rllmuk
Dirty Harry Potter

“SPOILER THREAD” - The Last Of Us Part 2

2 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I don't know if I've missed something here or it's just not seen as being a particularly egregious narrative slip.

That's nothing, Tommy made it back to Jackson with an arrow to the knee and half his face blown off. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Nice post @Robo_1. I'd be interested to hear which sections you thought were difficulty spikes; the only part I got frustrated by, playing on hard, was the rat king and his instakills, although I think a lot of this was from not being able to see where to go more than anything else.

• Upvote 1

Also, when Dog the Human Hunter refers to making it to Abby he is referring to the fact that he thinks she is infected from the second bite :)

• Upvote 4

By far the biggest difficulty spike for me was when you have to fight off wave after wave of zombies as Abby with your fists at night in the forest. I think I must have died about 10-15 times on hard difficulty.

Second biggest one was probably the first part of the Hillcrest escape. Up to that point I had methodically cleared all areas of enemies before moving on but there were so many humans and dogs in this section it was proving to be a nightmare. I eventually realised you're really just meant to try to keep moving through that section rather than clear it all out.

"We let you live. And you wasted it!"

NG+ Ellie's Seattle Adventure done with all collectibles.

Abby side starts tomorrow.

200.gif

:wub: this game!!

• Upvote 4

Played the first game and loved it but sold my PS4 a few years back and moved over to Xbox. I bought a PS4 Pro a few days before release of part 2, simply so I could play the sequel

I know full well the PS5 is coming and that I’ll probably not use the console again once I’ve had another run through or two of this game but if somehow the lord gave me a second chance at that moment...I would do it all over again

Worth every penny

• Upvote 9

I've just watched the gameplay reveal from E3 in 2018 again. It's the bit from the first time you meet the Scars as Ellie:

It's interesting to see which parts are representative of the gameplay in the actual game and what has clearly been added later. To be fair, a lot of the stuff that happens in this footage you can do in the actual game, but there's definitely little bits here and there that are scripted: towards the end, one of the enemies dropping her quiver of bows, for example, and then Ellie picking them up in a bunch, and then the way she takes down the big guy with the hammer - you can't really do that stuff in the game, although it does come pretty damn close. I remember thinking at the time when this trailer was first shown 'This can't be real gameplay', although the majority of it is.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've just watched the gameplay reveal from E3 in 2018 again. It's the bit from the first time you meet the Scars as Ellie:

It's interesting to see which parts are representative of the gameplay in the actual game and what has clearly been added later. To be fair, a lot of the stuff that happens in this footage you can do in the actual game, but there's definitely little bits here and there that are scripted: towards the end, one of the enemies dropping her quiver of bows, for example, and then Ellie picking them up in a bunch, and then the way she takes down the big guy with the hammer - you can't really do that stuff in the game, although it does come pretty damn close. I remember thinking at the time when this trailer was first shown 'This can't be real gameplay', although the majority of it is.

I went back to check this as well, while it's obviously highly choreographed it's pretty close to the actual game until they get into the store. The interactions between sledgehammer guy and the environment are far too slick though, I remember thinking at the time it seemed too good to be true, and it was. The graphical fidelity wasn't exaggerated though.

It's a brilliant game.  It made me wonder if I'd burned enough people, and especially dogs, during my playthough.

Maybe it's just my memory, but the second game didn't have anything as personally threatening as that confrontation in the snow where I genuinely thought Ellie was going to get raped then murdered.  But the overall dread and that soundtrack made it draining to play.  

Just like the first one, I thought it was compelling, masterful and almost perfect.  And just like the first one, I will never play it again.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I went back to check this as well, while it's obviously highly choreographed it's pretty close to the actual game until they get into the store. The interactions between sledgehammer guy and the environment are far too slick though, I remember thinking at the time it seemed too good to be true, and it was. The graphical fidelity wasn't exaggerated though.

I still think it's a bit cheeky how they sold it at the time as being real gameplay, though. I guess you always have to take these things with a pinch of salt. It looks a lot smoother than the actual game, too, as if it's at a higher FPS. 1440p @60 FPS for the PS5 version, if there is one, would be great.

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

And just like the first one, I will never play it again.

Same here. But I could not help myself playing some more on NG+ (Custom difficulty) with Survivor+ enemies and enough resources for a small army so it allows me to actually enjoy the combat sections. I'm skipping all of the cutscenes, I am now just in it for combat. Give it a try, it's fun when you don't play by ND's rule :)

I've rarely seen his Angry videos, but am well aware of the persona. When it's Joe, he seems like a regular articulate dude. He was on last year's E3 couch with Geoff and others and he was just talking about games he was hoping to see.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't know if his Angry persona is a skit for views and clicks. The more drama, the better.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Nice post @Robo_1. I'd be interested to hear which sections you thought were difficulty spikes; the only part I got frustrated by, playing on hard, was the rat king and his instakills, although I think a lot of this was from not being able to see where to go more than anything else.

Thanks. Certainly the Rat King was one but the one which really tripped me up, was when Abby was escaping with Lev & Yara and you couldn't follow them and you have to clear out three waves of enemies before being rescued. I spent about an hour on that on medium, before deciding to throw the towel in and drop down to "light".

In many respects I've done the game a disservice with how I've played it. I wasn't going to get the game until PS5 was out and my own life was a little calmer, but on pretty much the day of release, a simple scan of Twitter spoilt something for me, so I decided that if I wanted to experience this game unspoilt, my only realistic choice was to play it ASAP, so off to the shops I went.

