Your favourite game from when you were twelve

19 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Took my 4 year old to Arcade Club in Leeds at the end of last year. He was a bit too young and it was too much stimulation so he spent the entire time in a state of hyperactive near-meltdown and I was in a constant state of aggravation as a result but... 

He loved the old sit down Star Wars cabinet. It was one of the only games he was able to concentrate on for longer than 60 seconds at a time and he mentions it every now and then.

It's a near perfect game in my eyes. There's something magical about the old vector graphics games and their retina searing brightness.

I’ve got it on my RetroPi, but the PS3 joypad is too sensitive to control it properly. Need to do some research on how to tone down the responses, or get a pad with much longer sticks !

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

You lot are well old.

Don't I know it. On the one hand, it must be great to be a kid now and have Switches, DS, PS4s and Xboxes, plus the entire history of video games to play through.

Not to mention entire TV Channels of dedicated programming, and not just the hour leading up to the 5pm news plus Saturday mornings on two channels.

But on the other hand, I was into video games from the start, and living through the entire history of the hobby has been fucking awesome! Back in the 78 to 88 heroic period, you had gobsmacking new games, and ways to play them, announced constantly.

• Upvote 5
45 minutes ago, Jammy said:

1983, so Jetpac, Tranz Am and Manic Miner on my Spectrum.

My grandparents lived near Wells Next The Sea in Norfolk, which had two arcades. There was only one game I was spending my pocket money on that summer....

CE37886B-835E-4466-B18F-5632D8A85351.jpeg

Wells had 2 arcades? Actually, I guess there's still one on the corner opposite the harbourmaster; I just never go into them these days.

Last one I went into was in Vegas. I need to go to one of the retro clubs.

Just now, smac said:

Wells had 2 arcades? Actually, I guess there's still one on the corner opposite the harbourmaster; I just never go into them these days.

Last one I went into was in Vegas. I need to go to one of the retro clubs.

Yeah, they had one on the main facade facing the harbour, just down from the Rock Shop, as well as the one on the corner which I think is still there.

As a 12-year-old in 1996 I still had an Amiga - not many new releases coming out for it by then! A quick look at lemonamiga.com reveals that Chaos Engine 2 came out, along with a two-player split screen freeware game called Dogfight that was absolutely hilarious. 1996 was also the year of Gloom, a blatant Doom rip-off for the Amiga market. I remember coveting it but it required an upgraded Amiga or something, so never got to play it.

The modern games I did get to see were played at friends' houses. Games like the original Formula 1 on the PlayStation which blew me away. But what I was really in awe of was the PC one of my mates had recently got to replace his Amiga. Games like C&C Red Alert, BioForge and the Screamer racing series were so far ahead of what I'd seen before. I remember coming home from his house and talking to my parents for hours about the things I'd seen, which was probably a factor in us getting a PC of our own a mere, er, 18 months later at the end of 1997. :lol:

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

1976 so all there was at home was a generic pong type bat n ball unit. This was the first ever thing that was plugged into the back of our home TV at a time when tvs were still prone to spontaneously combusting, so no doubt created a lot of suspicious paranoia in my parents. Tuning in to channel 36 to get a signal was like fine tuning an oscilloscope. VCRs were still a way off. Little did I know that gaming was about to kick off a lifetime's obsession within a year or two as the Atari VCS would launch and the world would be overtaken by Space Invaders. So 1976 was probably the very start of it all... Or the end of  an analogue life if you like. 

Did you ever watch those 'back in time for dinner' programmes? Yeah, I know, Giles Coren - but the kids were amazed that there was fuck all to do up to the 70s other than play out. Being sent to their room was an actual punishment because there was zero tech in there. Couple of books if they were middle-class, otherwise no phone, no tv, no console, no tablet. Just the eternal dullness of being. Actual boredom was a credible threat.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, OogyBoogy said:

I didn't have a computer or any consoles in 1982, but I visited the local snackbar to play Crazy Kong quite a bit.

Yeah. Solo standup cabs in chippies, bars and caffs was a thing. We'd hear about new games on the grapevine and make a trip especially to play them. Sucked when a favourite cab got moved on.

