1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

TIL there was a 20th anniversary soundtrack released last year with remixes and remasters... GET :wub:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the original soundtrack, but I will be checking out the remixes for sure. 

What a game. I remember renting it from Blockbusters several times over and still buying it about 6 months later. The music was fabulous. Some of the team bosses were awful from memory. I think the French or Italian bloke would still moan even when you were winning. 

i was a huge Ridge Racer fan, but for some reason i could never get into this one. it looked fantastic for the time, but i preferred the earlier Ridge Racers. i played the 60fps Ridge Racer 1 remake they gave free with the game more than the actual game. 

It was pretty innovative for a Ridge Racer Game from memory - in so far as it had been cities with a bit of countryside until then and this featured some crazy hills. I loved all the Namco game team references and the fact that somehow the cars would always seem to get better looking.

Oddley, as i'm having a Ps2 night (emulated!) you've given me the incentive to play RR V.

I like R4 but I'm in agreement with @mash. I think it must be the slightly different handling model that makes the difference. I loved Hi Spec and still play it today.. but Rage Racer was my favourite PS1 Ridge game at the time. 

The graphic design of R4 was HUGELY influential for me, can't really overstate the impact of that clean interface on contemporary web (Flash) etc.

And of course you can't underplay the impact these late releases had on keeping the PS1 faithful entertained enough to overlook Dreamcast until the launch of PS2.. 

I also played the Hi-Spec demo the other night but as always, I just could not play it properly. The drifting method is different to R4 (which is the first and only Ridge game I've sunk any real time into) and I find that I hardly ever come out of a drift facing the right way, and that's assuming that I haven't gotten myself into a spin. It does look nice and the soundtrack double whammy Ridge Racer and Grip I will never tire of. Ridge Racer seems ripe for a update to be honest - remaster the original and stick it on the eshop/psn at a cheap price.  

Another thing - the article from my original post mentions a sister soundtrack - Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere - composed at the same time and by the same composers. I wondered if anybody had heard it and how it compares to R4? The PS1 disc does not have audio tracks and I cannot find a soundtrack CD for sale at the moment.

This was the only Ridge Racer I ever really got into and I just played my first full GP for 20 years

It's still got it, I was fully in the zone, lost in the soundtrack like I used to be, and there are still awkward corners in the Heaven and Hell track which can fuck my race up (twice). In the later races where you must win, you need to have the confidence to throw yourself into every corner at top speed and deal with it. The handling is a bit silly, but I like how simple it is. For the big corners just throw yourself in there with a gas or brake powerslide, have a listen to the ridiculous skidding SFX and feather your way out of it with the gas and brakes depending on how well you did.

I've always loved the colour palette in this game, its sunrises and sunsets, and those tunnels are what I think of every time I'm in the tunnels doing an airport run in Brisbane.

All the improvements emulation can now add to PS1 games only made it look like it does in my memory, it's always been in widescreen with rock-solid textures, right?

15 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

This looks so good with all the latest emulation texture perspective correction gubbins turned on to get rid of the wobblies:

Which emulator does this? Play mostly on my Shield using an Android emulator but may have to switch to PC if there’s an emulator which sorts out all the texture warping and still runs well. 

PlayStation one games are definitely worth playing on retro arch. Basically makes they look like Dreamcast games.

I've got an ossc , compared to retro arch with PS1 it's pointless. Also N64 games too, 1080p Goldeneye at 60fps is miles better than original.

6 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

This was the only Ridge Racer I ever really got into and I just played my first full GP for 20 years

It's still got it, I was fully in the zone, lost in the soundtrack like I used to be, and there are still awkward corners in the Heaven and Hell track which can fuck my race up (twice). In the later races where you must win, you need to have the confidence to throw yourself into every corner at top speed and deal with it. The handling is a bit silly, but I like how simple it is. For the big corners just throw yourself in there with a gas or brake powerslide, have a listen to the ridiculous skidding SFX and feather your way out of it with the gas and brakes depending on how well you did.

I've always loved the colour palette in this game, its sunrises and sunsets, and those tunnels are what I think of every time I'm in the tunnels doing an airport run in Brisbane.

All the improvements emulation can now add to PS1 games only made it look like it does in my memory, it's always been in widescreen with rock-solid textures, right?

Can you tell me what settings you are using for this in Beetle HW?

The handling on R4 was sublime, approach the corner, lift off, turn in, apply the throttle and let those tyres screech, I played this more than I did Gran Turismo 2 and some of the circuits were just hypnotic to drive around.

The article linked to before makes an excellent point about how the story almost feels like a Persona game in its presentation, not least because of the flair in the entire games presentation.

Just spent an hour playing this tonight. It's brilliant. I never played it properly before. Really great.

On retro arch is anyone else getting a grainy chicken wire effect? I'm using beetle psx hw , similar settings as mentioned above.

On 16/06/2020 at 07:24, Nobuo's Organ said:

TIL there was a 20th anniversary soundtrack released last year with remixes and remasters... GET :wub:

I was in like Flynn, day 1, for this when it came out. They gave me a third disc too with music tracks mixed together gapless/DJ style - it’s awesome 

Having found an old bootleg cd of the OST  a few months back, it's been in my car ever since, with just track 7, the intro music, complete with clip clopping high heels, seeing as all I do is drive to the shop and back twice a week, it's perfect.

Hop in the car, fire it up as te track starts, pop the windows and floor it :-p

God, this thread is making me want to go through it again too. Love it so much I've done every team with every car a few times over the years.

I have Retroarch set up but I'm a bit torn between playing it with the original look and lovely scanlines or fully pimping it out like the videos above. Hmm.