46 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Tbf it’s a series I feel is pretty synonymous with the Playstation brand and it feels natural for the demo to be on PS5 first.

This coming from a guy who played through the series in this order, btw:

RE1 (Saturn)

RE2 (N64)

Code Veronica (Dreamcast)

REmake (GameCube)

RE4 (GameCube)

REmake 2 (PS4)

RE7 (PS4)

Snap, only swap the N64 for PC & DC with RE2, and drop RE7 from the list. It's funny how the series still feels distinctly 'Playstation' (with the exceptions of CV and RE4, which I strongly associate with the DC and GC)!

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

PS5 demo is a bit meh. Graphics are very cross-gen, characters quite average, and some of those textures close-up are shocking. Especially the stonework in the dungeon. Scariest thing down there.

It’s been donkeys years since I’ve played a resi game, and I appreciate it’s an (underwhelming) tech demo, but is that still representative of gameplay? I.e. hunt for interactive object, collect item, hunt for next interactive object, use item you just found to unlock next object etc.?

The sound was good though.

Yeah, it was pretty underwhelming, even for a 'visual showcase' as they described it. I got a fair amount of judder in the main hall of the house area too which was a surprise, even allowing for this being a demo, as it doesn't seem the most taxing of game engines. I wouldn't worry about the lack of gameplay as I don't think that was the objective of the demo.

That said, I'll be all over the full game when it releases, although will most likely play on PC rather than PS5, as VII was excellent as was the RE2 remake and, I guess, RE3 but that wasn't a great game to start with so it's maybe as good as it can be. In fact I might try and find a cheap key for the PC version and replay that...

8 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yeah, it was pretty underwhelming, even for a 'visual showcase' as they described it. I got a fair amount of judder in the main hall of the house area too which was a surprise, even allowing for this being a demo, as it doesn't seem the most taxing of game engines. I wouldn't worry about the lack of gameplay as I don't think that was the objective of the demo.

I did wonder about this, games tend to be being worked on up until the last minute and receive day 1 patches. I assume that few conclusions can be drawn from the demo, unless they're really very ahead of development. I can well imagine that even if they are doing well that the software that's running on this demo is months old, but stable enough for public consumption.

4 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I did wonder about this, games tend to be being worked on up until the last minute and receive day 1 patches. I assume that few conclusions can be drawn from the demo, unless they're really very ahead of development. I can well imagine that even if they are doing well that the software that's running on this demo is months old, but stable enough for public consumption.

Yeah, I am confident that the slightly poor performance will be ironed out before release. I was just surprised as it is a mature engine that seems to scale well (based on PC performance at least) so the hiccupping was quite unexpected.

Still very much looking forward to the full game.

Anyone else get a Dr Who - Ghost Light vibe from what we’ve seen of VIIIage so far? Bit of an obscure reference maybe. I haven’t actually seen that particular serial since I was a kid and I don’t remember specifics, but it always left a feint lingering impression.

I think the original Resi 1 probably conjured similar associations at the time, but VIIIage feels particularly similar for me. The creepy Victorian-style mansion decor combined with sinister insecty type women maybe further emphasise the connotation.

I wonder if Capcom had any imagery from it up on their moodboard? Think I’ll try and track down the episodes for a wee revisit.

EDIT: yeah, rewatching that clip, there’s a fucking tech lab in the basement of the decadent mansion, a corpse in a drawer and a plinky-plonky mysterious incidental soundtrack. It’s Resi as fuck :lol: 

EDIT2: There’s even another Everdred-looking villain dude with small round shades, scraggly hair and a moustache, as per VIIIage’s hammer bro.

It’ll all be up on that Capcom moodboard, I’m telling you! :quote:

38 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Anyone else get a Dr Who - Ghost Light vibe from what we’ve seen of VIIIage so far? Bit of an obscure reference maybe. I haven’t actually seen that particular serial since I was a kid and I don’t remember specifics, but it always left a feint lingering impression.

I think the original Resi 1 probably conjured similar associations at the time, but VIIIage feels particularly similar for me. The creepy Victorian-style mansion decor combined with sinister insecty type women maybe further emphasise the connotation.

Archie's comin' oot!

Something about 7 and this just leave me cold, and I don't know what it is or whether i'm just a bit broken. I've loved the series since the first, I even really liked 5 (the Mercenaries was great) and didn't hate 6. I adore the remake of 2, spent 200 hours playing it, and yet I bounced hard off of 7 which is basically the same game mechanically except for the perspective change. Maybe it's just the way the story/theming is moving, I just wish I could be as hyped for this as everyone else seems to be!

11 minutes ago, Fneeb said:

Something about 7 and this just leave me cold, and I don't know what it is or whether i'm just a bit broken. I've loved the series since the first, I even really liked 5 (the Mercenaries was great) and didn't hate 6. I adore the remake of 2, spent 200 hours playing it, and yet I bounced hard off of 7 which is basically the same game mechanically except for the perspective change. Maybe it's just the way the story/theming is moving, I just wish I could be as hyped for this as everyone else seems to be!

