(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

Yeah it has some of the worst invisible walls I've seen in a game for years. It's one thing to put them at the very far edges of a sprawling map but quite another to stick them at the top of two small crates stacked on top of each other which you should easily be able to jump on top of.

I've also had a couple of classic Uncharted-esque moments where I dropped five foot onto a platform but because it was off the critical path I died instantly.

It was definitely rushed to hit release date. Entire floors disappearing, Mrs Zurkon falling through the floor, a boss fight where I couldn't move and selecting 'restart from last checkpoint' bizarrely moved me forward to the next phase of the boss fight each time.

It's getting buggier and buggier for me the closer I get to the end. Random deaths, none of the preview weapon videos in the shop play anymore, cutscenes not loading.

Finished this up last night. It's mostly a strange collision of incredibly polished visuals with bland twenty year old game design. More than any game so far it stretches the PS5's SSD and gives you an idea of what next gen games will be capable of in the future - traversing huge detailed levels at great speed with next to no pop in feels very new and to be fair to Insomniac that all feels great - the fast skating is evocative of Jet Set Radio which is no bad thing, the DualSense really helps here too.

The level design though, once you're over the incredible visuals, feel as dated and as charmless as any of the previous installments as do the one note enemies with barely any diversity. The mechanics also feel dated, you're punished for stepping off the critical path for sure, there's way too many bugs and just basic stuff like trying to trigger talking to Ms Zurkon is a real faff which frequently requires you to back up and go in at a different angle in a way that I haven't really seen since Bioshock. Baffling for a game that's had so much attention lavished on it in other areas. If it played with any of the beauty and variety of the visuals you'd have a real winner here but it doesn't. For me the Edge 7 was generous. 

I thought it would be very average but it's little more than a proof of concept for the SSD. I'm not disappointed because my expectations were so low but I am glad I didn't pay 70 quid for it. 

It's good that some people enjoyed it more than me. I probably enjoyed it more than some other people. It makes no difference to what we each think about it, which is nice. 

Interesting to read that quite a few people are now having similar issues to the points I raised earlier in the thread.

I’m now approaching the end of my 2nd playthrough and for me, the game has gone from being a 5/10 with some great sections, to a strong 8/10, maybe even a  9/10 throughout. Challenge mode on the top difficulty level adds so much to the gameplay. The added challenge makes it fun, you don’t feel like you’re just going through the motions. 

The main thing that changed my mind has been playing it like a classic 16bit game, such as Sonic or Streets of Rage. Blast through the levels and it’s fantastic. However, the way the game is set up sort of pushes you into playing more like other big AAA first party Sony games and there just isn’t the depth to back that up. It ends up feeling very shallow and flat in places when played like that. Was going to trade it in but have decided to keep it for now as I can see myself playing through it again at some point. 

Finished this a couple of days ago. Really enjoyed it all though I liked the first part of the game better than the later stages, I really liked the more green and lush environments, also I felt they had a better jumping vs. shooting ratio. Later parts of the game was very much holding down the trigger while strafing.

1 hour ago, grounded_dreams said:

I got a new update today (1.002) was around 500 meg, can't see any patch notes yet for what it includes.

According to resetera it’s now targeting 40fps in fidelity mode.

I got the platinum on this yesterday and thought it was great, overall. Not really a GOTY contender, but an excellent technical showcase and a fun, chaotic shooter. It's a shame about the invisible walls and occasional bugs, though. My thoughts in full in the Completed Games thread:

Also, Dunkey has reviewed this now, and, as usual, is pretty much on the money:

33 minutes ago, sammy said:

Well, kind of. If you have a 120hz display, there is now a toggle so you can play either regular fidelity mode at 30fps or have it target 40. Obviously if you don't have a 120hz display, which is most people, you won't be able to take advantage of it.

I've just given it a try and Fidelity mode is now noticeably smoother and more responsive. It goes without saying it's not as buttery as the performance modes but I think for a lot of people this will make Fidelity mode a much more viable option.

Put it this way, I still haven't finished the game and am considering playing the rest in Fidelity at 40fps, whereas before I used performance RT, just because it's noticeably sharper, has all the bells and whistles and is now significantly more responsive and less blurry. I hope more developers enable this kind of option for people with 120hz displays. (Of course the actual best option would be for Sony to pull their finger out and finally enable VRR).

8 hours ago, sammy said:

It is. 120hz enabled displays can run fidelity mode at 40fps.

It's not too shabby.

10 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Why do you need a 120hz TV to run 40fps?

Because it can show the same frame for 3 screen refreshes for a smooth display without judder. Much like 30fps on a 60Hz display. Sony need to get their VRR house in order really.

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

That makes sense! And how does VRR help that?

The display essentially only refreshes the display when it is sent a frame, so the refresh rate perfectly matches the fps of the game, even when it changes. It does not need to run the game at an arbitrary fps number that is a whole fraction of 60 or 120.

A good example is Flight Simulator on the Xbox. It will be capped at 30fps (for now) on normal displays, but VRR capable displays will have an unlocked framerate which can be displayed without stutter or tearing.

2 hours ago, Oz said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this game. And the tech is amazing. Why am I so bored? 

Because you wish your were playing Destiny instead you are dead inside? ;)

Finally finished this today. On the whole it was fine to good but contrary to some other people I was pretty glad it finished when it did. Ratchet is a pretty one-note series and I never want any of the games to overstay their welcome. Plus the boss/enemy variety in this one is so low that I really didn't want 5-10 more hours of it.

The story starts off promisingly but the whole resistance stuff faded into the background really quickly and it never really goes anywhere intriguing after that. It very quickly becomes 'go here to fix that/get that'.

Highlights for me were the entire opening couple of hours (jumping around the rooftops of that incredibly visually dense city was a thrill the game never quite reached again for me), the slightly survival horror type level, the insanely lavish rail grind section in the mine level I think, and the pirate level.

Lowlights were all the invisible walls, bugs, lack of boss variety and the feeling that Insomnaic never really pushed any gameplay idea they had further than the bare minimum.

Yeah, it's another 7/10ish Ratchet game. I wouldn't mind a sequel where they do significantly more with the dimension hopping, time crystals and whatnot.