rllmuk

Turning off the servers

10 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

This is a major factor in me deciding to be PC only from now on. One piece of kit that i can upgrade incrementally that will play the library of games i have amassed over the gaming generations. It's a pity as the consoles have nailed the social aspect (party chat etc), but dick moves like this from Sony don't help matters.  

Think PCs are as easy as consoles now. You can use the Xbox app for party chat so feels much like an Xbox experience. I believe you can even party chat to Xbox consoles from the PC now too.

• Upvote 1
Just now, MattyP said:

Think PCs are as easy as consoles now. You can use the Xbox app for party chat so feels much like an Xbox experience. I believe you can even party chat to Xbox consoles from the PC now too.

We use discord for chat just now but the xbox option sounds ideal, i'll give that a go :) 

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The shuttering of Miiverse makes me sad every time I use my Wii U (which I still do fairly regularly). It was mostly inconsequential fluff to be fair but Mario 3D World isn’t the same without the little messages between levels and other stuff like Affordable Space Adventures has been completely torpedoed. I’ve ended up really resenting Nintendo this generation for basically shutting down as much of the Wii U’s infrastructure as they could then expecting people to buy the exact same games at full price all over again on the Switch. 

I think it’s really sad that they made zero effort to archive any of Miiverse, it was there for such a short amount of time.

54 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Older games are going to be many orders of magnitude easier to reverse-engineer a server for, at least. Even classic WoW alt servers must have been a pig to build.

If you could mod Destiny 2 for instance to point at a different server, I still think building it would be a mammoth undertaking- and it's not like Bungie are going to let you peak at their source code for it. I'm not even sure they legally could, as there's a lot of non-FOSS components getting into game backend services that you probably can't licence out to your users.

Such is the trade-off with playing service-heavy games. Some day all we'll have of Destiny will be the memories. Part of me thinks that's a shame but I also accept that you couldn't do Destiny without it.

Large quantities of Destiny wouldn’t be playable anyway, loads of the game forces you into teams and once the servers start quietening down there’s nobody to play with.

55 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

What xbox games have had their servers shut down besides fifa, nfl etc? It seems this affects sony platforms more than microsofts?

Microsoft own millions of servers, so it’s less costly for them.

5 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

This is a major factor in me deciding to be PC only from now on. One piece of kit that i can upgrade incrementally that will play the library of games i have amassed over the gaming generations. It's a pity as the consoles have nailed the social aspect (party chat etc), but dick moves like this from Sony don't help matters.  

Yeah, it's probably the main issue that will make me change from consoles to PC sometime in the future - together with the Steam library.