New Pokemon Snap

• 6 months later...

Excited for this. Would be such a perfect lockdown game right now.

I'm hopeful it will look great in person but I think it looks hit and miss in the video. Some lovely pieces but lots of very plain textures and scenes with little detail. I'm sure it will be better in action but I think the Switch's grunt might leave this lacking slightly given it's purpose.

11 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Here for it. It looks like it's on-rails again, I'd love a free roaming iteration but I guess that would be a whole other thing.

It's looking like a massively wasted opportunity. Imagine a Pokemon world the size of BotW's Hyrule, traversable by foot, bike, or bubble car. Pokemon all over the place. Day/night cycle, dynamic weather. Trees with berries on. Caves. Lakes. No direction, just "go take great pictures of pokemon". HOW HARD CAN IT BE, NINTENDO?!

It’ll be on the rails and you’ll be able to use all sorts of gyro-motion bizness when the Switch is in handheld mode (I’m thinking of the minecart level in Captain Toad) and you’ll press ZR to snap and the HD rumble will make satisfying clicking and whirring sensations and it’ll print money.

14 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

They’re not going to spend BotW money and resources on a Pokemon photography spin-off ffs :lol: 

It’d be dirt cheap. Just use BOTW’s map and switch in Pokémon for the enemies. Little bit of tweaking to replace weapons with different types of camera whose shutters break after taking 3 photos.

7 hours ago, revlob said:

It's looking like a massively wasted opportunity. Imagine a Pokemon world the size of BotW's Hyrule, traversable by foot, bike, or bubble car. Pokemon all over the place. Day/night cycle, dynamic weather. Trees with berries on. Caves. Lakes. No direction, just "go take great pictures of pokemon". HOW HARD CAN IT BE, NINTENDO?!

Whilst that sounds incredibly exciting and cool, I'm kind of glad that we're getting a nice on-rails experience. We don't get enough of those anymore, certainly not made by an established player for the big commercial market.

On 14/01/2021 at 15:09, revlob said:

They really don't need my defence, but it bears repeating - Pokémon isn't a Nintendo-developed series, and this particular spin-off is Bandai-developed game.

(though, ironically enough, original Pokémon Snap is one of the few games that was almost Nintendo-developed, being a HAL Laboratory production)