Aye, this was probably my highlight as I am an absolute fiend for the series. Evoking Resident Evil 4 only made me more one eyed to it too. Apparently this has a bit more of an action / exploration focus which is fine with me. I like to be scared but then empowered through it, Resident Evil 7 was excellent but walked the the tightrope pretty close to the point where I was too tense to play it through (in the early stages at least with Father Baker).

Werewolves and vampires probably indicate it's going to be tonally a bit bonkers which will be a nice change. Hope they really go all in with a B movie vibe.

Highlight of the reveal for me. I did think it was a new Outlast at first as it evoked the second one a bit, but i actually said "YES!" very loudly when VILLAGE became VIII. I'm such a geek for this stupid series of games.

3 minutes ago, APM said:

Highlight of the reveal for me. I did think it was a new Outlast at first as it evoked the second one a bit,

TOTALLY! It looked so much like Outlast 2! I suppose these games all draw on a common well of horror tropes.

I thought this looked excellent; I've not played any Resident Evil since 4 (which is one of my favourite videogames) but I'm keen to give VII a go and this looks like a blend of both of those games.  Beautiful style too.

I'm all in for this. I thought VII was great (on TV. Too scared to play it on vr), so I'm looking forward to it. Really hope they go full b-movie, punching werewolves and that. I want to lob a holy water garlic grenade into a nest of vampires. Then run away, yelping like a wimp.

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

I thought this looked excellent; I've not played any Resident Evil since 4 (which is one of my favourite videogames) but I'm keen to give VII a go and this looks like a blend of both of those games.  Beautiful style too.

You need to play 7.  It's the fucking BEST. :wub:

Stoked for 8, too.  Looks reeeeeal good.  I particular loved the 1920s looking flashbacky bits.  And the mansion.  And the snow. Just fucking all of it, really. 

3 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Resi VII was so scary I found it almost unplayable. Still the only Resi I’ve not yet finished.

I had to stop for the same reason, although I've been considering picking it back up in the past few weeks.

Yeah there were definite moments where I had to just force myself to just run screaming at enemies / scary dark rooms just to get through it. 

I didn't find resi 7 scary, but it was incredibly tense at times. It pretty much all goes out the window in the final quarter anyway, turning into a bit of a shit shooting gallery in some mines. Really let down what had come before. 

Tension, fear, whatever it was it was brilliant and unbearable. There’s something about how the game handles going round corners that is unparalleled in its ability to provide terror.

@robdood running screaming at things is the best plan to get through it I’ve heard so far. :lol:

I got as far as the hall in the RE7 VR and noped the fuck out of it, citing “motion sickness.”

I am SO hyped by that VIIlage trailer however it’s got me fiending to actually man up finally and play 7. Is the Gold Edition with all the DLC worth getting? I see it has Chris stuff in it that might help generate even more hype for VIIlage.

25 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I got as far as the hall in the RE7 VR and noped the fuck out of it, citing “motion sickness.”

I am SO hyped by that VIIlage trailer however it’s got me fiending to actually man up finally and play 7. Is the Gold Edition with all the DLC worth getting? I see it has Chris stuff in it that might help generate even more hype for VIIlage.

RE VII is great and well worth playing. Although as @Doctor Shark points out above, the last section does devolve into a big shooting gallery. For me though, that doesn't wipe out how good it was in the first sections of the game.

The DLC is basically a grab bag of minigames. Some of which I played once and will never play again, but the others were great fun and add to the story. The Chris part was one of the latter.

Am I right in thinking the Chris DLC was free to all owners of the base game? Like, I might be as well just buying the base game and downloading the Chris DLC at no extra cost, rather than pay extra for the Gold Edition which includes the lesser paid-for DLC that you mention?

9 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Am I right in thinking the Chris DLC was free to all owners of the base game? Like, I might be as well just buying the base game and downloading the Chris DLC at no extra cost, rather than pay extra for the Gold Edition which includes the lesser paid-for DLC that you mention?

Ah, good point. Yeah, I think two of them were free but I can't remember if the Chris one was one of them. Sorry, not very helpful.

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

So do we think this will be available in VR as well? I hope so.  Having bailed a few times on 7 I eventually finished it in VR and it was incredible. 

It would be a crime against gaming if it isn't. REVII VR is the most incredible experience I've had as a gamer in the last twenty years. If it gets released and is patched later for a new headset, I'll wait.

Guys, how scary is REVII? I've let my 9 year old use my PSVR since I got it, and he really wants to try Resi. He's pretty hardy; he's seen the film It (original obv.) and goes hunting for rabbits with snares in the local woods. I've taught him how to gut them and he's seen gore, decapitated a few etc. I'm just wondering if this game may be a step too far? Other dad's advice appreciated.