Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

As a Star Wars fan this has, rather bizzarely, passed me by. I suppose had it launched in line with one of movies (like Fallen Order last year) it would have had more attention paid to it by media. Even the advertising for it seems a little muted.

11 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Get in, ordered from The Game Collection on ebay.

0B140F68-094F-41D3-98A1-2C37FF9D08D6.jpeg

Have a quick run around and let us know what it's like! Although, you seem to be at work.

Got my dispatch email from Simply a few minutes ago so it looks like it's coming but the cheaper Ebay option seems to be the winner here. :) 

Just now, Thor said:

Is this cross-play across all formats? PC, PS4, and Xbox?

That's my understanding

31 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Have a quick run around and let us know what it's like! Although, you seem to be at work.

got a few conf calls so will relocate to the sofa, probably have to sit through a 3 hour install most likely.

edit: 2.3gb update and 21gb install

I have not seen a single advert for this game. It’s quite odd, I’d have thought the hype train would be like one of the mine carts in temple of doom right now, screeching round corners on two wheels, sparks everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I have not seen a single advert for this game. It’s quite odd, I’d have thought the hype train would be like one of the mine carts in temple of doom right now, screeching round corners on two wheels, sparks everywhere.

I'm reflexively slamming 10ps into the Temple of Doom cabinet now.

Right not reading this topic until Monday. I will be out all weekend so I will install on Friday but no opportunity to play until Monday.

Enjoy your Star Wars day and hope to have some online games on this over the weeks to come! :)

some very brief thoughts as only had about 15 minutes with it so far:

- the game looks and sounds absolutely fantastic

- having quite a bit of initial difficulty getting round the dual stick controls, think thats more me than the game though

- lots of customisable options around controls so there will probably be a sweet spot somewhere

- has a pretty good story mode structure that should keep it fresh and exciting

(the MX keys is lovely, feels so good and the weight of it is so satisfying!)

2 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

- having quite a bit of initial difficulty getting round the dual stick controls, think thats more me than the game though

Is it one for throttle/yaw and another for pitch/roll like Elite Dangerous?

I've got the HOTAS to use to I'm hoping that'll work well but I eventually got pretty comfortable with Elite on the pad.

38 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Default controls are for the throttle control and roll on the left stick and then pitch and yaw is on the right.

That's the totally bizarre way that Battlefield/Battlefront games set the sticks up by default.

Surely roll/pitch should be on the left stick by default? Is that not how actual planes work?

1 hour ago, Takizawa said:

The more impressive thing in that picture is the Logi MX Keys, I :wub: mine.

Me too. Best keyboard I have owned. Period. The add Flow. Oh and have the MX Master 3 mouse too. Blissful. Love Logitech kit. 

12 minutes ago, Strafe said:

How’s that going to work with a HOTAS that only has one stick?

HOTAS has pitch, roll and yaw all on the flight stick (pitch = forward/back, roll = left/right, yaw = rotate left/right) and then the throttle is a simple +/- 100% forward/back with a middle stop (and has most of the buttons on).

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

Surely roll/pitch should be on the left stick by default? Is that not how actual planes work?

I can't remember if Elite had it by default or not, but the roll/pitch together is definitely how I found it best/most natural.

36 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Me too. Best keyboard I have owned. Period. The add Flow. Oh and have the MX Master 3 mouse too. Blissful. Love Logitech kit. 

The mouse is really good too, I can’t get Options to install on my windows 10 machine so can’t do the funky stuff yet.

Back to the game in a half hour or so, will look through the menus to see how much the controls can be changed. 

They don’t feel that intuitive so far, really have to think about what’s where on the pad which led to an unexpected death.

I just had a little play. Was flying about and scanning stuff first. So that's a good sign they've got their priorities straight. 

Can't quite find a control scheme that suits me for pad control yet. So, what's the recommendations for sticks that work on xbox? 

17 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

The mouse is really good too, I can’t get Options to install on my windows 10 machine so can’t do the funky stuff yet.

Wait until you try Flow... :)