rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Gaming turn offs

Skill tree's - it feels like you're playing with a gimped version of the character, heightened when you complete a game with an incomplete skill tree a la Ratchet and Clank.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I don't think I've ever truly loved a game that allows you to change the the brow height or the cheekbone depth or the size of the bridge of the nose in the character creation options. That level of micro-customisation is often indicitive that the game following it is just a fuckload of fiddly hassle. 

I think every time I play a game with a character creator I spend aaaaaaaages footering about with it only to find the game a complete bore once I actually start playing it. WWF Warzone on N64 is the first I can vividly remember, and Skyrim on 360.

• Upvote 2

Just now, joffocakes said:

I think every time I play a game with a character creator I spend aaaaaaaages footering about with it only to find the game a complete bore once I actually start playing it. WWF Warzone on N64 is the first I can vividly remember, and Skyrim on 360.

My favourites are the ones where after painstakingly spending hours crafting a godlike adonis you end up very rarely seeing your character's face. 

• Upvote 5

When a game "expands" the gameplay by giving the character new abilities that you have to unlock, the consequence of which being that you then have to revisit the levels later because you didn't have said ability the first time.

Example: Spyro 1 vs Spyro 2. In Spyro 1 you could 100% every level on the first pass if you knew how, in Spyro 2 this was impossible and just made the game feel dragged out.

Now in comparison, while Crash Bandicoot has always forced the player to backtrack levels thanks to the gems, at least Crash 2 was built around the player having all the new abilities from the start. In my opinion it makes for a much better game.

See also: Sonic Unleashed Wii vs Sonic Unleashed Xbox 360. The Wii version gives you all of sonics abilities from the start, guess which one I enjoyed more.

Obviously this design can improve a game if done right but often i just find such design to be a boring obstcle.

42 minutes ago, Jolly said:

My favourites are the ones where after painstakingly spending hours crafting a godlike adonis you end up very rarely seeing your character's face. 

Dark Souls is one where I spent ages before my first game trying to make my character look realistic, because I had no idea how prominently my character's face would appear in the game. I wanted to do all I could to avoid it turning out like Mass Effect, where a face that looked fine on the character creation screen ended up looking weird in cutscenes with different lighting.

Then of course after spending all that time I spent 95% of the game Hollow, and/or with a mask covering my head.

Oh From Software, you cheeky scamps! The real Dark Souls begins at the character creation screen...

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I mean, there's a good few elements of a game that I find off-putting, but most have exceptions. Like, I dislike crafting mechanics generally, but some games focussed on them (e.g. Minecraft) I have a lot of time for.

One element that doesn't ever sit well, though, is shitty working conditions, and/or crunch. If I know you put your staff through hell to make a game, I'm out. Even if that means avoiding a game I was very keen on playing (yes, Cyberpunk, I'm looking at you), or a game I'd previously enjoyed (oh, Read Only Memories :( ).

• Upvote 2

Backtracking. Repetitive and annoying.

2 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I’ve got to a point where Trophies and Achievements are a turn off.

( This is an easy way of saying I’m shit at it :) ) 

Because of Trophies you get crap like find all the hidden packages  or  shoot 100 enemies in the balls! 

I'm at the point where I think I'm just going to turn notifications for trophies and achievements off, especially for open world games. After a long time spend playing games on Switch and leaving PS4/Xbox alone, it's jarring to have that nonsense popping in at the top of the screen when I'm playing on those systems.

• Upvote 1

• Indie games with stupid left-field run-on titles like "Oh Shit! My Genitals Are Now Wasps!" or whatever.
  • Another vote for "sick of faux-8/16-bit", not just because there's so many but they're all starting to look the same.
  • "Open a Ubisoft/2k/whatever account to continue."
  • Overwatch copycats

Also, long intro sequences put me off replaying games I'd normally happily restart. MGS5 and Mass Effect 2 are recent offenders. There should be a new game plus setting that puts you straight on Mother Base/The Normandy.

Also this doesn't quite fit (since I'm actually playing them) but I'm playing the Shantae games and something I really don't understand is the combination of kid friendly jokes/dialogue/general art style and massive bouncing anatomically impossible breasts.

• Upvote 2

Crappy stealth mechanics. I loved MGS and the Splinter Cell games back in the day, but now if see a video of a guy half crouched walking at 50% speed sneaking up on an enemy who has his back turned then I'm basically out. 

9MQsOcF.jpg

Not so long back when the Ghosts of Tsushima game play demo was released the first thing I saw was the player character doing his stupid stealth walk behind a guard before one hit killing him and I decided not to buy the game.  Maybe I'm just a fussy bastard in my old age, but I'm time poor these days and that sort of stuff just bores me to tears. 

Shoehorning a story into sports / driving games. Especially if this is then the main mode of the game.  At most, I want to be Bob Boxer fighting his way through a series of increasingly difficult opponents until I get to face Drederick Tatum for the title. I don't need to be Andre Bishop, fighting to take revenge for the death of his brother...

• Upvote 8

9 minutes ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:
  • Indie games with stupid left-field run-on titles like "Oh Shit! My Genitals Are Now Wasps!" or whatever.

That sounds awesome. 

