Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

That's the one. Mine is a bit old now so I don't know if they've changed the stick itself at all.

EDIT: the new model even looks a bit nicer quality, orange transparency excepted.

That Polygon review starts out well, but on reading the whole thing, it's basically saying that the Fleet Battles MP mode is amazing, and the VR aspect is very good too. I'm more (which is to say, only) interested in the single player, and there isn't much info on that (although what's there is positive). 

I was going to skip this as I am only interested in the single player portion and figured there wouldn't be much there considering the price. So I'm pleasantly surprised to read Gamespots preview and the talk of around 8 hours of campaign gameplay. Over twice what I imagined it would be.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

That's the one. Mine is a bit old now so I don't know if they've changed the stick itself at all.

EDIT: the new model even looks a bit nicer quality, orange transparency excepted.

Just ordered.... Anything will be better than the pad for this... also it will come in handy for Elite.... :) 

2 minutes ago, SteveH said:

I was going to skip this as I am only interested in the single player portion and figured there wouldn't be much there considering the price. So I'm pleasantly surprised to read Gamespots preview and the talk of around 8 hours of campaign gameplay. Over twice what I imagined it would be.

Almost as long as the original X-Wing campaign then. At least according to howlongtobeat.com

You would have to be Luke Skywalker to complete X-Wing in 8hrs, surely? There were about 40 missions, and it was insanely difficult in places.

Just now, K said:

You would have to be Luke Skywalker to complete X-Wing in 8hrs, surely? There were about 40 mission.

And the final one was an absolute cunt. It's a game I never finished. My brother managed it though.

7 minutes ago, K said:

You would have to be Luke Skywalker to complete X-Wing in 8hrs, surely? There were about 40 missions, and it was insanely difficult in places.

Challenge accepted 8-)

11 minutes ago, K said:

You might be mentally including the expansions, where there was quite a lot of extra missions. 

I honestly don’t know if I finished it. Pretty sure I did. I know I didn’t finish X-Wing Alliance though, the last mission of that was basically impossible. 

The X-Wing games all felt lengthy at the time but might seem pathetic by the standards of Assassins' Creed Odyssey and God of War.

Rather than the length, I'm interested to find out if they have the diversity of the old games' missions. It felt like there were lots of neat setups with optional objectives in those old games.

12 minutes ago, Rev said:

You might be mentally including the expansions, where there was quite a lot of extra missions. 

I honestly don’t know if I finished it. Pretty sure I did. I know I didn’t finish X-Wing Alliance though, the last mission of that was basically impossible. 

I thought the same thing, but looked it up and there were three tours of duty in the original X-Wing. I'm fairly sure the expansions were on top of that.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Rather than the length, I'm interested to find out if they have the diversity of the old games' missions. It felt like there were lots of neat setups with optional objectives in those old games.

Yeah, this is my concern as well. I'm probably looking back with rose-tinted specs, but the original missions were surprisingly varied given that there's not a huge amount you can do with spaceships in open space. They really did a good job of giving each one context and narrative drive.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

And the final one was an absolute cunt. It's a game I never finished. My brother managed it though.

Crikey, yeah. The B-Wing one?

I loved X-Wing and TIE Fighter. I only got into PC gaming mid-97, so binged on quite a few classics I'd missed out on.

8 hours seems perfectly reasonable for £30. It's not like we have the same misgivings about Ico.

Or that most people on the forum don't all earn £50k a year according to an old thread.

I put the left stick to pitch/roll but can’t aim for shit. I think maybe for a pad it’s designed to have pitch and yaw on the same stick, even though that’s not quite how an actual joystick would be. 

16 minutes ago, Pob said:

I put the left stick to pitch/roll but can’t aim for shit. I think maybe for a pad it’s designed to have pitch and yaw on the same stick, even though that’s not quite how an actual joystick would be. 

I’m not sure any of us know how an actual starfighter’s control strategy would work for real, it’s not like the wings need to generate lift or anything. The control stick might very well do pitch and yaw if that’s the most efficient way of aiming a blaster?