ones that involve the cops dropping stingers and helicopters, they seem too random to get skilled at.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Playing this on Series X now and it's transformed by the fantastic frame rate and graphical polish.  Seems a tad more responsive on the controller too.

Indeed the remastered version is nice. Makes a great game even better!

11 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed the remastered version is nice. Makes a great game even better!

Yep I’ve just started this on PS5, it’s lovely. Drifting round bends and adjusting your line by easing off or using nitro to miss an oncoming car feels great, so smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

I somehow missed this during the PS360 generation, despite racing games being my favourite genre. Snapped up the remastered version as soon as the 4K/60 PS5 update was released earlier in the year and couldn't stop playing - what a great game that barely looks dated and still plays brilliantly. I couldn't recommend it more.

This race around the map towards the end of the campaign was such a treat :wub:

Got lucky at the end there.  Would have been gutting to have done that whole race and only managed second.

I've just started playing this myself.  It's absolutely lovely, apart from the really sluggish menus in-game (PS5).  When I want to restart a race I don't want to have to wait for the menu to finish loading before I press down and X (and then up and X again to confirm).  I usually end up resuming the game by mistake, which annoys the shit out of me for some reason.

Edit: Didn't Autolog used to have a companion website as well, when this originally came out?  I'm sure I remember uploading a custom avatar and stuff, which would appear in the game in multiplayer mode.  That was ace.  I was Burt Reynolds, of course.

The NFS series is a bit of a blind spot for me and there seems to be so many with similar names. Is this the one in the PSN sale at the moment and the good one Criterion made that everyone was excited about being remastered?

I’m in the mood for some arcade racing.

• 2 months later...