I'd say 7 and 2 Remake are quite different, actually. 7 is very linear, cinematic and narrative-driven, only a few notches up from a walking sim, certainly to begin with. It owes a lot to Amnesia and feels like it's been made with the limitations of VR in mind. 2, on the other hand, is a more fleshed-out third-person action game with survival and metroidvania elements. It's closer to 4 than it is to 7, but more tense. I enjoyed 7 but preferred 2 a lot more.

Hopefully, as this isn't also being made for VR, like 7 was, the player will have more agency and there'll be more gameplay akin to 2. I'm hoping for a first-person Resi 4, essentially. Although, Ethan doesn't sound the type to go around suplexing deranged clergymen like Leon did, so maybe I'll have to check my expectations a little there.

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Oh, loads of people get stuck there. It's bad design.

Seeing a lot of (two) people describe stuff I’ve had zero issues with as “bad design” today. Stuff from fucking excellently designed videogames, no less.

The visuals look alright but they didn’t blow me away. They remind me of all the other next gen games we’ve seen released so far - they look good and better than last gen but not a huge leap. It was like this with the PS4/Xbox one when they came out.

I also suspect Village will look a lot more impressive once there’s more enemies, faces on screen and wider open areas. At the moment it has a bit of a tech demo vibe, albeit a rather terrifying one.

Capcom will apparently release a next-gen version of 7 as well, according to the guy who leaked Village in the first place.

I enjoyed the demo as a hors d'oeuvre for the real thing. Nice looking and atmospheric.

Game itself seems like a cross between RE4 (no zombies, case Tetris, merchant, shooting weapons out hands) and Bloodborne's Castle Cainhurst and I'm here for it.

22 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Tbf it’s a series I feel is pretty synonymous with the Playstation brand and it feels natural for the demo to be on PS5 first.

RE1 (Saturn)

RE2 (N64)

REmake (GameCube)

RE4 (GameCube)

REmake 2 (PS4)

RE7 (PS4)

That's interesting, I think of Resident Evil as being a PlayStation series that went multi format. For me, it was a playstation series until Code Veronica (my first RE, didn't like it or finish it) from then it was everywhere. I had forgotten it was on N64.

Resident Evil Code Veronica (DC)

Resident Evil remake (Gamecube)

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)

Resident Evil 5 (xbox 360)

Resident Evil 4 (Wii)

Resident Evil Revelations (3DS)

Resident Evil 5 (xbox 360)

Resident Evil 4 (xbox 360)

Resident Evil 6 (Xbox 360)

Resodent Evil Revelations 2 (Xbox One)

Resident Evil 4 (Xbox One)

Resident Evil 7 (Xbox One)

...looks like they need to get that version out of Resident Evil 4 out ASAP. I'm well overdue buying it for the 1000th time. Funnily enough,  I think of it very much as belonging to the Gamecube,  despite having been on every format. 

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

I was just looking for this to download on PS4 Pro, I guess it isn't powerful enough :P

You know, I reckon it would handle it just fine at 30 or with a drop in resolution.

11 hours ago, Strafe said:

You know, I reckon it would handle it just fine at 30 or with a drop in resolution.

Yeah so do I, considering games like Last of Us 2 looked and played fine.

On 22/01/2021 at 14:21, Calashnikov said:

RE1 (Saturn)

RE2 (N64)

REmake (GameCube)

RE4 (GameCube)

REmake 2 (PS4)

RE7 (PS4)

I have matching numbers! What do I win? Did you skip RE5? It really wasn't that bad. The less said about six though, the better. And strictly speaking I never finished RE7. The Evil Within is about as much horror as I can take these days. RE7 was simply too tense in places.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I have matching numbers! What do I win? Did you skip RE5? It really wasn't that bad. The less said about six though, the better. And strictly speaking I never finished RE7. The Evil Within is about as much horror as I can take these days. RE7 was simply too tense in places.

Yeah, I skipped 5 and 6 intentionally, and had no means to play 0 or O.G. 3 at the time, or the inclination since.

I’ve got PS4 REmak3 shrink-wrapped and ready to go whenever I want on my PS5, and all this VIIIage chat is beginning to get me pretty pumped to do so. It’s probably gonna be my next game ^_^

I'm kind of bummed that the series has strayed from the starting story/theme/tone from the original trilogy. I didn't care for the stupid characters and over-the-top action from Veronica through to 6, and I don't feel like it's a resident evil game if it's 1st-person.

Also it's kind of weird how 7, 2, 3 and 8 are all made using the same engine, when 2 and 3 look spectacular, and both 7 and 8 not so much.

Regardless of this massive whine, I'm a huge fan of the series, and I suppose I just rank 1, 2 and 3 (including the remakes) as top-tier Resi.