rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Gaming turn offs

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I don't need to be Andre Bishop, fighting to take revenge for the death of his brother...

What about becoming *checks notes*

a fictional race driver called Ryan McKane, trying to make a name for himself in a multitude of car championships, all the while under the shadow of his more successful older brother and haunted by the death of his father on the racetrack (as witnessed by Ryan as a child).

https://racedriver.fandom.com/wiki/Race_Driver_series aka TOCA: Remember Days of Thunder?

Raw numbers.

I'm increasingly finding that I have little patience for games that display too many numbers to represent the attributes of various items, characters and so forth in the game world. I find I enjoy things far more when these are hidden behind the scenes, and a simpler but easier to reason about system is shown to the player. I'm far more comfortable recognising that this sword is better than that one because it looks sharper and more flashy, or it glows, or it's made of adamantium, than I am because it has a rating of 6 for Cutting.

Raw numbers are a half finished job. 

• Upvote 7

I have a few:

- Stealth

- "Souls-like" combat (and the Souls games, to be fair)

- Linked to the above, games where the structure is built around running through the same section repeatedly (I gave up on The Surge because of it - plus it got too hard for me :P)

- Anime-inspired graphics

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Let us measure said:

I think it was playing Rogue Legacy a few years ago that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Half the sprites looked like they'd been ripped off from Castlevania and the other half looked like they'd been knocked up in Paint. 

Yeah, it's this kind of aesthetic inconsistency that turns me off rather than the abundance of pixel art itself. Something like Blazing Chrome, which has a very specific vision for its visuals and sticks to it 100% of the time, looks incredible, but there are so many 'retro' games that seem to lack this kind of belief in what they're doing, and have an unconvincing grab-bag of 8- or 16-bit sprites and backgrounds mixed with fully HD dialogue boxes and overlays or whatever. The overall effect (apart from the tweeness) is one of smug ironic distance or cynicism...

• Upvote 3

Somebody posted a screenshot of what I assume was an RPG with a bunch of stats for different abilities. I can sometimes persevere with those kind of games but the usual impact is anxiety. Is this the right stat to invest in? What happens if I was wrong? How much of a thing should I invest? I don’t really want a game to make me feel stupid, these types of screen invariably do. Sometimes they’re done reasonably well though - thought Bloodborne was quite well done.

Yeah, Roguelike’s, etc leave me super cold. As ever, always exceptions - I thought Slay the Spire was great. Mostly rogue like just screams “fucking hard, retro, impenetrable bullshit” to me.

Metroidcastlevanias probably the other type I’ll just avoid. Didn’t like Super Metroid or Castlevania back in the SNES days, and they don’t seem to have appreciately improved in modern times. I *love* the art style of Hollow Knight but know there’ll be a controller embedded in the wall within an hour.

@spanx You raise a good point - games that don't allow any form of respeccing your character at any point. Most don't allow it, so it's very much the exception rather than the rule, but they should.

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Irritating characters. That's you 99% of the Nintendo roster.

One thing that puts me right off Ratchet and Clank on PS5 was the constant wisecracking during the gameplay segment shown on last week's stream. It'd drive me up the wall.

• Upvote 1

I love when people mention that Ratchet and Clank looks like a Pixar movie, because let’s face it the dialogue that the characters deliver would embarrass dreamworks.

• Upvote 4

Long cutscenes and too much story and dialogue: Probably the only two game series to get this balance right are Zelda and Soulsbourne. I'm still in absolute awe of how much money they spend on cutscenes that are probably watched on average just once per player.

Dudebro shit: Gimme a sitrep, meathead marines being hard etc. its been done to death

8 hours ago, Harsin said:

Retro faux-8-bit pixel-art.

Not that I never liked it, it's just so bleeding overdone at this point.

100 percent this. Most powerful console ever and half the games looks like high def NES titles. 

When I started Red Dead 2, the first cutscene started up and had the voice of a manly American man moaning about something and I had a really strong “oh god not this shit again” feeling.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

When a game "expands" the gameplay by giving the character new abilities that you have to unlock, the consequence of which being that you then have to revisit the levels later because you didn't have said ability the first time.

Example: Spyro 1 vs Spyro 2. In Spyro 1 you could 100% every level on the first pass if you knew how, in Spyro 2 this was impossible and just made the game feel dragged out.

See almost every Lego Game ever, if you want to 100 percent complete it. 

Anything that’s a football game, because I don’t like or care about football, so why would I play a football game? That for me is a real gaming turn off, where as - with all due respect -  a lot of the posts in here are a bit “sharp elbows”. 

...or most sports games unless they have a lick of SNK/Nintendo/Sega Arcade action to them...like Virtua Tennis, which is amazing. 

When games try to be funny or clever about giving you a mission that's just there to slow you down and waste time.

"Sorry stranger, you've gone and bought a size 14 12-point socket when what I needed is a size 14 8-point socket. Guess you'd better head on back to Timmy's tools on the other side of the country to go get me one. Sure is unfortunate that I just said a size 14 socket the first time you headed over there, what a waste of time, yuk, yuk, yuk. "

Joking about the bad thing doesn't make the bad thing good. It just means you knew it was always bad. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Shoehorning a story into sports / driving games. Especially if this is then the main mode of the game.  At most, I want to be Bob Boxer fighting his way through a series of increasingly difficult opponents until I get to face Drederick Tatum for the title. I don't need to be Andre Bishop, fighting to take revenge for the death of his brother...

