No-one is going buy a PS5 on the basis of a tiny Resident Evil demo and I'm sure nobody at Sony thinks that either.

Most likely Sony have a marketing deal with Capcom for the game (the game debuted at the PS5 reveal also) and this is one of the little exclusive things they get out of it, similar to when one console version of a multiplatform game gets exclusive costumes or whatever.

12 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

First time I've felt like I'm missing out by not having a PS5. Oh well.

By missing out on a [short] DEMO?

The game itself is coming on multiple platforms ((PS4, PS5, X1, XSX, PC), even the demo is coming to more platforms in a few months.

Finished the demo last night, really didn't like it. The opening section looks really rough, clearly something thrown together quickly and then you enter some of the 'proper' areas of the game. It's more like an art gallery on rails, collecting items. It adds or shows nothing new. Remember RE7 demo where you watch some horrific events through a house and then you have to go through the house yourself? That was at least a clever idea that really sold the new FPS direction. This has no suspense at all.

Man, there will never be anything like PT ever again in terms of creative highs of a demo/trailer.

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

By missing out on a [short] DEMO?

The game itself is coming on multiple platforms ((PS4, PS5, X1, XSX, PC), even the demo is coming to more platforms in a few months.

Not sure why not being able to play a system-exclusive demo for a game that I'm really looking forward to is hard to understand. I loved the Kitchen demo for VII on PS4 too.

Also, this demo is exclusive to PS5, it's a different multiplatform demo that'll be released later. I'll play Maiden when I eventually buy one.

It’s all marketing, and these cunts know where and how they want to invest in it. An exclusive PS5 demo has the enthusiasts corner of the internet go apeshit, causing a ripple effect across internet platforms that communicates to Plebian Joe that PS5 must be where the party’s at.

12 minutes ago, Majora said:

No-one is going buy a PS5 on the basis of a tiny Resident Evil demo and I'm sure nobody at Sony thinks that either.

Absolutely this. I'll play it in its 60fps sparkly 4K glory when I eventually buy a PS5 but right now I'm happy to save £449 and wait.

7 minutes ago, Parappa said:

This would have been a great time to announce PSVR2 with RE8 in VR as a pack in. 

It's a nice thought but given the pace of hardware development I'd rather they released PSVR2 a bit further into the PS5's lifespan.

2 minutes ago, Capwn said:

After playing the demo, it's laughable that anyone would buy a PS5 to play it.

The demo or the game? Nobody is saying that they'd buy a PS5 for the demo.

Tbf it’s a series I feel is pretty synonymous with the Playstation brand and it feels natural for the demo to be on PS5 first.

This coming from a guy who played through the series in this order, btw:

RE1 (Saturn)

RE2 (N64)

Code Veronica (Dreamcast)

REmake (GameCube)

RE4 (GameCube)

REmake 2 (PS4)

RE7 (PS4)

2 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

The demo or the game? Nobody is saying that they'd buy a PS5 for the demo.

Oh I thought people were wanting a PS5 to play the demo, I misread. I'm very negative about the demo but I'm sure the game will be great and can fully understand people wanting a next gen console to play this. Can't imagine how rough it's going to be on ancient gen.

I'm also suuuuuper skeptical about the MAY release date but I do remember this originally not meaning to be RE8, it was a spinoff so perhaps it has been in the works forever.

21 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Yeah the demo itself won’t be regarded as a particular system seller, but it’s another little thing that contributes to the all important overall MINDFLAYER (share).

You have to buy a PS5 to play the demo, which Sony hopes will make you buy a PS5. Inception.

I thought Resident Evil 7 was specifically designed to be a VR experience. I played it through on PSVR and never had any reason to play it without the headset.  The change to first person view seemed to me to only have come about because of VR.  I really think this could be another great VR experience but if it's not a VR game I'd much prefer third person.

22 minutes ago, JPL said:

You have to buy a PS5 to play the demo, which Sony hopes will make you buy a PS5. Inception.

Plebian Joe sees more positive buzz surrounding the PS5 so now he hopes to buy a PS5. Perception.

26 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think it's more like "you can play Demon's souls! Spiderman! Resident Evil Demo, Controller with a touchpad! Fast SSD! Whatever other thing there is!" It's just part of a big picture. 

EDIT: what Calashnikov said.