I was so anxious to complete the game, that I resented getting holed up by a tough spot for too long. As I say, I really didn't have the free time to engage in a 30hr game so was burning the midnight oil playing it, I found the story utterly compelling and really wanted to push forward and see the next chapter unfold and with my self imposed social media ban on top of that, I was just really keen to complete it as fast as possible.

Early on in the game I'd switched on the ability to summon a waypoint arrow and I really appreciated that option as I generally hate wandering around looking for where to go next but after that encounter I mentioned, I dropped the difficulty down and I think there was another bit after that where I dropped it down all the way to, "very light" which I do partially regret, as that setting stuck and I completed the game on that setting. For shame.

To be fair, I don't think the game is a total breeze even on that setting, but it removes about 90% of the tension and tactical play from the experience and you can basically tool up and go in Commando style, especially against the Rattlers. I remain huge enthusiastic about the experience, but I know I've cheated myself out of much of the tension which would have perhaps made seeing the narrative unfold all the more powerful.

Ah well, if life settles and I can find the time, then I've got a good excuse for a 4k / 60fps run on the PS5. next year. :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I still think it's a bit cheeky how they sold it at the time as being real gameplay, though. I guess you always have to take these things with a pinch of salt. It looks a lot smoother than the actual game, too, as if it's at a higher FPS. 1440p @60 FPS for the PS5 version, if there is one, would be great.

That DF comparison video is great. Recommend folk watch that as its only 10 minutes or so but gives a brilliant summary of the things that even with all the ambition in the world NG simply could not achieve. While the actual game doesn't flow through those specific sections quite as smooth the animation in the combat really isn't far off. For example, on my first play through the store section with the Brute, that big cunt tossed me over a counter top AND through a window, which was all context sensitive and not scripted as none of that happend the second time I fought and murdered him. So it would be very harsh to criticise NG for what they have achieved given how close the final product actually is to that 2018 video.

Oh and did anyone else watching it get uncomfortable with the fact the player didn't use listening mode even ONCE?! :blink: I guess that emphasises the scripted nature of a lot of the video but remembering that section, I was twitchy as fuck and pretty sure I didnt emerge from listening mode until I was well out that first woods section :D 

I no longer take my dog walking in the nearby woods for fear I will end up gutting some prick who whistles for their dog to return.

• Upvote 2

On 24/06/2020 at 13:01, Majora said:

Instead it mostly just seems to be people upset that the game wasn't a rehash of the first and that their hero, who was never actually meant to be a hero, was killed early on.

Exactly this. I read a facebook post complaining about the story, which was along the lines of "not what I wanted from the game".

Such a weird idea, that you have specific expectations about a story that was written by somebody else. Also, imagine how much less interesting the game would have been if Joel didn't die.

What's the line Ellie says when she reaches the park and the first Scars encounter? 

Something like "I'd better cross the park" or "looks like I'll have to cross the park". I remember thinking at the time that that would be an iconic line and moment and sure enough, those whistles and that whole encounter were chilling. I felt it was coming, like with the horse and trap mine, but it still shocked me. SCCHHHLUNK! I definitely found the Scars more terrifying and intense than the Wolves or Rattlers. 

The original definitely had some very intense set pieces, both occasions when you're fighting alongside David were amazing. The Bill dangling bit. Various instances where it gets a bit hordey. This is on another level, though. There are probably twenty encounters more intense and memorable than anything in the first game. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Trigg said:

Well worth a watch. 

They actually do great reviews.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

For me as well. It's the only part that had me stuck for a while. Though I died a couple of times on the arcade Bloater and Ellie as well.

• Upvote 1

Without wanting to sound cocky, I did that bit when you're trapped in the room as Abby first time on hard, but by the absolute skin of my teeth - a slither of health, two pistol bullets left, no crafting materials, nothing. I practically crawled up and over that car when Lev finally broke through. The tension was exquisite.

I think the temptation to save scum in this if you cock something up or waste a load of bullets is very strong, especially as the checkpoints are so generous, but doing so cheats you out of some of the best experiences the game offers, in my opinion. I made the conscious decision not to reload any checkpoints at all and I think it made the game even better as it forced me to improvise and react realistically if I got spotted or ballsed up (like throwing bottles instead of molotovs :facepalm:).

Man, what a game.

• Upvote 2

Never has a game made me feel so warm and safe by letting me load more bullets into a gun. Knowing that having that extra round in the chamber could be the difference between the last enemies head exploding and you having to take it to the street is one the games most basic and most satisfying features. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Without wanting to sound cocky, I did that bit when you're trapped in the room as Abby first time on hard, but by the absolute skin of my teeth - a slither of health, two pistol bullets left, no crafting materials, nothing. I practically crawled up and over that car when Lev finally broke through. The tension was exquisite.

I struggled on hard, but only because I'm daft. I was getting frustrated with it after dying about ten times...and then I remembered I had a shotgun. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I struggled on hard, but only because I'm daft. I was getting frustrated with it after dying about ten times...and then I remembered I had a shotgun. :lol:

Yup, those incendiary rounds saved my bacon. There was a moment where I ran out and had to craft some as a clicker running towards me. I just managed to make them, load the shotgun and shoot from point-blank range before it got me. That felt good. I was like Josh Brolin in No Country for Old Men:

• Upvote 1

Yeah just a few clips knocked together in sharefactory. There was so many cool encounters but I kept forgetting to capture them :lol:

• Upvote 1

So the girl playing the Vita that Ellie throat stabs is called Witney. I now know this as I have met her at the Wolves FOB on my second playthrough. Missed it first time. Abby and her have a chat in a tent while she's playing Hotline Miami.

So many small details in the game. 

• Upvote 1