• Upvote 2

I turned 12 in 1992, but it was ‘93 that I was 12 for 364 days of, so that’s probably more relevant. I would’ve likely (still) been picking up and playing the latest iterations of Street Fighter II, Sonic, Sensi and Earthworm Jim for the Mega Drive,  while slowly discovering that I actually quite liked slightly more cerebral things too (Populous was a surprise hit when I picked it up second-hand on a whim, as were Syndicate and Cannon Fodder when they were ported).

The defining game of 1993 for me though was actually Gunstar Heroes. A random shop appeared on Watford High Street one day (I never saw it before then, or again after), and amongst the random jumble of crap it sold was a surprisingly cheap new copy of Gunstar Heroes, which I’d never heard of prior, but picked up on a whim.

To this day I still adore that game, with its daft sense of humour and wonderfully solid, almost chunky feel, and still end up buying it and playing it through again on any console I own that it’s ported to. It’s one of my favourite gaming purchases ever (the first time I got it, that is), and probably the only game I actually remember the act of buying prior to the PlayStation era.

• Upvote 3
12 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

1983 . Spectrum. Horace goes skiing , flight simulator and hunchback . 

let me tell you a story about hunchback ( I’ve told this one before ) . It was the first game I bought for my spectrum ( flight sim and Horace were bundled ) . I open the cassette case to read the instructions and it said :

type LOAD””<enter>

so that’s what I did . I typed LOAD “”<enter> and then pressed enter . And it came back syntax error or such like. So I tried again and again and LOAD “hunchback”<enter>. Same result .

after about 30 minutes , tears welling in my eyes , convinced my new machine was broken. I typed LOAD “” and then pressed enter . 

the relief ! 

game was fucking shit. 

This and Raiders of the Lost Ark on the 2600 earlier in the year which had taken since Christmas 1982 to complete.

I can still also hear the sound effects of Jetpac, Manic Miner, Cookie, Pssst! and Attic Attack in my head.

• Upvote 2

Christ, I wrote my first game at 12, before most of you were born. Might as well start looking at care homes!

Anyway, Space Invaders, and maybe Defender had reached our shores by then.

• Upvote 1

Lucasarts were so good . 

there’s a thread somewhere for lucasarts top fives 

1. The Dig

2. Monkey Island 1&  2 ( I count them as an ensemble)

3. Full Throttle

4. Grim Fandango

5. Day of the Tentacle 

• Upvote 1

I was 12 in 1989. I would have only had a Commodore 64 then. As well as some old arcade games at the local off-licence (maybe Double Dragon?). I would have been playing a lot of Bubble Bobble on the Commodore. I don’t think I ever finished it.

• Upvote 1

1987 for me. Whatever I could save for and play on the family Amstrad CPC. Robocop, Combat School, Platoon spring to mind as games of that era. I was so desperate for an Amiga. Wouldn’t get one for a couple of years yet

• Upvote 1

1992 for me.

We had a NES, so me and my Bros were still playing SMB3 and TLOZ, but on my birthday my dad brought home a suspiciously procured Amiga and shit load of pirated games. Sensible Soccer, Kick Off 2 and Champ Manager dominated the whole household until the PS1 arrived in our house and everything changed, not just with gaming. 

While I played a lot of games as a kid and loved the Amiga back then, I have relatively little affection for it at all. My most enduring gaming memories of those years are playing Super Mario Kart and Street Fighter 2 at my mate's house on the SNES, and later playing SM64 and OoT at another mate's house and occasionally borrowing it for the weekend for a couple of suspiciously procured tinnies or Embassy No. 1.

Great times. 

• Upvote 1

1996 for me, I had a Saturn and my first PC

So mainly Tomb Raider. Nights into Dreams, Resi Evil, Quake, Final Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

Loved it. Resi was the shit. Super Metroid was still my fav game then though.

• Upvote 1

Playing lots of Scramble and Defender at whichever Butlins my parents had  holidayed at that year. Loved them both and I certainly progressed more in Scramble. Defender and it’s mutants would defeat me by level 3.

I’d have probably been drooling at a friends ZX81 playing 3D Monster Maze.

• Upvote 2

I was 12 in 1999. FFVII, despite having been released in 1997, was my favourite game for a solid 10 years so it’s definitely what I would’ve chosen at 12.

• Upvote 1