Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

34 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I just went through the fleet battle tutorial tonight and want to do this! Who’s playing on PS4 to party up? My PSN is Darwock.

Trouble is I’m in Japan so evening play for me is morning/afternoon for most of you I guess.

edit - also, how on earth did you find each other in game on different platforms?

I already had him on my EA friends list presumably from the Battlefield days, and so he appeared in the social screen in-game. I’m buggered if I can work out how I can find out my EA ID though, every attempt to find out via EA’s websites is met with some kind of failure. 

I made a sign up thread for all things multiplayer and friend code related. Might be easier to separate out from impressions and technical issues.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

No, none of that paying for cosmetics shite please. I'd pay for expansions, just like the old days.

I think there’s a zero percent chance of that happening, unless they simultaneously developed it and then cut it out for release. Five ship squads and 4 flyable ships does suggest there’s a B-Wing and TIE Defender kicking around somewhere, mind. 

Actually being able to make money would help it have a longer life before it dies.

10 minutes ago, skittles said:

Do you honk they’ll add controller support for oculus rift s? I’m struggling with the keyboard when I can’t see it...

Maybe in Untitled Wookie Game.

5 minutes ago, smac said:

So you have to sign up for Origin to play alongside 'mukkers?

EA account, technically, not Origin although they are functionally identical. EA accounts are used on all EA games with an online aspect I believe and you’ve almost certainly already got one if you’ve not been asked to make one. Go to EA Account in the Options menu, iirc. 

Annoying, went to play online in VR with friends today and i'm having my first problem. 

The crosshair that you move with your mouse will not go below the center cross hair of the screen, which means my ship is always flying upwards. Any idea what this could be? Tried a full restart of everything, PC, VR, game but had the same issue when I booted up again.

having problems with the Xbox version where I've completed an objective such as creating a boarding area on a Star Destroyer and then told to follow Wedge. Flew around for a while but the mission doesn't seem to progress. Apart from issues like this it's a cracking game.  

Seems this is a bit of a mess on PC. I’ve had one issue on PSVR, where a mission requirement was met but didn’t trigger, apart from that it’s been plain sailing. Hopefully they sort out the PC issues soon as it’s a great game.

Just played some fleet battle PVP as the Imperials and it clicked. I focused purely on fighter v fighter, and adopted this winning tactic: keep all power in weapons so your lasers get the damage bonus from being overcharged. If someone is gunning for you, use the power convertor to instantly max your engine boost, then zoom back to the safety of your Star Destroyer. That'll get them off you. You can even fly back into the hangar for a full repair if you've taken a lot of damage. Then circle back round and get back into the fight safe in the knowledge it's unlikely someone will be targeting you. I just got 6 player kills, 6 bot kills and only died once. 

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've tried a few more things to fix this game's performance, nothing has changed. It's a stuttery mess. I look forward to a proper patch. 

Apart from this new cross hair issue (which I didn’t have yday) I’ve seen no performance issues which is weird. Playing steam or origin?

1 hour ago, Rev said:

EA account, technically, not Origin although they are functionally identical. EA accounts are used on all EA games with an online aspect I believe and you’ve almost certainly already got one if you’ve not been asked to make one. Go to EA Account in the Options menu, iirc. 

I doubt it - I've never taken an EA game online, deliberately.

5 minutes ago, smac said:

I doubt it - I've never taken an EA game online, deliberately.

Pretty sure it would ask you to make one if you didn’t already have one as soon as you loaded it up.

1 hour ago, skittles said:

Annoying, went to play online in VR with friends today and i'm having my first problem. 

The crosshair that you move with your mouse will not go below the center cross hair of the screen, which means my ship is always flying upwards. Any idea what this could be? Tried a full restart of everything, PC, VR, game but had the same issue when I booted up again.

Anyone got an idea what’s going on here? It’s like it’s not registering down on my mouse. Can’t figure it out 

35 minutes ago, skittles said:

Apart from this new cross hair issue (which I didn’t have yday) I’ve seen no performance issues which is weird. Playing steam or origin?

Origin. Honestly I reckon it's something to do with my TV and g-sync, but even disabling g-sync has no effect.  Like I said, I'll wait for a patch. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I've tried a few more things to fix this game's performance, nothing has changed. It's a stuttery mess. I look forward to a proper patch. 

Try my tweaks earlier in the thread. It works fine now for me. Dunno about VR though, that's probably still fucked.

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

Try my tweaks earlier in the thread. It works fine now for me. Dunno about VR though, that's probably still fucked.

Yeah I'm in VR. I haven't tried it in pancake mode but am condifent I can run that at 60fps without much trouble. I bought this for VR, and will play it in VR ... when they fix it. 

First game I bought in ages. First time I've dusted off the psvr in a good while too.

After a brief wtf moment with the default controls I finally went and fixed (flipped) them. Now I'm closer to being a pilot... A bit! 

9 hours ago, skittles said:

Do you honk they’ll add controller support for oculus rift s? I’m struggling with the keyboard when I can’t see it...

im playing on an older rift just using an Xbox pad, works fine, guess PS4 or whatever other pad would be fine too.

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

Anyone configured HOTAS on PS4? I have a Hori one but it seems like it’s set up like a dual shock pad.

Yeah I posted my mappings on an earlier page. On that topic...

I’ve been using a HOTAS since 2005, but the effort to customize the control mappings in this game have made me realize that I’ve had a fundamental misconception the whole time regarding the throttle.

I assumed that when the lever is all the way back, that’s 0% throttle input, and all the way forward is 100%, with 50% being it’s midpoint position (i.e. 0/50/100). Push the lever all the way to the front to go as fast as you can, and if you want to slow down just bring it back a little - I was assuming any backward motion on the throttle lever would slow you down. This is not how it works though.

It’s read as two inputs - front position is R2 (accelerate) and back position is L2 (brake). The midpoint is neutral - 0% not 50%. The only way to reduce speed is to get the lever in the backwards (braking) position. That makes the whole range of motion unnecessary, as any forward input past neutral will accelerate and if you want to stop quickly you want to be able to get it in the backward position ASAP, so better keep it close to that neutral point.

Anyone got insight into how real aircraft throttles work? I doubt it’s like this somehow. Is this just a flaw in the HORI stick? How does the Thrustmaster throttle behave?

Mine (saitek x-55) is 0% all the way back and 100% all the way forward. That is indeed the normal way, albeit Elite would let me configure it so the midpoint is 0% and have reverse thrust for the first half, if I wanted (I do not).

On 03/10/2020 at 01:27, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I have the Hori too - can you post your butting remaps? I gave up when it was asking me to add functions I didn’t fully understand how to use..

I found this screen on Pologon (owned by EA according to the copy), but cant find it in the game - is there a dedicated HOTAS control setting anywhere?

9E5FDFF8-1694-42D0-916B-B650E70EB408.jpeg

This screen certainly implies that any backward motion on the throttle lever will decelerate with the Thrustmaster. If that’s true, I’m going to have to track one down.