rllmuk
Rayn

Unexplored and under used settings and themes in games

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

How about a Tropico-esque city builder/management game, perfect. 

I've long wanted a Napoleonic wars game that isn't a beard strokey wargame. There was obviously Napoleon Total War and a great mod for (medieval Elite type game) Mount and Blade that turned it into a multiplayer Napoleonic wars FPS, a proper game could be great. 

Why not try this forgotten GBA game?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, deKay said:

You know there’s a Mysterious Cities of Gold game on the Wii U, right?

I did not know that. But looking at the trailer it would appear it's set in China!

Hopes dashed.

I’ve been waiting for games set in totally destructible environments. Think beam ng but with everything in a city being destructible. I remember one of the Battlefield games being able to drive a tank through a house. It was very satisfying! 

7 minutes ago, mexos said:

I’ve been waiting for games set in totally destructible environments. Think beam ng but with everything in a city being destructible. I remember one of the Battlefield games being able to drive a tank through a house. It was very satisfying! 

bad company

42 minutes ago, mexos said:

Earth Defense Force 5 is in the sale right now.

45 minutes ago, mexos said:

Like Red Faction Guerilla on steroids?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Like Red Faction Guerilla on steroids?

Please! But yeah, the first red faction, I remember it well

”you can destroy the environment... but only the bits with the yellow spray paint”

I think the last one I played was unplayable on console, because of the shockingly bad frame rate.

didn’t the game have a demo room with a fully destructible shed or something?

Maybe a greenhouse?

Edited by SeanR

Yeah, a greenhouse. And you could go off and tunnel in to the infinite rock of the cave.

Hmm, a geomod EDF where you could nuke your way down to a big hive would be fun. Real time ant tunnelling too.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Yeah, a greenhouse. And you could go off and tunnel in to the infinite rock of the cave.

Hmm, a geomod EDF where you could nuke your way down to a big hive would be fun. Real time ant tunnelling too.

I was worried the new EDF would be 4K 120fps but all this technology should hopefully keep the EDF frame rate in single figures for decades to come.

• Upvote 3

And you'd still have to spend ten minutes hoovering up all of the power-ups at the end of the level, on an empty, rubble-strewn playing field. Only it won't be as flat, now.

• Upvote 2

Reading through the last couple of pages there are a few ideas mentioned that would be really cool to see.

A proper, big sandbox city that can be fully explored. Make it a modern Police Quest where you start as a rookie and can pick interesting cases yourself. Want to go undercover in a drug ring, sure go for it!

Want to figure out how a billionaire launders his dirty money, do that!

Wanna investigate a kidnapping? A murder? Or do you simply want to hand out speeding or parking tickets?

Make sure your station does a good job at keeping crime rates down an get more funding to get more staff, tools and vehicles. 
Yeah, I’d play that.

• Upvote 1

What happens when you get so good your sandbox is crime free?

Not sure if this is the right thread this, but... Tetris 99, but for other types of gameplay:

Of course, people in the replies are saying that this would basically be Bomberman Battle Royale - and battle royale games aren't exactly underused and unexplored at the moment!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Not sure if this is the right thread this, but... Tetris 99, but for other types of gameplay:

Of course, people in the replies are saying that this would basically be Bomberman Battle Royale - and battle royale games aren't exactly underused and unexplored at the moment!

99 players? pff.

What about 1000?

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

What happens when you get so good your sandbox is crime free?

Transfer to another station in another, crime ridden part of town.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

6D53482B-14D4-4C4C-BC3C-F70044FA3214.jpeg.9a2be68aa13defa15e96dc585ae7f03d.jpeg

How many are CGMF alts?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

Transfer to another station in another, crime ridden part of town.

not fucking likely!

I saw this documentary about a cop who transferred from a nice precinct to somewhere were the cops “work for a living”, and the next thing you know he’s been shot to pieces and turned into some kind of cyborg law enforcement officer.

#nope

• Upvote 6

On 21/06/2020 at 13:20, Made of Ghosts said:

I really get a kick out of the whole “big scary underwater objects” thing. (Submechanophobia? Except that refers to manmade objects and I find whales and stuff just as scary.) Can’t really think of a game that does this. 

