Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

Quandary - PC has quick enough GPU for non-VR and enough RAM, but CPU isn’t quick enough and I don’t have a VR headset or a 4K monitor.

Or, no console at all, but 4K telly.

I’m leaning toward the console route to be honest. A PS5 is likely going to be cheaper than the upgrades I need on the PC, and at least on a big 4K telly I can live without VR for a bit.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jammy said:

Quandary - PC has quick enough GPU for non-VR and enough RAM, but CPU isn’t quick enough and I don’t have a VR headset or a 4K monitor.

Or, no console at all, but 4K telly.

I’m leaning toward the console route to be honest. A PS5 is likely going to be cheaper than the upgrades I need on the PC, and at least on a big 4K telly I can live without VR for a bit.

Is it releasing on PS5? PS4 currently no? 

(Sure you’ll be able to pick up a relatively cheap PS4 in the coming months with people ditching them in prep for PS5)

15 minutes ago, geldra said:

Is it releasing on PS5? PS4 currently no? 

(Sure you’ll be able to pick up a relatively cheap PS4 in the coming months with people ditching them in prep for PS5)

No doubt @geldra. Am assuming it’ll work on PS5, but maybe not !

10 minutes ago, Jammy said:

No doubt @geldra. Am assuming it’ll work on PS5, but maybe not !

Ah yes. Back compat. Forgot about that. Fingers crossed, yeah. 

Edit: guess we’ll know by Oct 2nd what the state of bc is. 

• 2 weeks later...

interesting interview - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-04-star-wars-squadrons-hud-and-customisation-options-are-entirely-optional-says-ea

esp like this part  

This also applies to your own cockpit experience, too; you can decide to have the information that's usually fed to your HUD display only available via cockpit instruments

making it esp in VR more atmospheric

• Upvote 3

Also it's interesting about the more detailed/hardcore control scheme for power management and I'm wondering how that will work on console.

In the old days of these I was joystick/keyboard (in fact one of my mates actually loved being my "R2 unit" and handling the systems on the keyboard while I concentrated on the dogfighting with the stick, it was ace) but you had the greater volume of shortcut buttons easily available for one touch control if you needed it mid fight. I think Elite Dangerous does a really good job of fairly complex systems controls on a gamepad, but I'm rarely doing lots of that while trying to dogfight so I can't imagine how I'm going to be able to easily swap variable power levels, shield directions, weapon modes, etc... easily. 

In fairness I don't have a HOTAS yet so there may be things on there that help that.

• Upvote 1

If it was me, I'd put these on the D-Pad. Left to push power to weapons, up to shields, right to engines. Down to rebalance. Pretty sure that'd work and keep the sticks for flight controls.

Sure the PC will come with configurable controls. I love the R2/co-pilot story though, I also enlisted a younger brother in the same role!

• 2 weeks later...

A few more details about the ships available here today...

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/pilot-briefing-your-starfighters

Nothing particularly new from what I can see but there is a full confirmation of the 8 craft available:

• T-65B X-wing starfighter

• BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bomber

• RZ-1 A-wing interceptor

• UT-60D U-wing starfighter/support craft

• TIE/ln starfighter (“TIE fighter”)

• TIE/sa bomber (“TIE bomber”)

• TIE/in interceptor (“TIE interceptor”)

• TIE/rp reaper attack lander (“TIE reaper”)

There are also some more comments on the power system including that having 'max' level abilities (like getting overshield at 200% and I presume the drift turn for engines) and some info about non-shielded craft getting some extra ability to dump power between systems. Actual in game balance yet to be seen.

There are also a few bits of new art/screenshots and a few nice little comments from Ian Frazier about their approach to the cockpit designs and treating it like they were building them with parts from an 1970's ILM prop bin.

On 05/07/2020 at 02:28, S0L said:

If it was me, I'd put these on the D-Pad. Left to push power to weapons, up to shields, right to engines. Down to rebalance. Pretty sure that'd work and keep the sticks for flight controls.

Sure the PC will come with configurable controls. I love the R2/co-pilot story though, I also enlisted a younger brother in the same role!

I HAVE to use my right hand that I take away from the controller and then do the wee twisty thing that Luke does. 

• Upvote 1

They would have shown it in the trailers if so. There won't be any planetary surfaces in this - the best we'll get is upper atmosphere.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned EVE: Valkyrie in this thread, if you want to get your class based VR space dogfighting legs ready then this is an excellent bit of prep.
Oddly it's the only (PS)VR game to make me feel a bit wobbly too, I was fine until I started barrel rolling :) 

2 hours ago, Jackson said:

I don't understand the Tie Reaper inclusion either, aren't the Reaper and Striker (with their adaptive wings) supposed to be in-atmosphere based ships?

I think it's just the need to have one of the ships be a supporting class. It wouldn't fit for any of the standard fighters I'd say. I think the Reaper can fly in space though. At least that's how it works in my Star Wars Minatures games. Which are all canon.