IGNORED

(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

IT LOOKS GLORIOUS :wub:

I have to admit, I did assume we would be waiting until 22 or even 23 before we saw anything that was leaps ahead of what was possible on PS4&co. Especially with the cross-gen stuff being so dominant. But man, Insomniac killed it with this game. If this is what they can do on PS5 in just the first year of its existence... I can't even begin to imagine what their next PS5 exclusive will look like.

THIS is what the inner graphics whore in all of us early adopters wants to see, whether you admit that to yourself or not. Just beautiful, gorgeous stuff. I'm in awe every time I start it up.

I knew this game was going to look incredible (and it absolutely does) but my most pleasant surprise with this is how much I'm enjoying the gameplay. I want to say it's like  Returnal Jr or something but that sounds like a negative and I don't mean it to be. This is my first R&C game I really wasn't impressed by the opening section, but once you start planet hopping, working on side quests and upgrading weapons it settles into a really satisfying loop. Not denying that it helps that it's the best looking game I've ever seen, mind. 

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

This game does not look as good as a Pixar movie. It’s technically impressive but not *that* good. Reminds me a bit of Jet Force Gemini so far, but way way easier. 

How about Dreamworks? 

3 hours ago, the_debaser said:

This game does not look as good as a Pixar movie. It’s technically impressive but not *that* good. Reminds me a bit of Jet Force Gemini so far, but way way easier. 

It's a shitload better looking than the queens corgi though 😁. I've been wowed a few times with it, performance/rt all the way. Dropped into quality mode and last about 5 mins on 30fps. 

Not planning on rushing it and trading in as I'm happy to rinse the side quests and ng+ on this. 

I found myself opting for fidelity mode in the end, which is bonkers as I would class myself as a high refresh rate evangelist. The difference between the two is enough for me to take the dive to 30, especially with Insomniacs phenomenal motion blur.

I chose 30 over 60, and I am using motion blur. What is wrong with me!

As for the argument of being at Pixar quality,  I would say we are pretty much there. I think the biggest difference is object density and some animations clipping. But we are in a reactive environment. 

Honestly, it is the best looking game yet.

I thought the second world was a fair step down graphically to be honest. Still good looking but the first world was so incredibly dense and detailed whatever followed it was always going to struggle to live up to it.

46 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I realise it's cool to piss on everyone's chips and all but this is absolutely staggering.  I keep on standing there like an idiot, not realising the cut scenes have ended.

Look, he hasn't played it himself and probably has no intention of doing so, but he has watched a performance video to confirm his notion that it isn't fun. And he has gone to the trouble to come into this thread to share said opinion, hopefully to convince everyone who *has* played it that they're absolutely wrong when they say it's fun and they're having a blast.

Has anyone else got to the Space Bar bit yet? That’s where the graphics really blew me away for the first time. Pixar films are just that - pre-rendered films. This is real time and you’re actually playing, it’s not just a cutscene. It’s astonishing!

Just managed to fit a quick go in on the battle arena and the third bronze rank battle is pretty tough on the hardest difficulty, so there is some real challenge in there too!

1 minute ago, CrichStand said:

Has anyone else got to the Space Bar bit yet? That’s where the graphics really blew me away for the first time. Pixar films are just that - pre-rendered films. This is real time and you’re actually playing, it’s not just a cutscene. It’s astonishing!

Just managed to fit a quick go in on the battle arena and the third bronze rank battle is pretty tough on the hardest difficulty, so there is some real challenge in there too!

Just holding forward though, innit? ;)

I managed to put a couple of hours in this morning and it just looks stunning. I’m stopping every few minutes to just look around. Thankfully it plays fantastically too. Itching to get back and play some more tonight.

Performance RT mode, of course. 

5 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Yeah, on the higher difficulty levels you do need to think about the enemies you're facing, and the weapons you use. I'm playing one notch down from normal though, as I just want to enjoy the story (which is a nicely done tale of friendship) and have a blast, which I am very much having. 

Quick query for those who have the game: how does it control?

To be more specific: I've only ever played the first Ratchet & Clank (PS2 and remastered), and never got on with it because of the controls, which just felt weirdly 'weightless' - lacking in friction or momentum. It's something I also found with Sunset Overdrive, which I wanted to love but whose sense of motion always felt a bit off, floaty and insubstantial. But then, Insomniac also made the recent Spider-Man games, both of which feel absolutely lovely to move around in. I obviously don't expect Ratchet to control like Spider-Man, but how does this compare to R&C1/SO in terms of 'weight'?

I have it on hard and I think that's about right in terms of challenge. I initially put it on the hardest difficulty and was dying constantly, it just wasn't fun as you had to stay in cover all the time and it was ruining the flow. There's an enormous gap in difficulty between hard and hardest.

Played a couple of hours on Perf RT, on the highest difficulty, early thoughts:

It is incredibly pretty.

The gunplay and traversal are very good.

The performances are excellent.

The hardest difficulty is genuinely a nice challenge, I’m dying plenty but anything less would be a trivial cakewalk.

I like hunting and collecting all the things.

I like the side missions (Clank’s lemmings thing, and the spiderbot).

The haptics are well done.

However:

I don’t think graphically it’s the best thing I’ve ever seen, there are games in this cross-gen period that have wowed me more.

I don’t think much of the map.

The double jump is too short, though the air dodge sort of makes up for it.

It really fucking needs an always run option - Returnal has spoiled me.

Loving it so far.

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Quick query for those who have the game: how does it control?

I would say exactly as it looks, and very similar to its predecessors. You feel like you're controlling the crosshairs as the character moves in tandem with the focal point. 

It's not the strength of the game, basically. I'm enjoying it for the spectacle and the E-number sensory overload. It's no mechanical revolution. It's a very polished, spectacular, high-energy romp with very familiar gameplay. 

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

there are games in this cross-gen period that have wowed me more

What has wowed you more out of interest? I haven’t played this yet nor Returnal. I thought Miles RT60 was brilliant and Ghost of Tsushima looks amazing (but I never played that on PS4). 

And finished, that was bloody fantastic! :D

Spoiler

They clearly took a leaf out of Marvel's book toward the end, but that really fits in with the story it tells. 

The set pieces are great throughout, and as final boss fights go, that was a good'un! 

They have a NG+ mode too! :D

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

And finished, that was bloody fantastic! :D

Reveal hidden contents

They clearly took a leaf out of Marvel's book toward the end, but that really fits in with the story it tells. 

The set pieces are great throughout, and as final boos fights go, that was a good'un! 

They have a NG+ mode too! :D

I found subsequent play throughs of the PS4 game great fun, mopping stuff up on the maps, harder difficulty but carrying over the more powerful weapons.