IGNORED

Hardspace: Shipbreaker

Nick R

10 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Really looking forward to the Xbox S/ PS5 version.

Is there any date for this? I've been eagerly anticipating this game but don't have a PC that can run it.

They were advertising it as coming soon over a year ago! :) I had a brief exchange with the dev over Twitter and it sounds like the Gamepass deal changed focus for them but the last message from them said an announcement would be "very soon" following the PC release.

Any thoughts on how far the variety/replayability will stretch with current content? On a similar note, any indication of if the devs are likely to add any more stuff down the line, or is this essentially 'it'?

Some further non-spoilery gameplay details I would have appreciated being told by the game:

• The grapple has a secondary (tertiary?) function initially bound to middle-click which I only discovered by accident (the default PC keybindings for this game are bizarre). This "push" function makes it much easier to shove parts into their destination bins before you've mastered the "swing".
  • The cutter has two modes which are toggled between whenever you press the cutter selection button ('2' on PC). In its secondary mode, you can change its orientation with the secondary fire button (right-click). It's a good learning experience to find out for yourself how these two modes differ.
  • If you're playing career mode, every time you start a shift you can either work on your current ship, or bin the lot and start a new one. The position of all the parts is saved between shifts if you return to a job in progress. Unless you're trying to "use all the buffalo", don't be ashamed to move on to another ship if you're struggling to sweep up the last few bits and pieces. Especially early on, when ships don't yield as much value and you have to balance what you might earn against your daily outgoings.
  • Use the scanner! You start with it and it's mega-useful for finding stray parts, amongst other things.

Despite it saying ‘unsupported’ I was able to get this running on my steamdeck just fine. You’ll have to bring the keyboard up manually to put your name in and then alter the resolution and graphics* in the settings and I was able to play the tutorial with no issues.

Remains to be seen if if chokes later on in the game or has a memory leak** issue.

*Set it all on max and put anti aliasing on, was getting 50+ fps

** I don’t really know what this means but someone suggested that on Reddit 

You can grab stuff! As in, you can put out your hand and hold on to surfaces (Z and X) by default.

This helps massively when things start to move. It would have saved me more than one death knowing this.

This is now on game pass, and I have started it.

Loving it so far, really like the balance between zen-like simulator gameplay and what I think the game is attempting, story-wise, which seems to be a statement on labour laws and unions.

On 02/06/2022 at 18:04, moosegrinder said:

I've got no clue how the controls will work on pad. My pc runs it ok on potato. Don't know how that will hold up with lots of breaking shit down.

I've been playing it on an Xbox pad since it went Early access, all works great IMO. 

1 minute ago, redbloodcell said:

I've been playing it on an Xbox pad since it went Early access, all works great IMO. 

Yep, I’ve found the pad controls to be incredibly intuitive and well implemented .

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Couldn’t agree more @moosegrinder Game of the year for me so far. How can it be incredibly relaxing and tense at the same time? Each ship is like a puzzle and the little backstory details just add to it feeling part of something bigger.

It made me get my Chris Foss book out too. It’s like my childhood coming to “life”

11 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

How can it be incredibly relaxing and tense at the same time?

Totally this. One second you're nicely floating about, expertly carving this ship up to some burbling americana in the background, the next you're watching all your profits flying off into deep space because you let some sparks hit a fuel canister. And you're on fire. In space. Can't get enough of this shit.

I've been playing this for a while. Absolutely love the gameplay, but hate the writing and delivery of the story, and a few other aspects. I can see what they were trying to do, and like the idea - I just think it's badly presented. The characters are largely unlikeable, which is always a major issue for me. I know the original boss is meant to be a dick, but it's so heavy-handed. You can make people be dicks without making them utterly hateful and stupid. The whole treating the player as a number, when everyone else has names gets tiresome very quickly. The wake-up call messages start off unfunny, and get tooth-grindingly irritating, and almost all other attempts at humour are heavy-handed and misplaced (the "fun facts" that are neither fun nor facts, for example). The enormous "NO SMOKING" sign at the end of the shipyard that you see every single time you play sums it up - it's right in your face, it wasn't funny the first time, and you'll be seeing it over and over again. The kind of thing that might have been funny used once in a specific situation, but stuck right in your face all the time - in a situation where you couldn't smoke if you wanted to (in space for starters, and wearing a helmet), and whilst using a high-powered laser which would be much worse than a cigarette.

But actually taking a ship apart is loads of fun. And the controls for something that is really very complex (free movement in all directions in zero gravity combined with a load of different tools and modes to switch between) are very good (I'm using a gamepad). So I've managed to grit my teeth through all the stuff I hate, and have nearly finished the game (taking a long time about it too) because whilst the bad stuff is bad, the good stuff is so very good.

Happy to see this finally arrived on console so I can play it. It's not quite what I expected but I'm still having a good time. Onto hazard 3. My first death was on the first ship where I was putting something into processing and realised I was stuck in its gravity pull. Squish! Don't get too close! Next mess up was on hazard 2 where I meticulously tried to work around a fuel drum before thinking, ah, if I cut the pipe leading to it then maybe I can extract the drum. Boom! 

I like the soulless corpo vibe and all the little world building details as well. Looking forward to seeing all the gear and upgrades you can get.

The 15 minute day does work perfectly for a quick pick up and play and so far I’ve been impressed with how well the game remembers exactly where everything is when you restart.

Up to Hazard 5 now and the new class of reactor…

Accidentally sparked a level 2 reactor last night as I was cutting pipes around it.

Absolutely shit myself when it went off and wiped out 3/4 ship. The mangled wreckage was pretty spectacular when my clone started its new shift.