RE VIIIAGE/RE8

RubberJohnny

1 hour ago, max said:

Guys, how scary is REVII? I've let my 9 year old use my PSVR since I got it, and he really wants to try Resi. He's pretty hardy; he's seen the film It (original obv.) and goes hunting for rabbits with snares in the local woods. I've taught him how to gut them and he's seen gore, decapitated a few etc. I'm just wondering if this game may be a step too far? Other dad's advice appreciated.

Up to you. Sounds like he’d be ok with it though. 

RE7 is not that scary, Jack Baker is almost a comedy-horror villain, having great fun chasing you around, there's great big comedy moments in the first hour!

I mean you shouldn't let a 9 year old near it, but that's about appropriate content not fear.

Once you’re in the house you’re basically just sneaking around the big scary man, but there’s some exceptionally violent stuff during the prologue. I watched loads of shit as a child but playing this would have given me nightmares I reckon.

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

I agree. My 7 year old isn't technically old enough for the age certificate, but he's forever gutting animals and gnawing the flesh from household pets.

He's even asking about what human viscera looks like. I think he might be a doctor one day!

I swear this was a note I found on a corpse in one of the resi games. 

5 hours ago, max said:

Guys, how scary is REVII? I've let my 9 year old use my PSVR since I got it, and he really wants to try Resi. He's pretty hardy; he's seen the film It (original obv.) and goes hunting for rabbits with snares in the local woods. I've taught him how to gut them and he's seen gore, decapitated a few etc. I'm just wondering if this game may be a step too far? Other dad's advice appreciated.

Dude. No. Play the first hour or two yourself at least to make the call. It's pretty intense and terrifying. 

Also. Ffs. Gore isn't scary. It's nature. 

Being strapped into a chair and watching a madman cut his sons  hand off inches from your face is scary. Watching your wife get possessed and then cut through your hands and arms with a chainsaw is scary. Being stalked through a creepy mansion by a redneck fucker who wants to impale you with a garden fork is scary. 

5 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

RE7 is not that scary, Jack Baker is almost a comedy-horror villain, having great fun chasing you around, there's great big comedy moments in the first hour!

I mean you shouldn't let a 9 year old near it, but that's about appropriate content not fear.

I read this as Jack Bauer at first, and that would have improved the game immeasurably. Only problem is that you'd never actually win.

8 hours ago, robdood said:

Also. Ffs. Gore isn't scary. It's nature. 

Doesn't mean you should expose a nine year old to it unnecessarily, though, does it? 

"Here, son, come look at this cat that's been hit by a car. See how it's head is smashed in and it's eyes are hanging out. Look where it's guts are splayed across the road from where a tyre as ruptured it's chest cavity - see, you can even see the broken ribs sticking out at funny angles. Oh no, son, don't cry. Don't be afraid. That's nature, that is! Err..perhaps don't tell your mother about this, yeah?"

Going down into the basement in VII in VR is one of the most oppressively scary game experiences I've ever had. On a par with the block of flats in Silent Hill 2.

I would, at a push, let a kid sample maybe 5 minutes of Resi 7 on a TV. On VR, definitely not. That would be straight-up traumatic.

35 minutes ago, Broker said:

Is Ethan the guy we played as in VII? Who is the lady Chris shoots? Did Ethan’s wife (Mia?) survive VII? Is it her? What happened in Chris’ DLC?

Yes, Ethan is the main character in 7.

Don’t know who the lady Chris shoots is.

I’ll put the rest in spoilers. 

Spoiler

Yes, she survives and is reunited with Ethan.

Don’t know, could be. Might be Ethan has a new girlfriend who is a secret Umbrella agent. Maybe she was turning into a zombie. Could be a misdirect. We don’t know.

It takes place after 7 has ended. Chris goes through the mines trying to find Lucas and stop him escaping to sell intel on bio weapons.

20 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Resi VII was so scary I found it almost unplayable. Still the only Resi I’ve not yet finished.

Not ashamed Massively ashamed to say it took me 6 months to get through the demo I was so shit scared. Still haven't put myself through playing the full thing :lol:

Played tonnes of other stuff like this in the past and never been phased (even enjoyed the odd jump scare after the fact - I completed Outlast and that's panic inducing on times). But there's something about RE7 that just gets under my skin.

I need to get a grip and play it though, as VIIIage looks brilliant.

Same for me. I never even made it through the demo. I downloaded the full game last night thinking I should play through it before VIII, but chickened out and played Stardew Valley instead.

To be honest I find that a bit intense, so maybe I'm just not built for Resident Evil any more.

Yeah I’ve shat out of the 7 demo every time I attempted it. I watched other people play through it as well, so I know what’s actually in it, but just can’t play through it myself. Of course I’ve just bought the full game off the back of just how fucking much I love the look of VIIIage. I’ll just have to play it on TV as opposed to VR while tanked up on whisky in order to see it through.

12 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I wonder of this talk of a RE4 remake was actually this?

Also the Marguerite Boss Fight is defo not suitable for a kid to play! Let alone the rest of the game.

Supposedly RE8 started life as Revelations 3, but it tested so well internally at Capcom that they adjusted elements of the story and characters so it could be  a full-blown mainline RE game.

• 7 months later...