Definitely this coupled with Open World. I downloaded NFS Heat from EA Access last week and only lasted 10 minutes after the 'pick a character from this bunch of edgy dickheads' bit. I'm trying to get on with Burnout Paradise as there is no other arcade style experience on the PS4, the open world bit put me off though.

Beat Em's Ups (or any basic rudimentary arcade style game) with a story mode or a story line. They really don't work. For example, Tekken, its a fighting tournament of course, another one, and here comes a giant panda, a person made of trees, a person made of tin, and boxing kangaroos. Shove that into your narrative where the sun doesn't shine.

Tutorial prompts that interrupt gameplay; usually a sign to stop playing - just let me bash the damn buttons!

11 minutes ago, Tequlia said:

Tutorial prompts that interrupt gameplay; usually a sign to stop playing - just let me bash the damn buttons!

• Upvote 1

Inconsistency.

Like, if you walk through a river in level 1, you shouldn't drown if you touch a river in level 2.  

In the Resident Evil remakes you can sometimes kill a zombie completely with three headshots, but sometimes the zombies will be bullet sponges they keep getting back up. Or a zombie lunges at you, you dodge out of the way (and this technique works 90% of the time) Then you find a zombie that lunges further,  or more than once in quick succession and that perfect dodge that you just carried out wasn't enough this time and the zombie eats  you.

Finally, if you play a game and practice then you should be able to complete any section using your skill. If you find a technique that works then it should always work. They shouldn't be be elements of luck that result in life or death.

Crafting, unless it's really easy to find what you need, like in Skyrim where everybody sells it.

Hunger - can't be arsed with a constant need to find food.

Customizable weapons - played Outer World's and enjoyed it but was anxious about selling anything and never sure what upgrades to apply.

Too many skills to choose from at the very start.  How the fuck am I supposed to know whether a slight increase in hacking is going to be more useful than a slight increase in intimidating people.  I don't know whether playing as an archer will be better than playing as a two-handed hammer wielding meathead.  Fortunately Skyrim improved that last one over Oblivion.

Stunt races / drift races and challenges, car bowling, cone challenges etc.  Just let me race.

• Upvote 2

First person perspective. There are many many exceptions but my aversion to FPS as a genre makes me wary of anything using the view. If it’s slower and not snooty then not a problem (the witness, walking sims).

Most game trailers with the word gameplay in the title. I don’t mind a big show reel of footage but if you say gameplay then show me the UI, show me what it’s actually like to play. Not flashes of maybe in game stuff but from angles I’ll never actually be allowed to see.

Cinematic stories. It’s not so much the games themselves sometimes but the reviews and players who rave about the story of some such game when in reality we’re talking about bargain basement straight to VHS shit. There are exceptions. Games have the ability to tell stunning tales but they must do so in an interesting way. A way in which I’m involved. A way that suites the medium.

Art direction can be a big turn off for me. Slay The Spire is a good example. The game is fantastic but the art direction is fucking aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawful. I got past it though. On the flip side I finished Bioshock Infinite despite it being incredibly mediocre because the art was amazing.

And, bizarrely, Playstation exclusives. I've tried to enjoy them but when there's another one I don't get turned off as such, I just don't give a fuck. That's not to say Microsofts DUDE BRO list is any better, I just bumped up against more of the Playstation ones than anything else. I think Spider-man is the only one I enjoyed in recent years.

• Upvote 3

Long single player slogs that outstay their welcome. I used to love long games when I was younger - I saw it as value for money. Now I don’t have so much time on my hands I give up before I even get halfway. 

• Upvote 2

Triggered by The Last Of Us 2 - picking up notes/letters to read and having to wade through a screenful of text for the backstory, especially if you're going to miss something important like the code for a safe (hello 1995) by skipping them. This is just shitty, immersion breaking design in something that tries its hardest to be a movie.

• Upvote 2

I know it's been mentioned here already, but looting in non-loot based games. I can get with it in Terraria- the entire purpose of that game is looting. But games such as Witcher 3, Dragon's Dogma, Fallout- any current RPG it feels like, looting is the worst part:

• It's boring. Nobody plays a game about killing fantastical monsters and gets excited about picking up some sticks.
  • It's slow. You have to loot each individual container or corpse separately. How no game has got a 'loot everything in 5m' button is beyond me.
  • It slows you down in game. You loot all the shitty junk you find like a skip diver with no bar, and then discover you can only waddle because of all the rusted iron in your pockets. So you have to work out whether to drop 50 rusted whelks or 2 axe shafts to enable you to walk properly.
  • It's necessary. Given just how shit looting is most sane people would just not do it. But then you hit a monster you can't kill, and for the sword you need three emerald shards, 4 tonne of rock, 11 dockleaves and a magpie fart.
  • Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

This new thing, introduced by Destiny I think, where you have to long hold down a button instead of just pressing it. Wank.

• Upvote 2