Hardspace: Shipbreaker

It's a game about floating around derelict spaceships, breaking them apart to salvage valuable parts. To do it safely, you have to solve problems like finding ways to turn off propellant flow before cutting through pipes. You can slice chunks of metal apart a bit like in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and then tether the chunks to their designated recovery locations. And if you get things wrong, STUFF BLOWS UP and dry messages flash up like "Your next of kin will be billed for unreturned equipment."

It's on Steam early access:

https://hardspace-shipbreaker.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161580/Hardspace_Shipbreaker/

I found out about it today when it popped up in my recommended videos from Scott Manley's channel (whose space gaming videos normally focus on Kerbal Space Program):

Others are covering it at the moment, like Rock Paper Shotgun and Eurogamer - but judging by the comments on both sites, some people aren't keen on the game's imposition of a 15-minute time limit on each shift to provide some urgent pressure. (Ah, the old Jet Set Radio/Jet Set Radio Future problem!)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-16-hardspace-shipbreaker-is-about-dismantling-the-relics-of-homeworld

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/17/hardspace-shipbreaker-is-so-destructive-but-so-relaxing/

Eugh, there's time limits? I picked it up and had a shot at the tutorial stuff. Seemed quite interesting... and now you've literally ruined the game for me. :lol:

This does look cool, and I thought I recognised that name. This is the company that made Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, which was ace, and that game started life as "Hardware: Shipbreakers". It was then renamed to "Homeworld: Shipbreakers" once they got the license, before getting its final name change. I guess the name inspired this game. :)

I got this the other day, I had a couple of days off sick from work and I thought it would keep me entertained. It's good but I'm hoping they add a bit more variety and look at the progression a bit. I'm onto taking apart the bigger ships now, and was initially puzzled as to how to tackle them. Slight spoiler below for people who want to figure out for themselves how to tackle those.

Spoiler

I'm level 6, nearly onto 7 and the ships I'm talking about are the large transport ships with the large amount of seating in the middle. I cut a hole in the ceiling above the seats and got into the crawlspace above. You can divide up the beams in there to take the outside armour off the ship, and I usually start on that after taking off the engines for a handy exit.

Progression seems pretty slow, I think that everything feels heavily gated. I hope that improves as they add more ships and features, because currently it feels like it's only like that to stop you blasting through the ranks in a few hours. The crosscut never gets old, it's so fun chopping things up with it, just remember to check if there's a fuel line or a power cell behind the wall though, they will blow up! I'm still not sure how to decompress a ship correctly. I always end up in the room with the controls, depressurise the rest of the ship, and when I open the door I get pelted with cargo as everything rushes in. I can't see a way to keep the door open and depressurise, and I don't know if that's even possible. I'm pretty sure there will be bigger ships to attack because I've still got a couple of higher ranked ships to unlock, it's just a major grind to get there.

Is anyone else playing?

Any news on the console release? Its getting pushed regularly on the XBOX and PS4 YouTube channels but I cant see any date for a release.

Quite fancy this as something a little different.

• 3 weeks later...