There's a new one that came out recently which I've been playing with a friend. I was initially hesitant, as it appeared tedious, but within a few hours, I was completely hooked and have put 50+ hours in by now. The game is very much a work in progress, but is still entertaining and challenging to play: https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

This game is set underwater in Europa, Jupiter's moon, and you are regularly faced with alien creatures (big and small), parasites which infect your crew, wrecked submarines with alien occupants to battle, and alien ruins to explore and loot. Warning: the learning curve is very steep, but it is also rewarding if you enjoy building your own environment (submarine editor), adventuring socially (cooperative online play), and chaotic situations.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

• Upvote 3

@Made of Ghosts Barotrauma (mentioned above) is part of the current Humble Choice, if that helps.

As to the OP, I'd love to be part of a proper wargame where you are just a small cog in the machine. No super heroics or Rambo-ing possible, but part of a much bigger piece. Where you have to be helped by your AI teammates and your objectives feed into a much bigger narrative that ebbs and flows. I realise there are various online games that try and do these things, but I want a single player game to do it.

• Upvote 1

+1 vote for Barotrauma, but it's not a good solo experience. I've been playing with a regular group of 7-8 other people and it's brilliant. I'm the doctor and am actually getting the hang on it now - would inject self with alien eggs to see what happens again.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

As to the OP, I'd love to be part of a proper wargame where you are just a small cog in the machine. No super heroics or Rambo-ing possible, but part of a much bigger piece. Where you have to be helped by your AI teammates and your objectives feed into a much bigger narrative that ebbs and flows. I realise there are various online games that try and do these things, but I want a single player game to do it.

If it's FPS you're talking about, perhaps Planetside 2 sort of fits that bill a little bit - although it's a little heavy on the jank there's definitely a wider war going on around you. Moving away from first person shooting, I spent quite a bit of time playing Foxhole, which again gave you a great sense of co-operation and being a small cog in a larger war, considering that pretty much every bullet needs to be manufactured by your team at some point, so even the less glamorous jobs like picking up resources and transporting them back to base are completely mission critical. Not sure what it's player base it looking like now, though.

Finally, heading up to proper RTS stuff, Steel Battalion used to have these enormous 10 v 10 theatres of war where you'd basically fight your little conflict as part of much larger actions - I especially liked those games because losses were palpable due to units being irreplaceable during the game, so if you fucked up and lost a bunch of very expensive tanks, you felt bad about it!

2 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

If it's FPS you're talking about, perhaps Planetside 2 sort of fits that bill a little bit - although it's a little heavy on the jank there's definitely a wider war going on around you. Moving away from first person shooting, I spent quite a bit of time playing Foxhole, which again gave you a great sense of co-operation and being a small cog in a larger war, considering that pretty much every bullet needs to be manufactured by your team at some point, so even the less glamorous jobs like picking up resources and transporting them back to base are completely mission critical. Not sure what it's player base it looking like now, though.

I'm aware of those and various others, but they are both online, which I don't want. I want a purely single-player title to do these things. It'd take away from the central conceit of games - i.e. that you are the hero - but I think it could be really good. I doubt it would ever happen though.

Just now, Gabe said:

I'm aware of those and various others, but they are both online, which I don't want. I want a purely single-player title to do these things. It'd take away from the central conceit of games - i.e. that you are the hero - but I think it could be really good. I doubt it would ever happen though.

Oh, yeah - sorry, completely missed the "no multiplayer" bit at the end. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that sort of thing as a single player experience - getting stuck on bog-cleaning duty (so to speak) whilst the AI goes off to fight itself is a particularly thrilling idea, and would probably be quite difficult to pull off convincingly with current levels of processing power; either the complex simulation would have to be relatively tiny, or there would be shortcuts in other places and conflicts would be off-screen dice rolls.

@Lying Cat It would be incredibly difficult to make it a good player experience, I'm sure. Especially as I'm not even sure in my own head quite how I'd like it to work. But there's possibly some kind of workable idea within a framework of 'make the player less of/the only deciding factor'.

Edit: This stems from the feeling that you rarely get a good sense of scale from any game that purports to covering a large-scale war and part of that is because of the need for it to fit around the player turning the tide. You can't sit there and destroy a proper army all by yourself, after all (plus, obviously, computational power is a factor.) I like the idea of my actions feeding into something bigger, but something I don't feel detached from (i.e. because the action is all in a cutscene). 

On 26/06/2020 at 18:04, mexos said:

I have this on my wishlist: http://teardowngame.com/

• Upvote 1

There should be more games set around the dinner table. Maybe the boss is coming to dinner and you really need that promotion. Maybe you've quantum leaped into the body of one of the people around the table and you have to convince them all you belong there. The possiblities are endless!

• Upvote 1