rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Your favourite game from when you were twelve

There's a thing going round on twitter now asking people to name their favourite game from when they were twelve. I don't know why they picked twelve, seems random, but hey, why not?

I was twelve in 1994. Looking at the list of games released in 1994 and there were some proper crackers:

- Super Metroid

- Donkey Kong Country

- Earthbound

- Earthworm Jim

- Warcraft: Orcs and Humans 

- Mortal Kombat 2

- Aladdin

- NBA Jam

- Secret of Mana

And loads more besides. 

What a year!

What games were released when you were twelve?

• Upvote 2

I was 12 in 2002, and while all my mates had PS2s, I plumped for a Gamecube instead after seeing the trailer for Smash Bros Melee.

As well as Melee, the Gamecube got:

Zelda: Windwaker

Metroid Prime

Mario Sunshine

Resident Evil

I also got Timesplitters 2, which was cross-platform, but the influence of Goldeneye on it made it feel like a Nintendo game.

It's safe to say that it was a very, very good year. Possibly my favourite ever, in fact :) 

• Upvote 3

I was 12 in 1997. I remember playing Exhumed all summer long on my Saturn. Being 12 I never got new games on release so I'd be picking up preowned stuff from the years before. So that year would be non-stop saturn bangers, Sega Rally, Fighting Vipers, Die Hard Trilogy, Virtua Cop amongst others. Pure magic. 

• Upvote 4

1988. Guerrilla War (Arcade).

Trips to Skegness and the arcades were frequent during my childhood, and this shooter with its rotary sticks took all my 10p's!

Aaaah to be young again.

• Upvote 3

Skool Daze was my favourite game at home in those days.

In the arcade, loved Skykid, Kung Fu Master and Out Run.

• Upvote 6

The Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Other games of note:

Street Fighter II (arcade)

Lemmings

Another World

Sonic the Hedgehog

Super Mario Bros 3 (released 1991 in Europe)

Geoff Crammond's Formula 1 Grand Prix

Last Ninja 3

Quackshot

Streets of Rage

Turrican 2

• Upvote 5

Metroid

Outrun

The Legend of Zelda

Thats about it.

• Upvote 2

Space Invaders hadn't even been released when I was 12. You guys were spoiled.

• Upvote 1

I was also 12 in 1994. But it doesn't matter what was released in that year because I sure as fuck didn't have the means to play them.

So my favourite was probably still Emlyn Hughes International Soccer.

• Upvote 3

1980/81

Galaga on summer hols in a Devon arcade.

3D Monster Maze on my mate’s ZX81. His nickname was Percy and he was sadly famous in school not for his excellent taste in electronics but for his skiddy undies as spotted hanging on the coat hook in the sports hall changing rooms. He also had an amazing hamster called Fred.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Street Fighter II (arcade)

I'm cheating because it was 3 years later but that game changed everything for me.

I was kinda lucky because the local Leisure Centre and a small shop near my friends house both had cabinets (6 buttons and decent sticks), and before i knew it, my 20p would see me through to the credits with consummate ease.

Back then you couldn't prise me off the joystick, and no-one dared challenge me. When it got released on SNES, it was all me and my friends ever played. Don't get me started on the £90 we spent on Turbo (how? lol! those import prices) .

SF2 is so special to me, and still is to this day!

• Upvote 5

I was 12 in 1992, and I got my own first videogame console then, which was a Super Nintendo. So it’s absolutely a toss up between Street Fighter 2 and Super Mario World. 

Pretty crazy pair of games to first grace my SNES, and to say they were affecting is an understatement!

My parents owned a ZX Spectrum then an Atari ST which I played games on, but this was my first bedroom console and I loved it. 

• Upvote 1

The year leading up to my 12th birthday was the worst year of my life.

Which pushed my interest in video games over into an obsession. Video games literally saved my life, they're the reason I'm still here today.

I had an Atari 2600 at the time so my favourite games usually Activision games.

The one I played so much one Summer that I actually injured myself was the still classic H.E.R.O

220px-HERO_cover.jpg

What an amazing game. Explore a cave system to rescue trapped miners armed with a laser, six sticks of explosives, limited oxygen and a helicopter backpack.

48134-h-e-r-o-atari-2600-screenshot-blow

48137-h-e-r-o-atari-2600-screenshot-hove

I still play this every other year. It could do with a random level generator but the 20 caverns back in the day seemed filled with endless variety.

• Upvote 6

That would be 1985 so favourite arcade was Paperboy without a doubt. Was my transition year from Mattle Aquarius/VCS to C64 as well - so Ghosts and Goblins as that was my second C64 game. That was a great fucking year.

• Upvote 2

2002 but still only had a ps1 then IIRC. Driver 2 was my game of choice.

As for what games were released - Sega GT 2002, TOCA race driver, NFS Hot Pursuit 2 and Burnout 2 along with Vice City released that year which I enjoyed massively a few years after, and furthered my enjoyment for driving/racing games

• Upvote 2

Ahem. I’m vintage, and what’s more, still in my original wrapping!

Also 1986, but that’s fine, because Bubble Bobble came out that year, so logically it was when video games peaked. It’s all been downhill since that moment of sheer perfection.

• Upvote 3

Easy one this - R-Type.

I don't think I would've played it in 1987. I remember playing it in an arcade one holiday, probably the year after, and being amazed by it. Eventually had the first half on the PC Engine, and would complete those first 4 levels over and over. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Easy one this - R-Type.

I don't think I would've played it in 1987. I remember playing it in an arcade one holiday, probably the year after, and being amazed by it. Eventually had the first half on the PC Engine, and would complete those first 4 levels over and over. 

From memory those were the best levels so you were getting the better deal there. Level 3 and level 1 in that game are stone cold classics.

Yeah, 1, 3 and 4. I've played the rest since and none of it matches those iconic moments. It's also really difficult, of course.

• Upvote 1

I was 12 in 1988 and my favourite system was without a doubt the NES. 

I was lucky enough to have both a PAL and a NTSC console at the time, so I got to play a few games a lot earlier than the PAL releases. 

My absolute favourite that year is hands down Super Mario Bros. 3 but honourable mentions has to go to the following: 

Mega Man 2

Guardian Legend (very underrated/overlooked NES game, unsure if it ever saw a PAL release?)

Blaster Master

Double Dragon 2

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I like the very obvious effort to make him look like Mark Hamil :lol:

Let's not forget Obi Wan Yenoda in the backround....

• Upvote 1

I turned 12 at the end of 1983, so 

Atic Atac

Jetpac

Tranz Am

are the ones I really remember playing. They were all properly amazing, loved them. As @Curtis (and my 2 teenage sons) point out, I am well old.

In the 1984, when I was still 12, it was all about Return of the Jedi at the arcade. I could complete that game and play for ages on 10p. I live in Southport, a seaside resort, and we had loads of arcades that I was forbidden from visiting, so obviously I did. I was obsessed by Moon Patrol as well for some reason

• Upvote 3