IGNORED

(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve just made a start on this and I’m very impressed. Not just by the visuals, but by how well it’s paced - gets you straight into the action, story doesn’t feel drawn out, and they’ve made some great changes to the gameplay to increase the overall pace of it - I don’t remember any of the other games having a sprint, for example, and the dash is nice, too. 

Very impressed. It’s so slick that I can almost see why Sony wanted £70 for it. 

I've never really been a fan of this series but needed something new and shiny to give my PS5 a proper work out, rather than just upscaled PS4 games that I've been playing recently. I got a second hand copy from AVForums and blitzed it over a few days.

Performance RT is a thing of beauty, as someone who grew up with the 8 bit era I'll never tire of being amazed by real reflections in shiny floors & walls.

As for the game, I really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would.

The haptics with the different weapons work really well and give them all a real unique feel.

Character wise, I did prefer Rivet & Kit to Ratchet & Clank. Maybe that's down to them being new though.

One negative - I could have lived without the Glitch antivirus bits, even if they did look cool.

To sum up - Great game and a real showcase for modern graphics engines, sound, character design & animation.

Like most story based games, I doubt I'll replay it so if anyone wants a bargain copy you should check out the trading forum.

I'm amazed at how good this is. First impressions were good, but since then I've got the hover boots, used them to zip around the open ended level you find them in, did the Titanfall 2-esque level and just did that great bit of railgrinding when you meet The Fixer. The writing is excellent, too.

If you'd told me I would prefer this to Psychonauts 2, I'd have laughed in your face, but I honestly think it's a much better game.

• 1 month later...

Finished with the Platinum today, a very enjoyable, well paced game that looks amazing and doesn’t outstay it’s welcome. I loved the Rift aspect, being able to zip across stages to get behind your enemies etc. was great and the Rift dimensions made for a nice change of pace. Everything about the game seemed to be an improvement over the PS4 game, even the Clank and virus stages 😀.

I think they missed a trick making Ratchet and Rivet virtually the same but other than that it was top drawer entertainment.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MansizeRooster said:

It's eventually going to be free on PSPlus or PSNow. I'm happy to wait for that.

Most likely. Buying a disc based game in Tesco is time consuming so I never picked it up. I’d probably take if for the same price digitally to be fair though. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished this last night after playing through bits and pieces here and there over the past few months

I really enjoyed it in the end. Plenty of fun to be had collecting weapons and costumes. And about the weapons… they’re brilliant!

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Does it need it? I thought the framerate was locked in whatever mode. 

It'll be patched to allow, I'm assuming, an unlocked framerate. 

There's a list of games due to be patched that was posted in the PS5 thread: