Hardspace: Shipbreaker

Nick R

On 30/09/2022 at 19:32, Kayin Amoh said:

I'm not really sure about how to use tethers yet. I assumed it's for getting a bunch of smaller items together before shunting them into their destination, but seems like they'd be better used on larger objects? Do you tether them to the edges of the furnace/processor?

I just point the tether into the centre of the furnace/processor. For really heavy objects use several tethers to move the objects faster.

On 30/09/2022 at 19:32, Kayin Amoh said:

I'm not really sure about how to use tethers yet. I assumed it's for getting a bunch of smaller items together before shunting them into their destination, but seems like they'd be better used on larger objects? Do you tether them to the edges of the furnace/processor?

I use them mainly to drag really heavy stuff into the processor/furnace/barge. The thing with tethers is you want them to be attached on the side of the object facing the target. If you get them on the wrong side - even a tiny bit around a corner - they're liable to be really weak and also break. It's worth using a temporary one to drag something clear of obstrucions or across to the place you want to stick it, before cancelling it, and using another to actually pull it in. You can waste loads trying to drag something in at an odd angle, I find. I often use the end of the yard, and the platform with the Hab access as anchor points to move things up and down the yard, before cancelling them and using a nice straight one right down the middle to pull it in as cleanly as possible.

One thing I've just twigged on my replay (I can be awfully slow sometimes) - when you do a training ship you get unlimited oxygen, fuel and time until you complete the goal of the training. So you can take the thing apart for free if you leave actually doing the thing you're meant to until the very end. (You risk blowing yourself up and having to do it all again, but it's quite a nice change of pace from the usual 15 minute sessions if you have time to spare.)

Some new, tougher, cut points have started appearing. Level 3. I gather I need to upgrade the laser cutter with ‘heat capacity 3’ to be able to cut through these?

Seems I’m 4 ranks off of being able to unlock this upgrade though…

12 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

You've got the detonation charges?

Oh, they cost 120 Lynx tokens. I’ll need to do a bit of scrapping around the edges in this ship to bulk out before I can afford them. Wish I’d spotted that before I blew a whole bunch on upgrades!

Demo charges are fun to use, and can be really useful. It was really frustrating on my replay knowing they were going to be available, but I saved LP specifically so that I could get them ASAP.

Enjoy planting them on all the cut points on the tangle of fuel pipes in the middle of that type of ship, then just pulling the trigger to take the thing apart.

Spoiler

Also, good for extracting higher level reactors - plant in advance, do the necessary to send the reactor to meltdown, then blow the charges to free the core whilst you're on the way over to grab it and barge it.

One thing it took me far too long to realise was that if you're ripping stuff out of small sections of ships, you should do it from inside them rather than outside to avoid pulling it around. Felt daft when I twigged.

The complexity curve is starting to get a bit galaxy brain. I was sure class two reactors required disconnecting the fuel line and removing the coolant from the ECU, but the next training ship introduced fuses and removed the fuel line mechanism, such that when I disconnected the coolant from the ECU, rather than beginning a slow and controlled meltdown, nothing happened to the reactor. Of course, when I then yanked it, it melted down right away, and right in my face.

What key point did I fail to take away from this training ship? Bloody Hal wouldn’t let us have a proper training session!

13 minutes ago, Popo said:

The complexity curve is starting to get a bit galaxy brain. I was sure class two reactors required disconnecting the fuel line and removing the coolant from the ECU, but the next training ship introduced fuses and removed the fuel line mechanism, such that when I disconnected the coolant from the ECU, rather than beginning a slow and controlled meltdown, nothing happened to the reactor. Of course, when I then yanked it, it melted down right away, and right in my face.

What key point did I fail to take away from this training ship? Bloody Hal wouldn’t let us have a proper training session!

Don't you also have to turn a switch on the thrusters to disconnect it from the class two reactors?

Unfortunately like the premise of the game this is becoming a bit of a grind now. I've unlocked all of the ship types I think, and many upgrades, but I'm only half way through the rank structure and already have all the main bits of kit. I may be able to finish the game before reaching max rank but taking ships apart is becoming a chore. Once you've seen all the configurations and are familiar with different pieces of the jigsaw it becomes repetative. Because I've done the puzzle solving element so many times of not blowing things up etc that's lost its shine as well. I listened to Youtube or podcasts the last two sessions just to pass the time. It's still a good game but I feel like I reached peak a while ago, and now the prospect of hours more isn't very appealing, although I will try to at least get to a conclusion of some kind.

It's certainly a game that if it wants to be this long could do with some DLC to add new ship types and new layouts of existing ships, as well as some new tools to streamline some of the more tedious aspects like clearing out rooms of electronics. I suppose I could start sacrificing bigger chunks of ships to the wrong processor types to save time but that goes against the philosophy of saving everything you can and also limits your ranking up prospects.

I’m on level 19 now and you do keep getting new ship types although they are admittedly variations on the existing types from lower levels.

Main change is size. My last ship was a tanker and stretched all the way to just a few feet off the habitat Jack you start on! It was huge and had two ion rings that were bigger than some ships.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in the endgame phase now, at level 19, having just done the ‘industrial action’ ship. That was fun. 

I just need to find a few more parts for Weaver’s ship then I’m outta here, although I still haven’t done a ghost ship, so I’ll make sure o do that before finishing - tonight seems apt, in fact. 

Length-wise it’s been about right for me. The lack of new types of ship and hazards does slow down the sense of progression, although the highest hazard level I’ve done is 9, and there’s one more above that, so maybe the game still has something new to show me before the end?

DLC with more ships would be a hoot. 

I got all the bits for my ship but nothing happened... do i just have to grind out more levels to get progress?

It is fun, but has got samey...think I am about half way through the 'levels' progress.

In my game I have seen no mention of

Spoiler

Ai or Ghost ships

Just their mention here.

2 hours ago, fragglerock said:

I got all the bits for my ship but nothing happened... do i just have to grind out more levels to get progress?

It is fun, but has got samey...think I am about half way through the 'levels' progress.

Reveal hidden contents

Ai or Ghost ships

Just their mention here.

Have you been reading the emails? Pretty sure you have to do that to push the story forward. There's definitely one of those two spoilered things - I think they may be one and the same thing though. Again, could well be triggered by the story, since a character mentions them before they start appearing.

I'm still enjoying my second playthrough. Something cathartic about breaking stuff, and trying to do it as thoroughly as possible. Some of the values are daft though. It's thousands for a poster, and a few hundred for a ladder.

3 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Hide contents

Ai or Ghost ships

Just their mention here.

Once you’ve fixed up the ships you can choose to end your contract. I assume the credits roll after that, haven’t done it yet myself. 

Do you have to pay off the whole debt and if its optional is it worth doing? I've had more interesting things to play recently and because I'm in that endgame slump its honestly a bit too work-like to go back to right now. I will get round to it eventually. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my ship, up to hazard level 8 I think and have encountered the spoilered ships and Gecko class.

11 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Do you have to pay off the whole debt and if its optional is it worth doing? I've had more interesting things to play recently and because I'm in that endgame slump its honestly a bit too work-like to go back to right now. I will get round to it eventually. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my ship, up to hazard level 8 I think and have encountered the spoilered ships and Gecko class.

Don’t be put off by the debt level, I won’t spoil it, but needless to say it’s not a target you’ll need to overcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished, really enjoyed it but could have done with a bit more variation in the last third or so of the game.

I'm sure you've worked it out now @Popo, but disconnecting the thrusters and disabling the ECU only slow the reactor meltdown - you can pop off the reactor before touching anything else if you want, just got have a clear exit for it!

7 hours ago, MarkN said:

I keep playing this. Can't help myself. Have finished it twice already, but keep dipping in to lop bits off and tidy stuff up. Started a new ship yesterday.

I wish I could have the same attitude about tidying my flat.

How would you feel about disassembling your flat and selling the parts for profit?