• Upvote 4

- 'Emotional' Narrative

- Ubisoft Open Worlds

- Taxi Missions

- Fetch Quests

- Endless cut-scenes of drivel

- Hold up to gameplay

- NPC's littered through levels that talk but say nothing useful

- People not appreciating stone cold classics like: Oh Shit! My Genitals Are Now Wasps!

• Upvote 2

QTEs

Always online GaaS single-player shit, like The Division, although I loved those games

Open-world Ubisoft, excluding The Division

Millions of hours of cutscenes upon starting a game. For fuck’s sake, gaming surely should have moved on. This is the clunky expositional dialogue of video games. Why can’t you tell a story through actions you fucking cunt. “Here is all the backstory and character motivation.” Just tease it to is organically you bloated turds. Maybe spend more money making the game than making the movies about the game. 

When the loading credits states [insert name] Presents, which always makes my heart sink because I want to play a game not watch a movie. Cue long opening cut-scene followed by talking to a lot of NPCs.

3 hours ago, therearerules said:

Rogue, or rogue like, or AI generated maps/levels. It’s basically a guarantee the map is functional and dull, as opposed to beautifully hand crafted. The other part of rogue that puts me off is the idea of resetting my progress every time I die.

Yep, agree with this. The only game with randomly created levels that has pulled it off, in my opinion, is Spelunky. The levels in that game feel organic due to the awesome way it was designed.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Crappy stealth mechanics. I loved MGS and the Splinter Cell games back in the day, but now if see a video of a guy half crouched walking at 50% speed sneaking up on an enemy who has his back turned then I'm basically out.

Not so long back when the Ghosts of Tsushima game play demo was released the first thing I saw was the player character doing his stupid stealth walk behind a guard before one hit killing him and I decided not to buy the game.  Maybe I'm just a fussy bastard in my old age, but I'm time poor these days and that sort of stuff just bores me to tears. 

Have you played Sekiro? The stealth is sooo lax, it's basically a power fantasy. You're an OP ninja that sprints and grapples completely unnoticed. Imagine if it was as tediously realistic as other games. Enough people already bounce off it.

Relentlessly blasting you with soulful violin music in an attempt to be artsy and emotional, without actually doing anything to earn the emotional response. 

Oops forgot endless try hard cut scenes and waffle in a driving game! Just let me fucking play.

Icons everywhere games.

4 minutes ago, Revival said:

- 'Emotional' Narrative

- Ubisoft Open Worlds

- Taxi Missions

- Fetch Quests

- Endless cut-scenes of drivel

- Hold up to gameplay

- People not appreciating stone cold classics like: Oh Shit! My Genitals Are Now Wasps!

You'd enjoy Death Stranding

• Upvote 3

I hate games that go out of their way to not tell you what on Earth is going on,

I like open world games but don’t just throw me in the middle of one with little to no explanation of where to go or what to do. Certain games you have to use a guide because where you are meant to go next is so obscure or hidden in dialogue that you could literally waste hour upon hour trying to figure out what to do,

Don’t hold my hand all the way through a game but at least make sure I know what I’m doing and give me a glowing cursor on a map it something so I know what direction to head in...

Edit -

Oh and @Doctor Shark

- survival mechanics

- crafting

- resource management

Add in level grinding and you have my perfect game :lol:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Timmo said:

You'd enjoy Death Stranding

:lol: Genuinely my personal hell.

I like the look of a game like Kingdom Come Deliverance (The actual gameplay) but then If I see a screenshot like this I just think can’t be arsed so don’t bother
image.thumb.jpeg.b0f812ab469ec4a3499136b617a0571a.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Stealth sections / games. 

Resource collecting. 

Single player games that are padded out to last 500 hours. 

54 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Shoehorning a story into sports / driving games. Especially if this is then the main mode of the game.  At most, I want to be Bob Boxer fighting his way through a series of increasingly difficult opponents until I get to face Drederick Tatum for the title. I don't need to be Andre Bishop, fighting to take revenge for the death of his brother...

Exactly. I don’t need to build up from a Mini Cooper S to a Ferrari F12 in order to take revenge, I can just use the Mini to mow the fucker down and reverse over his body. It’s an illegal street race run by an illicit drugs cartel in a city with no cops, whatcha gonna do about it?

Enemies respawning if you leave an area.  Clear out the bad guys and head off to another part of the map but you instantly realise you are going the wrong way and turn back only to find all your foe's have magically reappeared.

Also slightly related (probably JRPG specific), not being able to see enemies on the screen and then getting dragged to battles when walking about. 

• Upvote 1

Any Naughty Dog game. Ive given them a chance (Uncharted 2, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us) but I find the gameplay, mechanics, and stories to be shockingly horrendous. They are lovely looking, to be fair.

Any JRPGs of the classic sense, Final Fantasies and the like. Hate turn based combat. Also throw stuff lke Bayonetta and its overly sexualised bollocks into the mix.

Similar to above, Visual Novels. Tedious.

Almost anything turn based also, ala XCom etc. RNG nonsense. The only real turn based game I enjoy is Slay the Spire.

I sound like a right grumpy twat but theres so many games I do love :D

• Upvote 3